Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey boys & girls,

There was a time I probably knew the answer to this and I am sure there are 1,000 threads but my phone isn't playing nice and I don't have computer access.

My current C50T I bought used from a dealer and don't know all it's history. Some things I have been able to find be digging into it but I am wondering if there are tell tale signs it the driveshaft had a DJ drive MOD without disassembly? My speedometer if over by 5 mph which I can't recall for certain if that is a result of the DJ Drive.

Thanks to whoever can through me a bone and not give me the "go search" speach. If I had internet working I would.

Sodapop

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
All the C-50's run 5 mph over.
I have a pic of a c50 rear and one for the mod.
It'll take a minute to find.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
The one on top is from a C-50, the one below is from a 1400.

·
Administrator
16,304 Posts
All speedometers are off by about 5mph. The DJ conversion would not affect the speedometer, the speedometer pickup is on the front wheel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey boys & girls,

There was a time I probably knew the answer to this and I am sure there are 1,000 threads but my phone isn't playing nice and I don't have computer access.

My current C50T I bought used from a dealer and don't know all it's history. Some things I have been able to find be digging into it but I am wondering if there are tell tale signs it the driveshaft had a DJ drive MOD without disassembly? My speedometer if over by 5 mph which I can't recall for certain if that is a result of the DJ Drive.

Thanks to whoever can through me a bone and not give me the "go search" speach. If I had internet working I would.

Sodapop
bbqjoe has a really good write up about the drive mod (link below). I used it EXTENSIVELY when I just completed my mod last night using a drive I got from MOTIV...also on here.
If your bike looks like the first picture in bbqjoe's write up it has the original drive because the false swing arm is in place (arm doesn't fit with the mod because drive is bigger). If the arm is not there and it looks like bbqjoes pic up above chances are you have a mod. Maybe the question is: it's all original and you want to know if the bike has had the work done to it for a mod. Previous owner may have mod'd it and to sell it to dealership put it back to original. If that's the case I think the only way you could tell is to unscrew a couple of the drive nuts and look to see if the hole has been drilled larger (to fit the bolt pattern of the larger drive) or you could always get a better look by taking the false swing arm off. that sounds like a lot of work just to see if those holes were drilled larger. BTW, A mod won't impact the speedometer since that gizmo's on the front wheel. Now for this nasty rain to stop so I can test drive my newly mod'd 2004 Volusia!

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. I totally spaced it on the speedometer pick up being up front. I had done the MOD years ago on my 2005 but I was without a C50 for 8-9 years and kinda forgot a lot of what was second nature back then. I am almost certain I remember the fake swing arm being on it but I will double check that when I get off work tonight. My guess is it is original but just seems to not struggle as much on the highway as I remember the 2005 doing. But that could be from the years away from Boulevards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts