Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this on a C50 yet and what all did you have to do and if you like it and did you have to buy a power commander for this to be right? Also did you add a K&N filter also? Need some help because I'm wanting to make this change but I want to know up front what all the cost is going to be plus what does it do the MPG really not what the books say.
Thanks,
MF

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an O5 C50. I installed V & H Straightshots about 6 weeks ago. I did not change the air filter. I did not install an aftermarket fuel processor (FI2000 or Power Commander). I have no problem with back firing or popping. I have not noticed any sort of power lag. The concensus seems to be that an aftermarket fuel processor is not required when installing pipes alone. It is more than likely required when changing pipes and installing a high-flow air cleaner. This is because the stock ECU cannot compensate for the increased air flow into the engine and the bike will end up running very lean.

My approach was to try the pipes without the fuel processor. If it worked - great. If not then I would add FP. Mine seems to be working fine so I won't be adding FP until I change the air cleaner.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I have Cruzers. My bike runs great.

I don't like the look of the stock air filter. I've also read a number of times that the bike runs easier at highway speeds if it has a good air filter.

So I'm considering a processor and filter up the road. You don't need a processor when you've only changed the pipes without changing the air flow.

There are some other things I want to spend my hard-earned money on first, though: apes, light bar, chrome lowers. Then I can think about the air filter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the Cruzers on my C50 and it runs AND sounds great. I am only going to install the processor so that I can add the K&N filter that I also purchased. You will probably have some backfiring when you downshift and decelerate, but it's not too bad. I am going to try and disable the PAIR valve this week and see how that works. But to answer your original question, the bike should run just fine with the new pipes without making any other changes. Good Luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I also have a 05 C50 and installed the V&H straightshots over the weekend. Bike runs great without the FI processor. I have alittle popping on de-acceleration but I'm sure disabling the pair valve will take care of it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone seen or heard the V&H classic II pipes. I have a C50T and I'm looking for a lowwww rumble like a Harley full dresser has. Am I asking too much?
Thanks,
Tinman

·
Super Moderator
56,241 Posts
I put the Straightshots on this week without the processor. It worked fine. I disabled the pair this morning with the golf tee trick and it cut out the popping and backfiring which I thought was fine before. It just cleaned all those extra noises right up even the downshifts sound so much cleaner now. It's right on and sounds great.

·
Super Moderator
56,241 Posts
craig7220 said:
I also have a 05 C50 and installed the V&H straightshots over the weekend. Bike runs great without the FI processor. I have alittle popping on de-acceleration but I'm sure disabling the pair valve will take care of it.
Disabling the pair did the trick. 10 minutes and 2 golf tees. Done deal.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
jimjack said:
So I'm considering a processor and filter up the road. You don't need a processor when you've only changed the pipes without changing the air flow.
Dude if you put on pipes you changed the air flow.

The small opening on the stock pipes compared to the one on aftermarket pipes changes the air flow considerable. Air flows out as well as it flows in.

To everyone who has dine this, I understand the FI computer on the C50 is "smart" enough to make a few minor changes on it's own. A lot of people have changed pipes and done nothing to the FI chip. What does that tell you?

CG

·
Registered
602 Posts
The exhaust alone doesn't help much. It will allow better flow, which may help the performance a little.

The reason for a bigger exhaust is to handle the larger amount of waste when you increase the airflow with a high flow filter.

You may notice an increase when adding ONLY a high flow filter, but you can't take advantage of it without increasing the capacity that the spent gasses can exit.

Basically you can think of a motor as a pump...visiualize a sump pump.
Small inlet and large outlet...no big change.
Large inlet and small outlet...nowhere for the extra water to go...poor performance.
Large inlet and large outlet...more capacity both in and out.

I'm just throwing this out for anyone who has trouble understanding the theory...not necessarily as an answer to this specific post.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Coilguy said:
jimjack said:
Dude if you put on pipes you changed the air flow.

The small opening on the stock pipes compared to the one on aftermarket pipes changes the air flow considerable. Air flows out as well as it flows in.

To everyone who has dine this, I understand the FI computer on the C50 is "smart" enough to make a few minor changes on it's own. A lot of people have changed pipes and done nothing to the FI chip. What does that tell you?

CG
Yea, the Cruzers changed the air flow, but I'm looking forward to really kicking it up a little further with a Tornado air kit and the Power Commander. Bike runs really well now, so I'll wait till I get some more essential things done first.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Hey this is great to know about just a pipe change on this cycle....I know our Gixxer took the Hotbodies pipe really well without a FI Commander change. The Hotbodies pipe runs the pipe straight out the tail under the seat. We did have to use heat insulation in the seat etc. But, that came with the setup.

Our 05- C50 is another story. I was not really wanting to De baffle...I really wanted to go with the HK's or a 2 into one pipe setup. It is nice to know the C50 will take it without a huge investment. Thanks for the info.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
56,241 Posts
BobandMary said:
Hey this is great to know about just a pipe change on this cycle....I know our Gixxer took the Hotbodies pipe really well without a FI Commander change. The Hotbodies pipe runs the pipe straight out the tail under the seat. We did have to use heat insulation in the seat etc. But, that came with the setup.

Our 05- C50 is another story. I was not really wanting to De baffle...I really wanted to go with the HK's or a 2 into one pipe setup. It is nice to know the C50 will take it without a huge investment. Thanks for the info.

Bob
cheap cheap :lol: just kiddin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Does any member have a 05-06 C50 with Vance &Hines p

mfd#1 said:
Does anyone have this on a C50 yet and what all did you have to do and if you like it and did you have to buy a power commander for this to be right? Also did you add a K&N filter also? Need some help because I'm wanting to make this change but I want to know up front what all the cost is going to be plus what does it do the MPG really not what the books say.
Thanks,
MF
I just installed a set of vance and hines cruzers a few days ago. I have not purchased a power commander yet and it runs just fine. I don't think that they are to loud but others seem to think they are. I have plans to get a hypercharger also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
added the K&N and the FI2000 this weekend AND hooked the tach back up. Very noticeable performance enhancement.....much quicker response moving through the gears. Did not disable the PAIR valve yet, but even the popping seems to have all but gone away. I left the stock settings on the FI2000 as they were set at the factory. I'm not sure that I even need to make any adjustments as the directions said I might have to....bike really runs sweet now.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just added V&H Straightshots and a Power Commander to my 2006 C50. I kept the stock air filter and it runs great. I have no backfiring and sounds gooooodd. I may install a HyperCharger air filter in the future. There was no mapping as yet for the HyperCharger. If anyone has this setup can you tell me what mapping you used?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts