Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, rode out US 70 W of of Knoxville. This is just a great road.

U.S. Route 70 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I pick it up at Easton's Crossroads just W of Lenoir City, at the intersection with US321. The run over to Kingston is a TN scenic highway, with reason. Lots of fields and woods, interesting buildings. Sweepers, hills, some nice corners, not too much traffic.

Kingston is nice. There's a Shell station with good gas, better than whatever was giving me fits! Courthouse is in downtown. Road runs along Watts Bar Lake. Then heads W with views of the Cumberland Escarpment ahead. Nice rolling terrain except when it's by the lake.

In Rockwood, there's an alternative. Can turn right into old downtown, pass through that, turn right on Furnace and go up the switchbacks to Airport Road. Airport Road goes over to Oakdale, and a right gets one back into nice twisties. That's a great little loop.

But anyway, past Rockwood, there's a right and the road goes into climbing turns, woods, nice!! There's an excursion to the right at the top to Mt. Roosevelt. Worth taking. Gives great views of the Tennessee Valley and mountains beyond.

Back on 70, turns and pretty countryside over to Ozone. Stop and look at the falls. And across the street, the wooden trestle. In fact, monitor the train track paralleling 70. Some nice historic bridges and so on. If you have time, walk to the plunge pool. Can get behind the falls.

Road passes by historic Crab Orchard. Lots of stone production, a big concrete plant. Then into Crossville. Be sure to stop at French's boots. And the flea market on the weekends is great!

I continued on 70N over to Timberline for a visit with OL2, wearing sandals and a smile, always nice to see.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Timberline a good place to be , with a smile on your face !!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts