Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I learned last night what my first reaction is when something runs out in front of me. I had a small dog run out in the road right after leaving the house. Luckily I was only going around 20-25 mph but my first reaction was grabbing the front brake. As soon as the tire locked up I realized what I did and released the brake. The dog was unhurt and I didn't wreck, but it was definitely a learning experience. I need to learn to use BOTH brakes during a situation like that for sure. Only problem is instances like that aren't planned.

·
Registered
19,345 Posts
Do yourself a favour and sign up for the MSF Basic Rider's Course. They will teach you the proper technique for braking and how to emergency brake without locking your wheels. And for the love of god, start using your back brake too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do yourself a favour and sign up for the MSF Basic Rider's Course. They will teach you the proper technique for braking and how to emergency brake without locking your wheels. And for the love of god, start using your back brake too.

The bad part is I did back in October. Passed it with flying colors too. Normally I do use both but this time I didn't. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Its something that needs constant practice. All front brake isn't good, all back brake isn't good either. Practice grabbing front first and rear a split second behind. That will help keep you from locking up the rear which you can do easily if you pull them both at the same time. Ask me how I know ;)

·
Registered
19,345 Posts
Or spring for a bike with linked brakes and ABS. Then it won't matter which lever you grab, it won't lock the wheels!

·
Super Moderator
23,897 Posts
Go to a parking lot and practice emergency braking until you get it down. After that, come back the next weekend and do it again. After a few times of that, practice it once a month.

It HAS to be muscle memory. There's no other way around it.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I had the same thing happen the other day...
Except it wasn't a dog.
It was a calf.
And I wasn't on a bike.
I was in my car.
But I didn't lock the front brake.

I locked them all.

Never mind.
Carry on.

I'm just glad neither of us died.

·
Administrator
16,248 Posts
Go to a parking lot and practice emergency braking until you get it down. After that, come back the next weekend and do it again. After a few times of that, practice it once a month.

It HAS to be muscle memory. There's no other way around it.

Yep - I do this every spring in an empty school parking lot on the weekend. Just to get used to it again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Nutz, those first reactions are great learning tools. I wouldn't over think it though. You will probably ride much more cautiously now. Gotta love NC pet owners.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Nutz, those first reactions are great learning tools. I wouldn't over think it though. You will probably ride much more cautiously now. Gotta love NC pet owners.

Yes they are. Pet owners around here are...interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Woops deer me :biglaugh:
I should be too. We have a lot of deer in town here. They like to randomly cross the road in the early mornings or late evenings. So far...I've been lucky. It's easier to see a large deer running across the road then a little furry football with legs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts