Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading several different posts here, I decided to drill 8 half inch holes in my back plate. I then drilled 4 more half inch holes in mickey leaving the baffle in. It's really got a great sound and I want to thank everyone here with their very helpful posts. This is probably all that I'll do to my pipes until I decide to get the cruzers. I may enlarge the holes to 5/8 when I get a chance. :lol:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the same but was only going to drill the back plate. Did it make that much of a difference drilling mickey too? How long of a bit did yo have to use to drill mickey?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used a 12" long (1/2") bit with a 12" extension from Home Depot. Cost about $24. Make sure you drill the ring out at about 10" straight up the pipe. The extension will not fit past it without if it the same width I bought.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep

VA RIDER said:
I'm thinking about doing the same but was only going to drill the back plate. Did it make that much of a difference drilling mickey too? How long of a bit did yo have to use to drill mickey?
I think that it made a big difference. I love the sound. It made it a lot deeper.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have just finished some mods like this, let me add my insight.

I drilled 8 5/8" holes in the back of the exhaust on both pipes, total of 16 holes, took me a half hour.

Little lower sound, not a lot louder, had an outboard engine gurgle to it, the kind you get when the motor's sitting high in the water.

Next step was to increase the center baffle tube's inside width to 5/8". I was initially going to drill out the mickey plate using a half inch spade bit.

I jammed a half inch pipe down the center tube until I was able to clear a path all the way to the mickey plate. Re did the same thing with a 5/8" pipe. Started it up, loud! Harley loud!

So, was it the combination of the two or the re-throating of the baffle pipe that did it most for me? I don't know.

·
Registered
705 Posts
afretired said:
Color me stupid, but what and where is mickey?
Been wondering that myself, and have asked several. Here's the best I can do for you on an answer.

The muffler is set up with two baffles, which are basically just weeping tile for mufflers. It s is a one inch piece of pipe with holes in it, like a strainer. The back one (closest to rear tire) is about 14 inches long.

The front one is shorter, I just don't know how long it is. I suspect the same construction.

To separate these two baffle pipes are baffle plates. There are three of them. One at each end of the muffler (you can see the back one as that one is the last cover plate) and then one at the front, closest to the exhaust, and one in the middle separating the two baffle tubes.

Clear so far? As an ASCII diagram, it looks like this:

back wheel ()------()-----() to engine

So you have 3 baffle plates and 2 baffle pipes.

And here's the answer you want: The mickey plate is the middle plate.

What does it look like? No clue. But I am sure someone can clue us in on that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Your right as to which plate it refers to. It's called a "Mickey" because when you remove the baffle, you are left with 3 holes in the shape of Mickey Mouse hence the name, Mickey plate. I was "baffled" too when everyone kept saying that thay killed Mickey over the weekend, etc. but found out through this site what it was. I've learned lots from this site and refer to it often as well as guide others to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So may I assume that since it has not been mentioned in this thread, that no messing with the carb is necessary for this mod for an 04 or earlier Vol?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Let me chime in here.......been debaffled for about 6 months. Killed mickey too, you will not need to rejet if you only drill out the plates or remove the baffles. Reason being you are not increasing the air into the motor.........now if you add a K+N filter to the air box, you will need to rejet to compensate for the added air flow. Since our bikes come super lean from the factory I STRONGLY recommend a rejet and filter change. You will notice a little better throttle response and better cruising at highway speeds, letting the bike work less and not starving for fuel. Hope this clarifies some of the questions you had. Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Scott. I will study up on the rejet and filter while I gather the courage to drill holes in my quiet but quite pristine baby.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Weekend update here. Just came back from a 3000km road trip to Vancouver Island and back to Edmonton (my home). Got a lot of nice comments on how the bike sounds. Had someone else drive it so I could listen to it, it's not so bad from on the sidewalk.

But, compared to all the yahoos I was with on the ferry ride over, all Harleys, I sound like a squeaky vacuum cleaner.

If I could only figure out how to lower the sound without increasing the sound anymore than it is. I actually rather like it right now, having gotten used to it.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
About 38 more cubic inches and drag pipes. If you wanna be a Harley ya gotta buy a Harley. That's not bad news, just the facts.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Alberta Rider said:
True enough.

Well, so much for the kids' education fund then. I love them, but ...
(and I can always drive them to their gas station job, right? And they get to go on a Harley, that should make them feel better)
-could never warrant the money for a Harley in our part of the world.
That's a lot of $$$ to sit in the garage for 5+ months a year!
Have you looked outside your window this morning? ( snowing again here! )
If you want the Harley loud- go with the V&H straights and yank the baffle.
Tried it for a day or two- had to put it back as my ears were hurting!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I just got back from a group ride with some great guys from the Houston area. I was satisfied with the sound of my drilled pipes until three of them rolled up with debaffled pipes. That's it. I'm debaffling tomorrow!

Nothing like getting together to help you make your mind up about a mod.

·
Registered
105 Posts
See my Post on Straight Pipes... No denying the drilled pipes or the debaffle way to go sounds great ... But I have a set of Stock pipes in the back of the shed and My Gosh are the mufflers themselves a heavy piece of work. Must weigh about 10or 12 pounds a piece. That's 24 extra pounds of camping gear I could carry if I can get this straight pipe scheme to work ... Ive modified my approach to this experiment .. Now I plan to go to inch and 3/4 like Harley piping and with that pipe dimension I can take my pic of Harley Style baffles ... And still come out lighter....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts