Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as a noob I thought I would post my 1st project....EVER!. Just bought some new handlebars. Got the 1" nostalgia bars by Baron. They did not come pre-drilled for wiring. So that will be the first task. Then hopefully all the cables are long enough....

Any pointers on drilling the holes for the wiring??

·
Registered
670 Posts
Take it to the shop and have it done. Unless you have a drill press, even the most steady of hand can screw a job like that up. Ask plenty of questions when you are there. It will help with future projects.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I actually literally just did this to my bike this week. I was new to doing it as well but I had a friend of mine who had installed quite a few handlebars help me. If you plan on running the electrical internally you will need to extend the cables depending on the size of the bars. I put on 12" apes and had to extend my wiring about 10 inches. Stagger your cuts on the different color wires and then feedone end through and solder on the opposite end. Make sure you label each wire one by one or else you could very easily mistake colors. Make sure to deburr the holes you drill so the wires don't rub and cause friction. On the bottom of the bars where the electrical exits cut a oval shaped hole or what we did was cut 2 3/4" hole about an inch apart from each other and then cut out the middle . I hope this helps a little. If you have any other questions fee free to ask.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me just add that the locating hole is already there. Im just talking about drilling the holes to run my wires through...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike for the input! Also thank you to Lightwield. Always good to take the safe route. (But thats not my cup of tea).

What I am looking for is info on how to measure my current bars without taking the grips off to know where to drill the holes for the new bars. But I guess I will just have to get off my ass and pull the grips to do some measuring. Look for pics of before and after in the near future....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts