Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm havin' probs and I wonder if I mixed up the diaphragm springs.

Cobra Drag Pipes, K&N on the carb, Dynojet 3195 kit.

Started at 150 main and Dynojet needle...no power bad stumble.
Moved needle no help.
132.5 main no help.
Back to stock with main and needle, except K&N is still on...same thing bad stumble and no power.

I'm starting to second guess myself.

Question is which is the heavier diaphragm spring, stock or Dynojet?

Suggestions Please

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
tcaba, I had a similar set-up and used dyno-jets exact instructions with the DJ-160? jet that came with the Volusia kit. Anyway, I followed their instructions to the letter and my bike ran like a scared deer. I had reasonably opened up Jardine pipes and a K&N. I would go back and see if you varied at all from the DJ instructions, if you lost the little rubber donut thing or accidentally poked a hole or didn't seal the diaphragm. The I would fiddle with the richness adjustment screw and it should dial in.

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
tcaba, I had a similar set-up and used dyno-jets exact instructions with the DJ-160? jet that came with the Volusia kit. Anyway, I followed their instructions to the letter and my bike ran like a scared deer. I had reasonably opened up Jardine pipes and a K&N. I would go back and see if you varied at all from the DJ instructions, if you lost the little rubber donut thing or accidentally poked a hole or didn't seal the diaphragm. The I would fiddle with the richness adjustment screw and it should dial in.

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
OK, here's what you do. Get it open again, make sure everything is as it should be and then follow the instructions needle on third clip, mixture adjusted. 3.5 turns, DJ 160 jet. Make sure the donut and diaphragm are not punctured and n place. WHy did you take the springs off?

Anyway assemble it according to hoyle and you should be OK

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
OK, here's some more info. DOn't mix and match use the dyno spring with the dyno needle and the dyno jets. Its how I got the results.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I'm gonna go to 160, was at 150. Changed spring because it came with kit. And 3.5 turns. Cold outside so I guess test ride will have wait til tomorrow.....NAH

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't think from 150 up to 160 would have made that kind of difference BUT it did. Now to get rid of that last little bit of stumble do I need to raise the needle(it's at 3) or open the mixture a little? Man it's cold outside!

Thanks Mr. E

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
From my understanding, the pilot jet and fuel mixture screw control the fuel ratio up to 1/3 throttle. The needle is mostly responsible for everything from 1/3 - 3/4 throttle and the main jet is responsible for 3/4 - full throttle, so it depends on where you’re having problems…

Depending on your elevation, climate and configuration, you might need to use a larger jet than mentioned in the forums. I think these configurations are for ideal conditions at sea level.

It took me approximately 5 tries to get it right, but I found the following best for my situation:
40 pilot (Mik)
152.0 main (142.5 Mik)
needle on the 3rd notch
screw @ 3 1/2 turns

I’m using a single stage UNI filter with Cobra Drags @ 1500 – 3000 elevation.

Do yourself a favor, once you make changes to the jets, take the bike out for a 30+ minute ride. Too rich the bike will run OK cold but start acting sluggish when warm. Too lean, the bike will have poor performance at lower RPMs (sometimes lurching and stuttering).
Good Luck!

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
Get the bike good and warm, go for a ride and THEN finish the fine tuning. You probably will need to work the richness screw a snerk one way or the other to get that smooth idle and poppy throttle response. You'll need to ride the bike for a while to get it hot enough to really make your adjustments stick.

Now its a controversey here but my advice is not to fiddle with any pilot adjustments. This is what the Suzuki techs at Dyno Jet say and my bike ran really well without any fiddling. I'm glad to see its working out for ya.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright 160 main mixture was at 3 turns had some stumble as it wound up so now at 3.5. I'm curious though...I see everyone talk about 150 and sometimes 155 mains so why did I have to go to 160? Starting, idle and warm up seems OK so I'll stick with the stock pilot.

I really appreciate all the input from you guys ;)

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
Because that's the one dyno jet says to use. Dynojet has a full team of Suzuki techs and when I called them they said that's the one to use. Funny, its the one that works the best, too.

Rememebr different brand jets are sized differently. Many of these guys are using Mikuni 150s, which are about the same as the DJ160.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know why I had 150 on the brain but now it makes more sense looking at the matrix. Rode for an hour yesterday, still not quite right. Pickup is not quite there and a little stumble around 70. Richness at 3.5 wondering if I should go towards 4 or raise the needle a notch.

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
You'll need to fiddle with the richness adjustment a bit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got to be missin something... Dyno 160, moved mixture from 2 to 4.5 and raised/lowered needle. All the neighbors are looking at me cause I keep ridingv out then ridin back in. The only thing that got rid of the high end stutter was reducing the air flow via the filter. It runs pretty good now. So based on that, I'm assuming that I'm sucking too much air, correct? does that mean I need a larger jet? 170, 180, 1 million?

·
Premium Member
14,413 Posts
Two things, have you made sure you haven't lost the donut (o-ring) Mr E referenced? If you look at page 13 in this doc you can see the o-ring
http://www.filesavr.com/rejetcarb

Also when the needle slides back in you should feel/hear a slight "pop" or "snap" when it clicks into place.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep the donuts there, although I have wondered if I'm getting a good seal. and Yep the needle clicks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts