Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I'm still debating on whether or not to drill my stock pipes while I'm saving up funds for a set of Vance & Hines Straightshots...

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Ok... For those that have debaffled and or upgraded to aftermarket pipes... I KNOW that I would love the loud rumble sound, but ain't too sure my better half would enjoy an afternoon country tour with me if the pipes are way TOO loud? Comments?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would not highly recommend drilling holes in your stock exhaust. It will make them louder, but it's hell on your engine.

Pipes are designed to do a job, and when you sacrifice the integrity of that design, you sacrifice the function of the design as well as every other part connected. This would be the perfect example of, "your part is only as good as the weakest link."

I'm not trying to sell pipes, I'm only trying to save engines and heads. There are a lot of affordable aftermarket pipes on the market that will enhance the sound as well as the performance of your bike.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
That's interesting. What kind of problem would drilling holes in the rear create for the engine?

The drilling of holes has been going on for a long time with all kinds of bikes and some aftermarket pipes allow for removable baffles. I would have thought that the design is about a compromise between the need to exhaust burnt gases with a minimum of back pressure combined with the need to meet EPA emissions tests and sound requirements. While drilling the pipes may affect the latter, I am not sure how it would much affect the engine due to exhaust/back pressure changes.

I love a good debate. This may be a good one. :wink:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Drilling holes in exhaust pipes is too unpredictable from an engineering standpoint. Exhaust systems are designed for optimum performance across a wide range of engine conditions relative to a bunch of factors in the world of physics. A group of engineers at different manufacturers have evaluated these conditions and determined an optimum performance level for the average scooter stock and aftermarket exhaust system. Baffles are engineered to allow a certain volume of exhaust gases to pass to the muffler chamber and manage sound and back-pressure. Now, before some engineer calls me...the term back-pressure is biker jargon to explain the complexities of returning exhaust gases (reversion) back up the pipe, where, depending on their effect, can affect efficiency of exhaust flow and THE TEMPERATURE OF THE CYLINDER HEAD. This all has to do with escaping pressure waves as they move into the exhaust muffler and are bounced off the walls of your baffles. Some of these pressure waves bounce all the way back up the pipe (my word is: back-pressure) and experience a whole bunch of physics factors on things like resonance, flow efficiency, etc, that can effect your cylinder temperatures and head temperatures. Why you shouldn't start poking holes in your baffles and exhaust systems? When you start dickering around with these factors you're gonna create a problem somewhere else. Bikes of today are a lot more sophisticated than their carburetion and exhaust factors. Most of the forum messages I've seen indicate that people are simply drilling or poking holes at the back plate of the muffler housing...please use your head! If you have an old Cushman Eagle from the early 60's...poke all the holes ya' want, if it's a bike of today...get a grip...get a budget and get a set of engineered aftermarket exhaust. Period!

Once you alter the stock pipes, they are useless as "original equipment". Original equipment may (someday) be a selling point should you decide sell the scooter. Just ask any ole HD rider. Then consider the possible costs to adjust pilot jets or replace main jets. Anyone can just drill some holes and go on about their merry business. Anytime you change a "tuned" condition within an internal combustion engine...you must compensate somewhere else (usually fuel/air mixture). Those are the facts! People who just go out and drill some holes, and don't take other factors into consideration, are usually people who have no understanding of the mechanics of an internal combustion engine.
Save your original OEM pipes and get a set of aftermarket pipes. If you can't afford 'em right now...get a budget and start saving for the set of your dreams. Drag pipes belong on the drag strip...not accelerating next to Aunt Bea's car on the freeway. It may surprise some of you to know that (all other things being the same), you may actually have less horsepower available to the rear wheel with drag pipes, than you would with stock pipes off-the-line. Drag pipes typically begin their efficiency at higher RPM's than most of us will ever ride at. I agree that pipes should sound better than stock in the throaty, low sound spectrum. Find a muffler system that will allow you the freedom to express your need for sound.

Motorcyclists have a bad enough "rep" without you contributing to it.
Why would anyone spend (up to) $10,000 for a scooter and then take a drill to it over the issue of sound? Doesn't make sense. If you're gonna do it...do it right! Install a set of pipes designed for the sound capability you seek...don't start backyard mechanics on your new machine if you don't know what you're doing. If you have to ask someone how big or how many holes to drill...you don't know what you're doing - and chances are, neither does the person you're asking! The aftermarket manufacturers (Cobra, Roadhouse, Jardine, etc.) have done testing on your bike and can help you re-jet where necessary to compensate for the easier breathing of aftermarket systems. I get occasional email regarding this subject, only to find out that they've spent tons of bucks on bolt-on accessories (billet, billet, billet) and now they're balking at buying an exhaust system (which is critical to engine operation). Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Umm :? What the?

Wow...that's...informative. I guess there is no real room for debate cause you already have the answer. I guess if someone else had an opinion you would tell them what it should be :shock:

Motorcyclists have a bad enough rep without YOU contributing too it :oops: What??? I guess the YOU must be all those who drilled or otherwise defaced their scoots by performing unalterable mods. Sorry we are ruining a class operation WHAT you are trying to run here.

I am afraid that for a lot of the folks that are contributing to this "bad rep", it's their scoot and they can do whatever turns their crank. I recommend less caffeine dog.

·
Registered
280 Posts
""Motorcyclists have a bad enough "rep" without you contributing to it.""

Meaning people who tell others who are less informed that it is "ok" to drill holes in your exhaust.

Bottom line is: It's not ok. It's not cool. If you called any performance shop and asked them about drilling holes in your stockers, they would probably laugh at you.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off, but your defending a well known no-no and I'm not going to let some new bike owner go out into their garage, pull out their drill and box of bits and go to town.

I like selling parts as much as the next guy, but I would rather sell a set of pipes than bill someone for re-manufactured heads, a rebuild kit, new pistons and rings, cylinder boring, and all that labor. Seems to me that most would rather fork out the $250-650 for new pipes than the $3500 for a top end rebuild, downtime and (believe it or not) a new set of pipes to replace the ones that did the original damage.

Damn, call me honest.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Bull.

OEM exhausts on motorcycles sold in the U.S. are engineered to meet the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) noise emission regulations for newly manufactured motorcycles.

Drilling holes, de-baffling and aftermarket exhausts are end user efforts to minimize the impact of those "engineering" constraints.

Let 'em breathe!

End of story.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Your a very ignorant person if you believe that. I have the engineering data for exhaust performance on stock and most aftermarket pipes since 1991. I have a pantry full of books, even some in German and Chinese.

I bet your one of those people who run straight headers on your pick-up too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No offense, you may be right in everything you say, but with your attitude, not many people are going to want to hear it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I could bullshit with everyone with doses of sugar and lolli-pops, but I get tweaked when people who don't know shit about what their talking about step up and act like they do; and then let their own ignorance effect other people and think its ok.

Ok, drill your exhaust, I'm sure a lot of shops could use the extra cash this year.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well, I just got back from the dealer's service shop due to the recall bit, and lo and behold, the guy in the shop was going to town on a set of C50 pipes, doing the mickey debaffle. So I asked him about it, and he was nice enough to let me watch and talk to me. The only thing that struck me as odd, is that he said the dealer would cover warranty services if they did the job of debaffling, and that some other guy had to come later to fix the FI for fueling at the 5th gear shift cause the bikes tended to choke and lean at about 50-60 mph after this type of job. $150.00 was the price tag for the defacement of an engineered genius by the same people who are paid to protect it. Remembering this specific thread, I asked about drilling the pipe, and the guy's only issue was that it may look ugly, and the bikes sounded better debaffled, rather than drilled.

Go figure...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I urge you all to drill holes in your exhaust. Thousands of them. All different sizes.

Or, you could go with these dogs:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Man 'o man. This exhaust thing really ticks you off doesn't it? Why on earth are you so deeply concerned about every body's machine? Something doesn't ring true here.

You came on line pontificating about the evils of altering the laborious design efforts of factory engineers. When challenged you acted worried about the health of all the poor v-twins out there that will suffer because of the misguided acts of the uninformed. That was ineffective so you got into name calling. And in a final attempt to make converts of us all you washed your hands of it and challenged us to go ahead and tear up our bikes.

Dude...this ain't about pipes. What gives?

The people on this board are not Zombies. They read the posts, ask questions, weigh the evidence and make up their own minds about risk and reward. You can't save us from ourselves. When I tear this bike up I'll get another one. And I'll be ready for a change by then anyway.

You are either informed and experienced or copying your info from other sources. I'm hoping informed and experienced. For that reason I hope you can hang around VR and share your knowledge. Some ideas are hits, some are ignored. Don't take a brush off so hard dude. You'll eventually hit a home run. I guess we'll see what you're made of.

My last post on this thread. Moving on, good luck.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.