Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A thread has been closed where some debate took place on this subject. It was closed for good reason and I would ask that those who have opinions on the subject consider the form of the response and stick to content here please.

Here is a link to the Rusk's site. http://www.therusks.com/HowTos.htm

Have a look at the Carb Jetting Basics PDF file. Here is a quote from the file: "A lean condition is the end result of too little fuel and too much air. Worst-case scenario: Lean conditions can and do destroy engines. Holes in the pistons, burnt valves and trashed main bearings are the direct result of lean mixtures.

This statement was confirmed by 2 shops who do speed work locally and by a friend who has been doing this kind of stuff since I was in college.
However, all indicated that this does not mean DO NOT drill or de-baffle stock pipes. It does mean that you should attend to ensuring you are not running too lean after you make the mods. Re-jetting may be a good idea, even after drilling the stock exhaust alone because the VOL already runs lean stock. Doing the mods is half the fun for some but being forewarned is jsut good sense in my book.

There is good advice in the PDF file and a run on a dyno could not hurt if you have access to it. That may be the easiest way to confirm a lean condition and find out if your drilling or debaffle has actually lost you some HP or throttle response and if you are running too lean. Just pulling your plugs to check may not be accurate unless you can do it in the way prescribed in the PDF.

Hope this helps.
Rock on :scoot:

·
Registered
280 Posts
crochammer, did you see the 4" baffles manufactured by Hooker and what are your thoughts on those? Would you run a straight, unbaffled pipe or would you switch the baffles if they were more performance and sound oriented?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I saw those and they could be useful to tune pipes with.

No I would not run a straight unbaffled pipe. You would lose all your fillings and power would suck.

The stock pipes are baffled at the tail end and even removed there are still 2 points that provide some back pressure to maintain good power. With the 2nd plate (mickey) removed or reduced you probably still have reasonably good back pressure and power but removing the last makes no sense to me. Even though somebody said it would be redundant, doing a debaffle and de-mickey and then trying a different baffle might actually get a deeper rumble and some bark for a few bucks more.

I like some aftermarkets like the Vance & Hines because they have removable baffles. It would be interesting on the Straightshots for instance to try different length and type baffles to take the edge off but tune them. Although you can then test by feel the dyno usually tells the tale.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Absolutely. I wish I had a bunch of money to try different pipes on a dyno. Maybe when I go to the industry show in February I can get some more information on this.

·
Registered
164 Posts
According to the guys at the dealer I saw a debaffle taking place, the debaffle and demickey does make the bike run leaner and hotter, making it lose some power at around the 50-60 mph range, for which they did an adjustement to the FI. I'm no mechanic, nor do I have any sort of mechanical experience, so I'm forced to take their word for it. Now, would drilling holes cause the same issues as debaffling? I dunno, and from what I've read, I don't think so, although I do agree that it does take away from the look of the pipe and I would rather pay the $150.00 price tag my dealer was charging for the debaffle job than do it myself now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The biggest source of back pressure is from when the exhaust gasses are really hot and expanding, trying to squeeze through that 2-3 foot length of 1.25" tubing that comes out of the head, before it hits the crossover tube and goes on to the mufflers. I ran fully gutted stockers, all 3 plates removed for about 1000 miles before I got a smokin' deal on my Hard Kromes, and did several plug checks...no change in color.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So, I think I'll hear Lucky somewhere saying, "I told you so." but I've drilled 4 3/8" holes in each of my pipes. The sound got louder, nicer than stock, but when I'm not revving it up, it sounds like it has something loose inside the pipe, not like the baffle, but like the exhaust is shaking around back there. Also I think I've noticed a bit more vibration. Is that normal?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know about the vibration and what you hear is a bit subjective. I do know that, according to many who are in the business, it can result in your bike running more lean which may cause some issues down the road.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, I don't think the issues were about what was said but more about how it was said. You learn zip from being closed minded.

I got another dyno test pass from the Vancouver Motorcycle Show today so I have 3 now. The company called Jarz Performance wants more metric business I think. They use an analyzer to check during the run which is very accurate. If I can, I am going to do a run with the stock drilled and then with aftermarket pipes. Sorry, I don't want to waste one with the de-baffle.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are some sound bites on another forum and also a de-baffle video on another site but I could not get a good feel for the diff. listening to them. Mine are drilled but I may not de-baffle at all now in favor of Vance & Hines Cruzers. They have a deeper, throatier tone than the d-baffled pipes I heard but it's all pretty subjective. Everyone has a different opinion.

http://volusiagateway.us/. Try the audio/video files section.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well, I drilled the end caps yesterday with 6, 3/8" holes. I liked the sound but still wanted a Little more.

After watching the debaffle video on Volusia Gateway I decided to go for it. I went earlier and got the hole saws I needed from Home Depot. It went smooth and I am very pleased with the overall sound, not to mention it is a lot cheaper than another set of pipes.

I don't plan to de-mickey my pipes. I think this will get the wife's attention enough as it is. :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Conspiracy Theorist said:
So, I think I'll hear Lucky somewhere saying, "I told you so." but I've drilled 4 3/8" holes in each of my pipes. The sound got louder, nicer than stock, but when I'm not revving it up, it sounds like it has something loose inside the pipe, not like the baffle, but like the exhaust is shaking around back there. Also I think I've noticed a bit more vibration. Is that normal?
4 3/8" holes ain't much. You get the best effect if you drill 6 to 8 larger holes
and then use a bit extension to drill the micky as well.
It sounds sweet. I've had no prob's running on my '04.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts