Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all just a quick question, do windshield lowers really help with head buffeting that you can get with a windshield fitted to your bike or is it still there even with lowers fitted.

Please can we also have some truthful answers here. I have taken my windshield of my bike because the head buffeting it was driving me mad, now I don't mind refitting the windshield with lowers if they help but if it does not improve the ride that much I rather leave the bike how it is than go back to the head buffeting cheers.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I dropped the screen to it's lowest point and it seems to be less now. The problem that I have is that my beard flies upwards and either tickles or stings my nose depending on the speed.:biglaugh:

Lowers are supposed to help this I understand. Does not answer your question at all sir but adds another dimension to the melting pot.:wayhappy:

Coops.

·
Administrator
16,660 Posts
Lowers will definitely help with the buffeting. Windshield VS rider height also plays a part in it as well. Sometimes even helmet style.

Lot's of factors...but yes...lowers help.

Reactions: PopPop

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hello all just a quick question, do windshield lowers really help with head buffeting that you can get with a windshield fitted to your bike or is it still there even with lowers fitted.

Please can we also have some truthful answers here. I have taken my windshield of my bike because the head buffeting it was driving me mad, now I don't mind refitting the windshield with lowers if they help but if it does not improve the ride that much I rather leave the bike how it is than go back to the head buffeting cheers.
YES!

I made lowers and now, after having the same issue as you, I have a huge pocket of perfectly calm air. The difference of Tyson using your head as a speed bag on the highway to laying your head on a pillow.

Don't wait, it's a MASSIVE improvement. As a matter of fact, it's a complete solution. Mine are fairly long and cover a good area.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can say they help tremendously. I have the OEM screen at maximum height. At 6 foot I was confounded by the buffeting even though the screen was sending it over my head. Then in early August I put on the chrome lowers ( can't remember the name ) that attached to top outside screw on the triple tree and clamp on the fork. These are only about 3 inches wide and foot long but eliminated the vast majority of the buffeting. I imagine I could fit a home made acrylic bigger piece to the chrome making it taller and wider and eliminate it all. Hope this helps Chuck

·
Registered
404 Posts
As Captain Cruiser said, it also depends on rider and windshield height. I'm 5'9" and 33" inseam, most of my length is in my legs, so I sit low in the seat. Had some buffeting, but not too bad, VA lowers made absolutely no difference to me. Some people love them. I would suggest something wider and taller then VAs (if you're considering them). Put factory lowers on my new ride, Chief Vintage, big, big improvement.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
yes, they certainly help.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
ANOTHER BIG YES.

It sometimes takes a bit of time to get them positioned correctly for maximum benefit but even trial placement will show a definite improvement.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

The truth, to me, its almost insane to have a bike with a windshield without lowers.
Your beating yourself up for no reason (no pun intended)
Just makes no sense to have a shield and no lowers, anyway, some REALLY good low cost, well made lowers are Memphis Shades lowers.
Get them, your buffeting days will be over, its really that simple.

My last bike, vstar 1300 tourer had horrible buffeting when I bought it, a few days later, memphis shades lowers fixed it and could EASILY surpass any legal speed limit, though I never exceeded 90.

Just got a new Road King, it didnt really have buffeting, really surprised me but at interstate speeds I had more air then I wanted, so I put on Harleys fork deflectors (another name for lowers) once again, I can easily go any legal speed limit and higher in complete luxury, no buffeting.

·
Super Moderator
33,484 Posts
When I got my bike it had a National Cycle 2-up shield on it. I couldn't get over 50mph without my head shaking so violently that I couldn't see where I was going. I bought a set of National Cycle lowers from a member here and now I can hit 90mph with no helmet shake.

Bottom line: lowers make a huge difference and are well worth the money.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I am 5'11" and had the stock c50 shield. I looked over it with my sheepskin seat cover. I added VR chrome lowers and they absolutely eliminated head buffeting for me on my 05. So much so that after my first ride on my new bike, I ordered chrome lowers.
I could wear any helmet after I added the VR lowers to my C50. 1/2, 3/4, modular or full. Prior to the lowers I could not ride over 50, after, any legal speed +.

·
Registered
21,181 Posts
The lowers help. They reduce the buffeting tremendously

·
Registered
96 Posts
Like many stated, I have the Chrome lowers and they make a big difference. I hardly have any helmet buffering and that's only on really windy days or speeds above 75. There's a reason most cruisers have some form of lowers on them.

·
Registered
410 Posts
When I bought my bike from the original owner last spring, the one and ONLY thing he had added to the bike was the lowers. It was otherwise 100% stock, even down to the little ugly sticker below the speedo on the gas tank. :) He said the lowers were worth every penny because the buffeting was horrible before them.

·
Super Moderator
33,484 Posts
As an added bonus, the chrome lowers look awesome, and I'm easily entertained by watching the reflection off of them at traffic lights. :wayhappy:

Reactions: Keith30

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Had the Nat. Cycles lowers on the Bully, they worked well. Pix in gallery of them. Ride safe. D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.