Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a lot about the Mod of adding a C90 drive to a C50.
A lot of threads to read and go thought but I think I got all the info to make drawing of the parts that need to be modified or made. I'm going to post the drawing and see if any of you Volusia riders would double check me on my drawings.
One drawing is of the shaft mod.
One is of the Bushing.
One is of the spacer.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I see your in the Houston area. I can recommend a Suzuki riders group that offers rides for the surrounding areas as well as to the Hill Country.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Those all look pretty good to me. The C90 drive bolt pattern for mating to the swing arm has a larger circumerance than the C50 bolt pattern. There are two methods for accomodating this. One is to drill the original bolt holes oversize to 9/16ths inch. The other method is to "slot" or elongate each hole with a file to accept a larger diameter bolt pattern. This link contains an excellant drawing of elongated holes.
IntruderAlert Cafe
Great drawings btw, those should be stickied, I'll look into it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not draw the bolt patten out because I had already seen this drawing on a earlier thread.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Ok, well this thread has been stickied in the Motors Drives and Transmissions, so your pdf's and the bolt pattern thread will be easily accessible without having to do a search. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Any year C90, VL1500 or VS1400.

There are a couple of riders who have even used GV1400 (the old Cavalcade) but that mod is a little different in that the result is a rear wheel that is slightly offset from the front (like a "dog tracking" condition) and one cannot install the cotter pin in the axle bolt.

If using a VS1400 drive you do not need the bushing as the VS1400 drive uses an axle the same diameter as the C50, however the VS1400 driveshaft is much shorter so the pdf drawing supplied in this thread does not apply. There is an alternate method for any of these drives to modify a C50 or VL800 driveshaft.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm looking forthe correct size for the bushing for the c90 drive casing it shows inside and outside but not how thick,Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
DOH and here I though there was a raffle for the mod and came in to sign up lol.
LOL...Yeah, me too until I clicked on the thead to find out how to enter the drawing!

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
I'm looking forthe correct size for the bushing for the c90 drive casing it shows inside and outside but not how thick,Thanks
I may be wrong but I took the two numbers you know already which is the outside number and subtracted the inside number and then divided by 2 which makes the bushing .061 thick.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Man you guys dont know what I need, I know how thick that spacer is what is it for ang how long does it have to be. I know how long the spacer is 2 /7/8 long what is the bushing for I am lost now I have read the threads you need a spacer and a bushing for the c90 conversion,Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
The only bushings I got when doing the drive was to insert in the holes after they were drilled if I wanted to put the old drive back in. Viper can give you all the details, pm him if I got the question wrong.

·
Registered
176 Posts
At the beginning of this thread there is some drawings from silver Buf the three drawing are the shaft bushing and the spacer what is the bushing for I have the axle spacer made allready not sure about the bushing in the drawing is for?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
LOL, that bushing is .75 inch long.

I tell you, there is some tolerance to all those dimensions. It is best to take the drive case and the axle to a machinest and have him bush the case for the axle. He'll know what and how to do it. If you don't have an axle in hand, still take the drive case to the machinest, tell him you need to bush the case to accept an axle with a diameter of .6654. He'll know what to do.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Now we are getting somewhere thank you very much now I know that the axle is larger on the c50 so you need to bush it for the axle,but what is the 3/4 bushing for Im sure I will find out when I go put it back together but I would like to know a little sooner LOL, and by the thanks for your help plan to convert on next tuesday.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
The C90 axle is larger than the C50 axle, therefor the axle hole in the C90 drive case is too large for the C50 axle.

A machinest can machine a bushing to press into the C90 drive case and that bushing will have a hole the same size as the C50 axle.

What it amounts to is that the O.D of the bushing is the same size as the O.D. of a C90 axle and the I.D. is the same size as the O.D. of a C50 axle. The bushing itself is .75 inch in lenth.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts