Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got around to pulling my carb and installing the 155 main and servicing the carb. I had to run choke while riding constantly since I got Stella. She wasn't happy. A little birdy chirped in my ear...." She'll wake up a lot. " and wake she did. Going from clogged, varnished stock setup to debaffled pipes, K&N air, and a 155 main was a very nice, very smooth, no choke even on cold starts surprise. I get on, get stretched, get riding. Love this bike my friends. Love... this... bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I finally got around to pulling my carb and installing the 155 main and servicing the carb. I had to run choke while riding constantly since I got Stella. She wasn't happy. A little birdy chirped in my ear...." She'll wake up a lot. " and wake she did. Going from clogged, varnished stock setup to debaffled pipes, K&N air, and a 155 main was a very nice, very smooth, no choke even on cold starts surprise. I get on, get stretched, get riding. Love this bike my friends. Love... this... bike. View attachment 145962

·
Registered
24 Posts
HI love the idea of my 04 wakening up and feeling young again
so sent a email to the garage where i bought her from to ask about re jetting her and adding a performance air filter
i have already be baffled the exhausts but would they be better completely removed out of the exhaust
so when all done what could i expect from her compared to now
cheers in advance
here's
109925328_754499692028811_7589721880970908237_o1222223.jpg
109925328_754499692028811_7589721880970908237_o1222223.jpg
my old girl

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In short mine was running sub par from the beginning. Carb was vanished. A good cleaning would've gone a long way. But I took it 3 steps up right from the beginning so I don't have a stock reference. What I do know is, that they run excessively lean factory and by jetting it within debaffled pipes and kn filter that I've no issues keeping with my buddies 1200hd. I'm not saying id win the race but an 883 wouldn't have a chance. Plus that's not what we're riding for anyway. Just nice to keep pace ride smooth with no choke issues and highway isn't an issue anymore for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In short mine was running sub par from the beginning. Carb was vanished. A good cleaning would've gone a long way. But I took it 3 steps up right from the beginning so I don't have a stock reference. What I do know is, that they run excessively lean factory and by jetting it within debaffled pipes and kn filter that I've no issues keeping with my buddies 1200hd. I'm not saying id win the race but an 883 wouldn't have a chance. Plus that's not what we're riding for anyway. Just nice to keep pace ride smooth with no choke issues and highway isn't an issue anymore for me.
sounds perfect that is all i want as i ride with 4 mates who have harleys and 2 with honda goldwimgs 1 on a indian and 1 on a victory so would be nice if i could keep up with them , not as if they go mad but on a good empty road they may go up to 90mph then i get left behind so fingers crossed this will sort this as i really love my vl800
will let you know how it goes , cheers for the help

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll tell you this much, I had no issues hitting 100mph right quick so I don't believe you'll experience any issues either. Cheers.

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
The stock VL800 produces 42.5hp. By adding a high flow air filter, rejetting the carb, installing a "performance exhaust" and getting a professional tune, the most you are going to get is an additional 3.5hp. That's it. There is no "hidden power, waiting to be unleashed". It will make the throttle response better and it will start and idle more easily with the "upgrades". But your fuel economy will suffer and it makes little difference to the freeway performance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm guessing your stats are for whp. Almost every site I've researched shows about 52hp. Either way peak hp and torque can virtually mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. If I produce even 2 to 3hp more throughout the power band on a vehicle under 550lbs it's going to perform better all around. If the fueling and fuel to air ratio is metered properly the bike can make that 42 or 52 hp sooner and for a longer period of time therefore changing the whole rides performance enough to say " it woke up" especially in my case where as I explained earlier it wasn't running well at all from the moment I purchased it and I went to upgrades instead of stock immediately. So I hope this sheds some proper light.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to stats the bike produces 52hp. Not that it matters as I'll assume yours are whp figures. Either way gaining 2 to 3 hp on a bike weighing under 550 lbs when applied to the entire power band as opposed to only looking at peak numbers is more than enough to say " it woke up" . In the grand scheme of things peak numbers mean nothing. But as I mentioned earlier in my case, I went from a stock setup running poorly straight to upgrades which made a very large difference in mine. If these performance additions did not make any difference then no one would purchase them. It's not the reason we ride anyway, but to have the power come on sooner and last longer while achieving great smooth runability and keeping up with my buddies HD 1200 is well worth it to me all day long. Hope this sheds some light.

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
The "52hp" was measured at the crank. At the rear wheel, it produces 42.5hp. Always has, always will. Not that putting in bigger jets is necessarily a bad thing, but comparing the performance of a poorly maintained stock bike to the performance of one with a fresh tune and larger jets is a bit disingenuous. You'd feel the same difference with a fresh set of stock jets. The actual gains are really only measured in the butt dyno. It doesn't accelerate any faster, nor does it improve the top speed. (Yes, you hit 100. A stock bike with a clean fuel system can do the same).

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
The advertised sub 550lbs is the dry weight, which is the bike only. It does not include the weight of a full fuel load, oil, coolant and brake fluid. The actual weight of the bike is 611lbs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Either way you dice it 2 to 3 hp gain over the whole power band on a 600 lbs bike will make a good performance difference as well given power to weight ratio. The biggest improvement isn't the power anyway. It's how smooth the power delivery becomes. In my case it'll fire up fine cold without choke even. And stated by many motorcycle techs that these bikes run excessively lean on 132 factory jets and cause running issues. So if you upgrade to larger jets and gain these benefits why knock someone for taking about it. If I or the last guy feels and appreciates the improvement in the overall performance of their bike, then why does it bother you so much that you'll take the time to throw in your 2 cents just to take the happiness from someone for doing these upgrades? I on the other hand understand that each should build for their own liking. And if they want to state how much better things got for them because they appreciate the bike and the ride, who am I to knock the wind out of their sails? Like in many many other groups and forums designed to encourage excite and help.... if your not helping by even listening without negative remark, then your hindering. In this case it's a conversation I don't care to be part of. But thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
Ooh shit what have i started here
Nothing at all. Just pointing out that for the effort and expense, there is very little to gain. If you have a reason to tear the bike down and work on the carb, by all means go for it. But if you're itching for more power, or better freeway performance, or higher top speed, save your money. Those improvements aren't there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
would love to but since i had a heart by pass and suffered a stroke this is the heaviest bike i can now ride had to sell my harley as it was to heavy for me

·
Administrator
29,637 Posts
I really do love dynojet kits. I tuned my volusia and opened it up with a new exhaust. I used the dynojet kit with dj155s I believe and the bike ran wonderfully if you follow the instructions to the letter. The best part is the terrific throttle response

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts