Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question on the grease that is used. I see where everyone is using moly grease on the splines and was wondering if regular old wheel bearing grease would work?
Has anyone used it and what is the difference between the two? I read where the moly grease is high temp and wheel bearing grease is also high temp. My 09 just rolled 4,000 miles and i'm getting a little nervous about checking the drive shaft on it.:?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Heat is not as much an issue it is pressure. Use the moly paste it is much thicker and won't wear away as quickly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, is moly paste the same as moly grease, i looked at the pics on this site for the instructions and he was using moly grease from waly-world

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok did some online searching and found out that moly grease does not have as much moly in it as moly paste has and paste is thicker, stays on better. on the goldwing forums they all reccomend paste on splines

·
Registered
624 Posts
The moly grease from Walmart has very little Moly in it. Others here have used Marine grade bearing grease (with moly??).

I say either get the Suzuki brand super grease (it has a superific name) which has a high amount of moly,
OR

Get the Honda Moly 60 Paste!! That's the stuff I decided to get after searching countless threads here and elsewhere. Seems the Goldwing guys swear by the stuff for their shaft lube of choice.

Don't forget to get the grease seal. That PDF doesn't include the instructions for the Grease seal end which is the main failure point.

EDIT: you beat me to it while I was typing..

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
.....and don't over think it.

If you pull your driveshaft, even just once a year and put nothing more than vasoline on it, your gonna be just fine.

If you do moly from Wally World, your gonna be just fine.

If you go to your dealer and get a $12 glob of Honda Moly on it, your gonna be just fine.

The important thing is......PUT SOMTHING ON IT!!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok just got done doing the drive shaft lube with the honda moly 60. Just as everyone else has posted the splines were dry as a bone, my bike is an 09 that just rolled a little over 4k miles so just as suggested on this site I highly reccomend it too. I was able to get the seal off without any damage to it but i installed a new one just to be safe, though i did reuse the circlip. Thanks to everyone who has done this before because the notes were a BIG help.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
What Viper said! very true... IF its done once a year... That being said I would STILL buy the Honda Paste.. Its just nice stuff..its the right stuff to use and proven proven proven...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts