Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: This is all in good fun. I am not a Harley hater. If you are overly sensitive please stop reading here to avoid an anxiety attack. Otherwise please join in with your thoughts.

After hearing for so long how much superior Harleys are to Suzukis, I decided to compare the specifications to see how badly the C50 is left behind. Here is what I found...

Suzuki vs Harley
Displ. 50ci/805cc vs 74ci/1207cc
HP 45hp vs 45hp
Trans 5 Speed vs 4 speed
Wheelbase 65.2 in. vs 59.5 in.
Weight 542lbs vs 565lbs
Top Speed 110mph vs 90mph

That would be Suzuki 2006 C50 Vs Harley 1947 Knucklehead.

I know, I know, it is sacrilege to compare a Suzuki to a Knucklehead. But it seems like specs are more a matter of perspective than anything. The knucklehead was King of motorbikes in its day, and nobody was going around saying they were too heavy, too underpowered, you couldn't ride two up, you couldn't hit the highway (granted there were no interstates in those days), etc. People just bought 'em, rode 'em, crossed the country back and forth on 'em, loved 'em, stole 'em, chopped 'em, bobbed 'em, raced 'em, and never looked back.

So you guys with Volusia's and C50's that are worried that your bike is too small, too heavy, underpowered, whatever, hey, just ride 'em till the wheels (or timing chains) fall off, and quit getting all worked up over it.

Reactions: Templar Knight

·
Registered
452 Posts
Alright Whiskey, get the popcorn a poppin and the butter melting, this could be a long one.

Good Hunting

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
If your doing 110mph on a c50, your better than me....

RV

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your doing 110mph on a c50, your better than me....

RV
Did I over estimate that? Since my 600 Shadow will do 105, I figured the C50 would do 110, but I've never tried it.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
For me, it was the 6 gallon tank versus the 4.1 tank. I simply wanted a bike where I stopped more often because I had to pee than to buy gas.

I just made popcorn, so let the knuckleheads post away.

Flathead, shovelhead, airhead, blockhead, metric, thumper, makes no difference to me. It is the view from the handlebars that matters, not the bragging rights at the tavern. * oh, and a cushy seat!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Disclaimer: This is all in good fun. I am not a Harley hater. If you are overly sensitive please stop reading here to avoid an anxiety attack. Otherwise please join in with your thoughts.

After hearing for so long how much superior Harleys are to Suzukis, I decided to compare the specifications to see how badly the C50 is left behind. Here is what I found...

Suzuki vs Harley
HP 45hp vs 45hp
Trans 5 Speed vs 4 speed
Weight 542lbs vs 565lbs

I know, I know, it is sacrilege to compare a Suzuki to a Knucklehead. But it seems like specs are more a matter of perspective than anything. The knucklehead was King of motorbikes in its day, and nobody was going around saying they were too heavy, too underpowered, you couldn't ride two up, you couldn't hit the highway (granted there were no interstates in those days), etc. People just bought 'em, rode 'em, crossed the country back and forth on 'em, loved 'em, stole 'em, chopped 'em, bobbed 'em, raced 'em, and never looked back.

So you guys with Volusia's and C50's that are worried that your bike is too small, too heavy, underpowered, whatever, hey, just ride 'em till the wheels (or timing chains) fall off, and quit getting all worked up over it.

Harley got pwned. :moon:

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Winter is here. I can tell by all the colorful comments now littering the alleys of our consciousness and by the new thread topics just as my yard is littered with my neighbors leaves and branches after this weekends rain and wind storm. Ah, how I love the change of the seasons, from riding the roads to riding each other.

Reactions: chico

·
Registered
906 Posts
My 2 cents; My family is Harley to the core and I have seen a bunch of them in my day. I have ridden just about every kind of bike available and I really don't see the Harley being superior in design to all foreign bikes. Now there are some that Harley makes look like a bag of metric bolts but not all of them. I am a practical man and I only have a set amount of money to spend on my bikes so I bought the C50T because it has the look I like and it was cheap. I must say that if I had known the limitations on the highway (winds too tight for my taste) I would have looked harder but I plan to mod the rear end to fix that. If I had $15,000.00+ to drop on a bike I would probably buy a Harley because I have never owned one and for some reason I'd like to. It is a silly reason but it is all a mental thing for me :) I may need therapy but that's another topic all together ;)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Did I over estimate that? Since my 600 Shadow will do 105, I figured the C50 would do 110, but I've never tried it.
I rode the VLX, no way it will do a real 105. The speedo may read that but it's WAY off. The VLX was the worst cruiser I have ever ridden. I thought the 500 Shadow was far superior.

The Volusia tops out around 100 mph give or take, real speed, not speedo.

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
but an 883 Sportster produces 45.5 Hp, has 5 speeds, and can be equipped with ABS.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

Suzuki vs Harley
HP 45hp vs 45hp
Trans 5 Speed vs 4 speed
Weight 542lbs vs 565lbs

Errmmmmm...if you were really trying to compare apples to apples why not the new 750 or the 883 sporty which are closer in displacement, price, and how recently they have been produced? I mean **** Harley stopped producing Knuckleheads almost seventy years ago....and Suzuki didn't even have a motorcycle even close to 800cc's until the seventies. model year for model year.....well you couldn't use the Knucklehead to compare model year VS model year as Suzuki had nothing to compare to it in 1947. :wayhappy:

Are HD's superior to C50's......depends....how important are torque, fit&finish, ease of locating stock & aftermarket components?...how important is it to you to be able to effortlessly be able to keep up with fast moving interstate traffic regardless of weather or terrain?....how about the ease and cost effectiveness of completely rebuilding a high mileage engine to like new condition?

There are hundreds of other questions that could be asked but you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Errmmmmm...if you were really trying to compare apples to apples...
Well, that was supposed to be the fun part. I certainly had no intention of comparing apples to apples, ahha!

I wouldn't begin to compare a C50 to a modern HD Luxobarge. They have come light years in development since 1947. And Suzuki has come a long way too. Now they can make their money copying Harley styling instead of copying Honda styling.

This is more like comparing a 1960 Ford Falcon to the Millinium Falcon. Which is best?

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
Now I have owned both and your comparison was useless because of what you were comparing...the real comparison would be with the new 750.

I loved my CFiddy and with the Dual headlight mod I did. I could pull up next to the HD boys and they never knew the difference but I feel it was lacking for a two-up cruiser for a xxl couple. Don't get me wrong, it was/is the perfect ride for anyone...I mean Anyone. It is a perfectly rounded bike for the beginner or the accomplished rider. Now the HD SG we now own with the new upgraded power plant will pack me, wifey, bags and drag a c50 in first gear. Do you pay for the difference...yup but well worth it...

BB

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
Hey, my Harley is a 37.. It's way cooler than either and sports less horsepower than both... Of course, my other bike could pull all three down the street... Fast :)

·
Super Moderator
33,549 Posts
Biggest difference between a Harley and a C50? I can buy a different C50 for every day of the week for the cost of the Harley. :moneyeyes:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
but an 883 Sportster produces 45.5 Hp, has 5 speeds, and can be equipped with ABS.

The 83 & 1100 sportsters both will give hemorrhoids to a rock. We modded a VL800 seat to an 1100 sportster in order to give it a better ride and a cooler look.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Biggest difference between a Harley and a C50? I can buy a different C50 for every day of the week for the cost of the Harley. :moneyeyes:
So true, that's why most of us bought one or two, heck I own three Suzuki's and spent way less than I would have on one Harley.

Reactions: Whiskey
1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.