Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Drilling the MIXture screw

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ford9050 
#1 ·
I have problems with my bike i just bought. 2003 with 2600 miles I wont go into much detail becasue i posted questions elsewhere and dont want people to get mad if i overlap.
my bike is stock, I think it is way too lean, it wants to die at idle and is jerky when riding. I was wondering:

1 Should i try setting the mix screw to 2.5 turns?
2 Can i drill out the plug on it, while it is still on the bike? (tank off?)
3 Do i need to re-plug the hole?

any other tips are much apreciated

could also be bad gas or plugs i might drain tank and check the spark plug.

#2 ·
There is a lot of information related to re-jetting that may be of interest to you for adjusting the carb even if you are not rejetting. Normally I would point you to www.TheRusks.com which is BriMans site. But that is down for re-construction. Much of the info is also stored on www.VolusiaGateway.us in the Document Vault. The rejet pics doc shows a close up of the mixture screw.

#3 ·
1983Z28 said:
1 Should i try setting the mix screw to 2.5 turns?
That's one of those things that trial and error will tell you what's best.

1983Z28 said:
2 Can i drill out the plug on it, while it is still on the bike? (tank off?)
Not recommended, it's much easier if you remove the carb or at least just get it lose so you can turn it while working on it.

1983Z28 said:
3 Do i need to re-plug the hole?
nope!

any other tips are much apreciated

could also be bad gas or plugs i might drain tank and check the spark plug.[/quote]If you go to the gateway and print out the PDF for rejetting, it will give you a clear vision of what's needed to do the job. It's pretty easy, if you need additional help, feel free to PM me and I'll get you my phone #, we can talk about it.

Wade

#6 ·
Thanks for letting me know Ford, I changed the plugs changed the gas and still had the problem, so i think next sat i will be doing the same as you. Did you drill the screw while it was still on with the tank removed, or did you have to take the carb out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.