Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about changing the look of my motorcycle. I have cheap light bar with turn signals. I would like to remove it and use halogen or 10watts LED driving light and clamp on both sides of lower inner crash bar. is there any recommendation for good look?

let me know.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
295 Posts
Lights.

I just picked up and installed a set of jury akin driving lights. I used the handlebar mounted switch and relay. Easy install and brightens up the front of the bike. They are the classic tear drop shape. I only paid 115 for them on ebay. Harley also makes a set that run about 160 and come with a switch. They are flatter and oval.

Engine Guard-Mounted Fog Lamps-68913-98C | Auxiliary Lighting | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

Engine Guard Mounted Driving Lights | Lighting | Küryakyn

Adrian

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just picked up and installed a set of jury akin driving lights. I used the handlebar mounted switch and relay. Easy install and brightens up the front of the bike. They are the classic tear drop shape. I only paid 115 for them on ebay. Harley also makes a set that run about 160 and come with a switch. They are flatter and oval.

Engine Guard-Mounted Fog Lamps-68913-98C | Auxiliary Lighting | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

Engine Guard Mounted Driving Lights | Lighting | Küryakyn

Adrian
Thanks for suggestion! Looks nice from the pictures. That's something I would like to try.
:wayhappy:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Lights

If you want, I will sell you my jury's mum driving ignite for what I paid for them, 115 shipped. They have been on the bike for a week but I am going to go with the Harley lights.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'm wondering what did he have this morning, a "liquid breakfast"? :boozin: :biglaugh:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was concerned myself!

And with the lights I will include the switch harness from the harley lights since I already have one installed.
The driving light here in Kansas is legal to leave it on. I would just install relay and connect to low beam connection of headlight. High beam would turns off driving light. Most important thing is that driving light should be 25ft distance, and not blinding the incoming cagers.

When I first got my Vol, Headlight was shining 15 ft and I adjusted it to 25 ft. It was much safer that way. A friend of mine had motorcycle back then and he rode on highway at night, he ran into group of deers. He crashed his bike. He said that he did not see it till it's too late. I asked him if his motorcycle headlight adjusted properly to 25 ft? He don't remember but to me it's clearly not adjusted correctly. I told him that I never had issue with deers because I can see it from distance and its eye reflects headlight beam, I slow down to let it cross the road.

I bought cheap (chinese made) Lightbars and it didn't amount much (light too dim for night) . I even modified plastic spotlights from type 1156 short globe bulbs to Cree 6 watts LED. It was a bit brighter but no help at all. I took spotlights out and inverse turn signals. It look kinda funny on my bike because I threw away OEM turn signal bracket :brick: . I checked through Ebay and found Fork clamps so I can install turn signals on fork then throw out rest of the cheap lightbar out.

I wanted to install Driving lights on crashbars. Pictures of Kuryakyn Driving light look sexy on it. I would go for Halogen this time. I saw Cree 10W LED Driving light, I'm leery about this because of my experience with 6W Cree LED and don't know how bright it is at night. If it's as bright as Halogen then I would grab it and hook up directly to Low beam wire without relay because Amperage is low enough. I really want driving light bright enough to shine partly side of road (spread lights on road) so I can see what's lurking on side of the road. Also for safety to allow Cagers see incoming "UFO" triangular lights :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It seems that most of the LED spot lights are bright to look at but they don't cast out that much light in front of the bike. I say go with either PIAA or Kuryakyn spotlights. (Or HD if you have the money.) Those will get you noticed and the road will be lit up nicely. And then there is the HID route too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems that most of the LED spot lights are bright to look at but they don't cast out that much light in front of the bike. I say go with either PIAA or Kuryakyn spotlights. (Or HD if you have the money.) Those will get you noticed and the road will be lit up nicely. And then there is the HID route too.
Agreed!:shades:

I went to Walmart and saw Optronic 55w Pair Driving lights.Optronics 55w Pair Driving Light Kit: Automotive : Walmart.com It matches my bike's bullet turn signals. I would have to buy spotlight mount for crashbar. I can find it in Ebay easy. If I have a budget enough to buy Kuryakyn, I would get them.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
LEDs are the way to go for big light and little power consumption.

I got a set of Clearwaters (big dollars, best lights). For less $$$$ check out what Justin offers at ledrider.com

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
LEDs are the way to go for big light and little power consumption.

I got a set of Clearwaters (big dollars, best lights). For less $$$$ check out what Justin offers at ledrider.com
How well do these Clearwaters light up the road ahead at night? Do you have a website or youtube link ?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
the Clearwater lights are considered top of the line by the long distance riding community.

it is difficult to compare lights, especially LEDs because the major factor is the reflector design.

i bought the 2" diameter darla lights. 2,000 lumens each, for a total of 4,000 lumens of auxillary lighting and costs me less than 1-Amp. keep in mind this is a ridiculous amount of light, therefore the need for the dimmer to avoid being flashed (even during the day time).

·
Registered
3,678 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
LED light brightness

I had installed some "10W LED bulbs" for reverse lights in my car ($10 for 4 bulbs) ... they were worthless and threw less light then the regular bulbs. Then I got some 80w highpowered Cree bulbs from amazon ($35 for 2 bulbs) :moneyeyes: and wow are they bright.
The beam pattern is a little thin for a reverse light (due to the reflector at the end of the bulb) but they throw an amazing amount of light.

The blueish light is the low power LED
the yellowish light is the stock bulb
the one that appears you are looking into the sun is the highpower LED
if I was going to switch bulbs in driving lights I would pay the extra money for the highpowered and then adjust them so they dont blind on coming drivers

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts