Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Pennsylvania riders: I can't make heads or tails of this. It's supposed to show when a motorcycle's inspection expires.

·
Super Moderator
57,615 Posts
I live in Pa and it expires on the last day of the month sticker. I never saw a chart like that and I really don't want to waste too much energy trying to decipher it.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I live in Pa and it expires on the last day of the month sticker. I never saw a chart like that and I really don't want to waste too much energy trying to decipher it.
Me neither.
Yuk.

We do things differently in my county in AZ, there are no inspections, and we don't do emissions.
We also don't do daylight savings, and we allow guns everywhere.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We do things differently in my county in AZ, there are no inspections, and we don't do emissions.
We also don't do daylight savings, and we allow guns everywhere.
Sounds good to me. (y) My father lived in Arizona until he passed away some years ago. In his words..."Outside of Phoenix on the edge of the desert."
I've never been to Arizona, but I'm definitely gonna get there sometime.

The reason I'm trying to figure out the chart is, using the arcane and convoluted PA inspection rules, if my inspection expires say, in September, nearing the end of my traveling season, I can get the bike inspected a few month earlier and still keep the September expiration date for the following year. This way, I know the bike has been checked over and cleared before the main part of my riding season starts, when it may do me some good. I can also get any maintenance done that I don't want to do myself at the same time.
Also also, it allows my to make my travel plans without having to worry about the inspection expiring during a month I'm away on the road. Say, like September.
If I can figure that darn chart out.
If I screw up the date and bring it in too early, then I'll could actually lose a few months before the next inspection is due. :rolleyes:
Oh yeah, the date the bike was registered has to be figured into the formula too, once I decipher the chart.

I'll figure it out eventually, I'm sure...but damn. ?

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Sounds good to me. (y) My father lived in Arizona until he passed away some years ago. In his words..."Outside of Phoenix on the edge of the desert."
I've never been to Arizona, but I'm definitely gonna get there sometime.

The reason I'm trying to figure out the chart is, using the arcane and convoluted PA inspection rules, if my inspection expires say, in September, nearing the end of my traveling season, I can get the bike inspected a few month earlier and still keep the September expiration date for the following year. This way, I know the bike has been checked over and cleared before the main part of my riding season starts, when it may do me some good. I can also get any maintenance done that I don't want to do myself at the same time.
Also also, it allows my to make my travel plans without having to worry about the inspection expiring during a month I'm away on the road. Say, like September.
If I can figure that darn chart out.
If I screw up the date and bring it in too early, then I'll could actually lose a few months before the next inspection is due. :rolleyes:
Oh yeah, the date the bike was registered has to be figured into the formula too, once I decipher the chart.

I'll figure it out eventually, I'm sure...but damn. ?
I'd move.

·
Registered
19,523 Posts
The PA inspection schedule is designed around the 6 month "riding year" which is May through October. If the bike is first registered with the Commonwealth during the "off season", your registration will be good for a year, but the inspection will be valid for 6 months. Example, you get the bike in November, you will be given an inspection that expires in May of the following year. If you buy the bike and and first register it during the riding season then your inspection and registration will be due at the same time. You can then have the bike inspected up to 2 months prior to its expiration date.

Used bikes, previously registered and inspected in the Commonwealth keep the original inspection schedule, regardless of when the succeeding owner acquires the bike. If I buy a used bike in March, with a May expiration, then I have until May to get it inspected.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The PA inspection schedule is designed around the 6 month "riding year" which is May through October. If the bike is first registered with the Commonwealth during the "off season", your registration will be good for a year, but the inspection will be valid for 6 months. Example, you get the bike in November, you will be given an inspection that expires in May of the following year. If you buy the bike and and first register it during the riding season then your inspection and registration will be due at the same time. You can then have the bike inspected up to 2 months prior to its expiration date.

Used bikes, previously registered and inspected in the Commonwealth keep the original inspection schedule, regardless of when the succeeding owner acquires the bike. If I buy a used bike in March, with a May expiration, then I have until May to get it inspected.
Thanks for the info. Coordinating my inspections with the riding season was my aim. By coincidence, the last two bikes I owned had their inspections expire roughly about the same time each year, the "right" time each year, so I never gave this much thought. I just dropped them off for inspection before riding season and I was good to go.

My C50 was purchased late in July 2018, used. It had a #5 sticker on it. I had it inspected on May 1st, 2019. Passed. No problemo. A new red sticker was on it, so I didn't pay much attention until now. That sticker has a #9 on it...and the number under it is "19." Half the people I asked said it expires in September 19 (5 months after I got it inspected, which means I've been riding it for months with an expired sticker :oops: ), and the other half said it's good until "20."

I'm not fretting over it because I have an appointment for other maintenance scheduled on May 4th anyway. If it can or needs to be inspected, I'll just get 'er done then.
I'm going to bring that inspection chart with me and go over it with them.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I am in PA, and the simple explanation I was given is that some brainiac decided years ago to not let safety inspection stickers expire during months when there was a possibility for unsafe roads. That being said, when inspections are performed during the "safe months" they should be reissued a sticker for the same month next year. Adding to the confusion is that for sticker matching, as Scrap stated, inspections may be performed 2 months prior and get the same month sticker issued. So to address your picture, if you really got your bike inspected 5/19, you should have been issued a 5/20 sticker. Unless someone interprets the chart and takes the position that registration and inspection stickers need to match. But several years ago, PA stopped the requirement that reg and inspection stickers need to match for cars, so I don't see why that would be the logic for motorcycles.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...But several years ago, PA stopped the requirement that reg and inspection stickers need to match for cars, so I don't see why that would be the logic for motorcycles.
I'm going to ask the service manager when I bring in the bike on Monday.

The guy who answered the phone when I made my appointment had no answers, had to ask someone, and said it's tied in to the original registration of the bike...he thinks. 🥴

I trust this dealership... They've been fair, honest, helpful and knowledgeable in the many years I gone there. Maybe they had one of the young B team people answering the phone that day due to Covid cutbacks, while the big boys were in back busy working on the bikes.

I'll know more then.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in SE PA and just got inspected last week. The new sticker says (if I'm reading it correctly) July of 2021

View attachment 145265
You are. I just got my bike inspected today, Friday. I bought it in Monday and everything passed but the rear tire, and the front tire was right on the edge. They didn't have any Michelin Commander 2's in stock so I left it there until they arrived. I ended up with the same sticker. I asked, and they told me that is was good until July of 2021.

It turns out that the old red sticker I had on there did expire only 5 months after the last inspection. I've been riding with that expired sticker for the last seven months. :oops:
I was going to ask them if they could explain how the system worked, but they had a skeleton crew on because of the lockdown and they were so busy trying to keep up with the phones 'n stuff that I figured I'd just save it for another day, paid the bill, and rode home through the cold, rain, and wind* for some tea with honey and whiskey...and call it a win. :)

*Stupid weather: Moving to Arizona is starting to look like a good idea after all. Even my wife said "maybe." I never though she'd even consider that idea. 😯

1 - 12 of 12 Posts