Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first bike I rode besides a dirt bike was an Yamaha R1. I moved from California to a small town in New Mexico. Since then I have been into cruisers.
I had plenty of fun on a Honda Cm 250 but got rid of it since I couldn't ride 2 up on the Free way. Currently i'm riding a V star 1300 but it seems like to much bike for riding in town. First gear shifts at 55 mph so if you are cruising in the city 2nd gear isn't really an option. I like to go on long rides but commute everyday in town. I was considering getting a C50. any Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The first bike I rode besides a dirt bike was an Yamaha R1. I moved from California to a small town in New Mexico. Since then I have been into cruisers.
I had plenty of fun on a Honda Cm 250 but got rid of it since I couldn't ride 2 up on the Free way. Currently i'm riding a V star 1300 but it seems like to much bike for riding in town. First gear shifts at 55 mph so if you are cruising in the city 2nd gear isn't really an option. I like to go on long rides but commute everyday in town. I was considering getting a C50. any Thoughts?
Please explain cruising 2nd gear isn't an option. I do not understand. 1300 is perfect for round town cruising. Why would you push 1st gear to 55 mph in town???? I just moved from 800 VOL to 1300 VTX trike. C50 does not like the interstate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
2nd gear wants to stall at 35mph. Perhaps the vtx is geared differently and is not an issue, If that is the case perhaps i should switch to a VTX.

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
I agree with "cavie", nothing wrong or too big about a 1300 around town.

I don't say this to insult your intelligence .............. are you sure your using 1st and 2nd? To me it sound like your using 2nd and 3rd.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with "cavie", nothing wrong or too big about a 1300 around town.

I don't say this to insult your intelligence .............. are you sure your using 1st and 2nd? To me it sound like your using 2nd and 3rd.
the gears on the vstar are not town friendly. Usually cruisers with similar displacement are geared similarly hence me wanting a smaller displacement bike. I am also looking for a lighter bike, and no i'm not using 2nd and third gear.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If your finding the bike big in the city, your most likely a small guy like me,,,,
if your looking for something you can handle better, Give it a go,,,, the c50 is a great ride,,,, but still has enough wight to make it a great hyw bike....

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
The C-50 could be the right bike for you, but if do go that way be sure to add a DJ drive to the bike.
What it does is increase the gear ratio 14%. The stock bike has to be shifted out of 1st around 20 mph. Making it a bit scary when the automatic pick-truck behind you shifts at 24 mph meaning it crawls up your butt while your busy shifting. With the DJ the C-50 shifts at 30 mph. The other thing you'll notice is you won't have to shift in mid turn when your turning on to a street. This you'll find is a big advantage especially around town. You'll find with the DJ most of your in town riding will be done in 3rd and 4th gear. 5th gear doesn't kick in until about 65 mph
As far as High end cruising goes, with the DJ the C-50 will cruise all day comfortably at 75 - 80 mph with a load of 400 lbs. (that's me and a fat chick I used to date). If you want to cruise faster then that or with a heavier load (I suggest you get a skinner girl friend) the C-50 is not right for you.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Around town you can shift any 800 or 1300 on the 10's

1-10, 2-20, 3-30 etc.

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
I have a V Star 1300 and would not go back to the 800. In town no problem, I don`t think I`ve ever seen 55 in first unless maybe I was trying to accelerate like a bat out of hell . I believe I`m either in 2nd or 3rd at 35. Check out the V Star forums and do a search on "Jacks O 2 mod ". That along with drilling out the baffle and intake box works wonders for to eliminate any jerkiness you may encounter at slow speeds and improve overall acceleration making the bike even quicker than it already is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would have to look into that. I have not rode a stock Vstar 1300. One thought that comes to mine is the bike I currently ride has modifications on it that I am not familiar with. I recognize the Vance and Hines exhaust but that's it. I have ridden a vstar 1100 and besides the terrible turning radius I really like it, It felt good in town and on the highway.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
No problems with our VStar 1300 around town. 1st gear or 2nd is fine at 25mph. Size wise it's not much bigger than a C50, it only weighs 50lbs more and it's well balanced. It has many advantages over a C50- I wouldn't go back to a C50 from a 1300.

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
A C50 is nearly as heavy as the Vstar, with a great deal less power. The transmission gear ratios are a bit closer together, so you'll be in 3rd gear for most in-town riding, but you will really miss the power of the Vstar on the freeway. Especially 2 up.

Riding up to 55mph in first gear is really a bit excessive for the bike. It generates most of its torque below 3000 rpm, so you really should be shifting into second between 25 and 30 mph. Let the torque of the engine do the work for you. It is not a sport bike that needs to be wound out to generate any power....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am just shy of 6' but I got in to an accident on motorcycle 2 years back. Broke My left arm in 3 places and almost lost my Left foot. Heavy bikes are probably going to be a struggle for while.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought the C50 was considerably Lighter, thanks for pointing that out. I do agree that the vstar balances very well, I just have trouble backing it up.

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
The Vstar is 668 pounds, wet. (With a full tank of fuel)

The C50 is 621 pounds, wet. (With a full tank of fuel)

The weight savings is negligible. The big difference is in the power output of the engine. You're going from a 70 hp bike, down to a 44 hp bike with basically the same weight.... I don't think you're going to be happy with it at all...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A C50 is nearly as heavy as the Vstar, with a great deal less power. The transmission gear ratios are a bit closer together, so you'll be in 3rd gear for most in-town riding, but you will really miss the power of the Vstar on the freeway. Especially 2 up.

Riding up to 55mph in first gear is really a bit excessive for the bike. It generates most of its torque below 3000 rpm, so you really should be shifting into second between 25 and 30 mph. Let the torque of the engine do the work for you. It is not a sport bike that needs to be wound out to generate any power....
Thanks I have been riding sport bikes to long, I am used to shifting 10k+ rpm

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
I understand completely. I have an FZ6 that doesn't come alive until I'm well past 6k rpm. It is a completely different ride experience between my sport bike and my cruiser.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Whichever bike makes you happier is the one to get regardless of displacement, my last bike was a Boulevard M109R (1800 V-Twin) and that bike was awesome for just toolin' around town in 3rd but I know that my new (to me) C50 is going to be awesome and I wont miss the power. I intend to go all over Texas on that baike and at 5'7" and 180lbs it will be perfect for solo rides.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts