Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am scheduled to lead 8 couples and 4 single riders to Lacrosse WI this Friday.

We ride over Friday, tour the countryside Sat and Sunday and ride home Monday, it is an annual event.

It has rained everyday this week. Forecast is for 40% chance of rain all four days.

I'm getting a lot of e-mails from the Nervous Nellies, ".....what if it rains...."

".....are we still going....." yada yada.

I've always figured if it isn't raining when it's time to launch, you launch and deal with whatever happens.

If it is raining you can see how long you can delay until you either have to launch or cancel. I see La Crosse was socked in with fog this morning.

Wife says she don't mind the rain but doesn't want to get over there and get weathered in in a motel room all weekend.

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
I am scheduled to lead 8 couples and 4 single riders to Lacrosse WI this Friday.

We ride over Friday, tour the countryside Sat and Sunday and ride home Monday, it is an annual event.

It has rained everyday this week. Forecast is for 40% chance of rain all four days.

I'm getting a lot of e-mails from the Nervous Nellies, ".....what if it rains...."

".....are we still going....." yada yada.

I've always figured if it isn't raining when it's time to launch, you launch and deal with whatever happens.

If it is raining you can see how long you can delay until you either have to launch or cancel. I see La Crosse was socked in with fog this morning.

Wife says she don't mind the rain but doesn't want to get over there and get weathered in in a motel room all weekend.

Your thoughts?
When we are on the road, we watch the weather radar to gauge the weather threat at the launch location and at the destination.... .... and judge any delays from there.... along with the Rock weather forecast.... if the Rock is wet... it's raining....

In between those two points it gets dealt with as necessary....

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I am from the Pacific Northwet. On our way back from Sturgis one of the riders broke her foot in Yellowstone and them proceeded to ride for 2 hours through the worse thunderstorms Yellowstone can offer so that she could check herself into the Bozeman hospital at 9:00 PM that night.

I say go for it. You know what they say about great women and Volusia riders, "no matter what happens next, they have already seen worse............" make the most of it. To reschedule is to cancel.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I have limited time off that needs scheduled months in advance, so I go no matter what the weather is when I leave or during the trip.

Riding in the rain is better than a day at work. Put on the gear and smile!

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I was hoping for a nice sunny weekend as well.

3 of us (myself, Moto-Suzzi & Stevokm) are participating in the Canada 911 Ride this weekend.

http://www.canadas911ride.com/

It's prepaid, the hotels are prebooked, and I'll I've seen this week, and in the forecast for the weekend is rain, rain and more rain.

Tried getting some of the gear ready tonight and found that with long pants on, chaps, and then rain pants, topped off with a Tshirt, and rain jacket, with a "high Viz" vest, I feel like the "Michelin Man" sitting in a sauna! (Probably sweat off 10 lbs this weekend!)

This ride is for a great cause so all I can think is to "suck it up", enjoy the "wet ride", and hope I have some dry clothes in my backpack/saddle bags for the dinner Saturday night.

Ride continues Sunday (again, rain in the forecast) and when it finishes I'll have about a 150 km highway ride home (in the rain???) to unpack, and repack for a trip to Pittsburgh and Washington Monday morning!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Riding in the sun is generally so much more fun... but rain is not the worst either.

For me, if it is an overnight trip then it goes Rain or Shine. If it is a day trip, then I might cancel is the weather is bad.

So I say go!

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We had a great time. No rain when we left or all the way there but it looked like it could have at any time. Ran through some fog for a way but not bad.

Had a great time riding through Wildcat Mountain state park on Saturday over to Lake Delton for lunch at Monks. Did ride through rain on the way back to Lacrosse almost all the way but it was mostly a light mist and not bad.

Rode through Mundoro cut on Sunday then cut back to Mississippi river and up river road on Wi side, crossed river and had lunch at Slippery's Tavern Wabasha MN. Slippery's is of Grumpy Old Men fame. Road up MN side to Red Wing crossed river again to WI side and road river road all the way back to LaCross. Could not have asked for a better day or ride, right up to the point where I tipped the bike over at a stop sign and threw wifey off by the side of the road. She was chewing my ass before I even got myself untangled from the bike. Bike just laid over on it's crash bar, no damage. Wife landed on her feet and the couple behind us gave her a perfect 10 for the dismount, I guess she really stuck the landing. Nothing injured other than my pride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.