Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Topic says it all. I have a 5 and 8 yr old. Bought a helmet today that fits them. The youngest is thrilled. The oldest is excited but not like the youngest. Anyways not going to push them but if they want to, I'll take them around the block. Any thoughts, stories or advice for us? Helmet Motorcycle helmet Personal protective equipment Clothing Sports gear

·
Registered
80 Posts
My nine year old grand daughter loves riding with me. We're doing a charity ride this Sunday to benefit pediatric brain cancer. It was her idea.

AL

·
Registered
21,205 Posts
My rule was they had to be able to ride a 2 wheel bicycle on their own, without training wheels. That way, they were familiar with the principle of balance and gyroscopic steering. That was 10 years ago.... Our most recent trip, they had their Nintendos connected between bikes and played games on our way south...

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
Different strokes,

Personally, I would never put my child on the back of a bike. In all honesty, I would never put anyone on the back of a bike. Motorcycling, simply, is not safe enough to expose a kids body to, IMHO.

Now, I dont think someone is a bad parent if they do, they're sharing with their kids... But it is very, very dangerous. A small crash could be life changing.

I have had my daughter riding sidecars with me since she was four, though...

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
And now we go all over

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
But note, i would have never let my daughter ride the open roadway, even in a sidecar rig, for the trip from Ohio to Georgia to start the Blue Ridge Parkway, nor did she ride back to Ohio from VA. Only on the more closed roadway, in a more controlled environment, would I let my girl ride long distances.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 8 year old daughter comes with me quite often. I wouldn't take her if the bike didn't have a secure seat with a back rest personally. She loves it back there. She really enjoys waving to other riders, cracks me up. Sometimes I can hear her singing away behind me, watching the scenery go by.

·
Registered
382 Posts
In my state, it is illegal for anyone under 18 to be on a moving motorcycle without a helmet. It is also illegal for anyone to ride if they are not able to reach the passenger pegs with the center of their foot - not just the toes. I like the suggestion of making sure they can handle the balance of a bicycle without training wheels before letting them ride on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
21,205 Posts
The only thing about riding with your kids is be aware of who ends up riding with you..... It was pointed out to me that riding is an outlet to some and the presence of children along makes them....... Uncomfortable.

·
Super Moderator
33,550 Posts
My boys won't ride with me until they can, not only reach, but stand up on the pegs, and I have to be able to fully trust them and know they won't do something stupid.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Love all the input! I like the idea, thought behind, of being able to ride a bike. Both girls can with out training wheels. Didn't really give any thought to the backrest though. I don't have one and will look more into that. I don't think they would be wanting to go for more then around the block honestly, and I don't want them to be around other cars. Thinking just neighborhood/alley runs for a while. Gonna put plenty of thought and preparation into it before just throwing them back there, don't need CPS called for endangering kids. Lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought my girls gear 1 year before they could ride with me. They knew that that they needed all the gear all the time. They were 9 and 7 before they got on the back.

Yes, some people questioned my sanity, but I got my kids introduced in a safe manner where they knew that a helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots are required before you ever think about getting on a bike.

Now that they are older (16 and 15), and might get on a bike with someone else, they still know the rule... all the gear all the time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Envious when I see Dad and son/daughter riding but just not for me. I removed the passenger pillion on my Vol and have never ridden 2-up with my wife. Riding is a solo venture for me but I like riding with others. I accept the inherent danger of motorcycling but I can't expose my only child to that. Not making any judgements, just me.

When she's 15-16 and if she's interested, I might change my mind.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I'll only ride kids (assuming the parents agree of course) when they can:
1. be big enough to sit comfortably on the seat with their feet flat on the floorboards,
2. be coordinated enough to lean easily in corners and turns, and
3. be mature enough to not freak out in traffic or a tight situation or jump around.

My two oldest grandsons (9,6) aren't ready yet IMHO. My nephew was ready at 11 but my neice (same age) is still not ready at 14 IMHO. It's my judgment that counts. Oh, ya and one more thing, I make sure they wear lots of safety gear!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well this is how my story went...my wife dropped off our daughter at the grandparents and they didn't have a car seat....so I had just got done fixing my bike (thanks to 03volusiarider) and decided to take it and strap on the car seat to the bike. Well I pulled her out and got ready to head out as soon as I sit on the bike a cop slammed his breaks through it into revers and jump out his car screaming " ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR [email protected]#$%ING MIND!!! GET OFF THE BIKE NOW!!!" Now understandingly I get it good idea but NO CAR CAR SEATS ON BIKES(except bicycles). Well we had confederated the situation and all was resolved when
he's saw no child was in the car seat...so I guess that she will just have to wait 5 more years :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.