Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I de-baffled and my 04 carb'd volusia, it runs great not re-jetted. If I kill mickey or mickey and the last plate, will it require re-jetting? It's got the stock air box now.
I know I'll have to re-jet when I go naked and install a unifilter, but can I leave the carb as is 'til spring when I re-jet for the unifilter?
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
No re-jet required until you increase the air intake.

Pull and check the plugs after a while to make sure they are tan colored, that's good. White means lean and you have to increase fuel, re-jet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
that's what I was hoping to hear.
I'll wage war on Mickey this afternoon.
Love the sound of de-baffled, but there is a certain frequency of ringing at about 50+ mph that I hope to get rid of by de-mickeying.

·
Registered
27,502 Posts
A lot of people have gotten rid of that "ringing" by simply drilling the Mickey instead of completely removing it. Personally, I think removing it takes away the "grumble" of the debaffle. Again, that's just my opinion. Before Jerry put on HKs he had debaffled then kept drilling holes in the mickey until he got the sound he wanted. They sounded pretty awesome.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't take the mickeys all the way out. I used a ball bat and a heavy piece of pipe to punch the center hole out - they're about 70 percent opened up I'd say. I also knocked mickey's ears (short lengths of pipe) out. It did change the sound. Louder and deeper. I haven't braved the cold yet to see if the ringing at 50+mph is gone. I could still open it up a little more without removing the mickey all the way. I could also drill into the last plate behind the mickey (that is the last plate isn't it?).

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Yep, that plate behind mickey is the last plate. (diagram in gallery)

But here is something interesting. (For what it's worth)
There is definitely a difference in the sound of a Vol vs. Blvd when you debaffle and demickey. I'm only guessing it's because the Vols and Blvds have different fuel delivery systems and spark configuration . I found this out when we had a debaffle party at my house and did Vols and Blvds.

A vol is louder and deeper debaffled than a Blvd. To get a Blvd to sound as good as a debaffled Vol you have to take the Blvd's mickey out.

I have a Blvd and wanted more. I took out the last plate. It sounds like a bad boy. Really deep. A little loud at the top end. But throaty all through the range. But... still not a ton louder than a Vol debaffled.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Big Ed,

I know this conversation was a while ago but you look to be the guy that would know this.
I have the Volusia, have taken Mickey out, put in a K&N and did the rejet with no problems. My brother just bought a C-50, will we need to get anything for his FI if we de-Micckey? If we put in a K&N would we have to do anything else?

Thanks,

Paul...

·
Registered
40 Posts
The C50's actually have catalytic converters in the front end of the mufflers.......thats prob why the sound is different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts