Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting the DJ mod. Did some extended riding at 65mph this week and kept upshifting to the non existant 6th gear. I usually don't ride over 60mph (indicated), but the legal limit was 65mph. Also plan to do some trips downstate and the interstate slab limit in WV is 70mph. Any owners in the northern panhandle of West Virginia have one installed? I am about 35 miles from Pittsburgh clear at the top of the panhandle. Would like to test ride one before shelling out the cash.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
bad andy said:
I am considering getting the DJ mod. Did some extended riding at 65mph this week and kept upshifting to the non existant 6th gear. I usually don't ride over 60mph (indicated), but the legal limit was 65mph. Also plan to do some trips downstate and the interstate slab limit in WV is 70mph. Any owners in the northern panhandle of West Virginia have one installed? I am about 35 miles from Pittsburgh clear at the top of the panhandle. Would like to test ride one before shelling out the cash.
I test rode my friend's C50 with the DJ Mod and then just had to have one of my own! Best mod out there hands down for our bikes!

·
Administrator
53,871 Posts
I'd love to have another gear and My DJ drive! :wink:

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
Psyc0 said:
I'd love to have another gear and My DJ drive! :wink:
Now that's just greedy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
waterse said:
Got one in my garage, trying to work up the courage to install it.
Waiting for my knee to heal :(

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wow! I got mine installed last night. This thing is great. Makes the bike a whole new beast. You shift so much less and enjoy the low end grunt a lot more. The reduced vibration at highway speeds makes the slab so much more comfortable. With my stretched out highway pegs it's like an easy chair. Can't imagine going back.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spent a good two hours reading all the threads here and over on the Intruder Alert site and took the plunge! I'm #78 on the waiting list. :D .

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm on the list and waiting, however I still have some reservations...

I can appreciate the benefits once underway, but how much more clutch feathering & wear is required when starting from a standstill?

On edit, how do you know your position on the illustrious "list"? Web page? Daily calls to Dan?

Edmo

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Edmo said:
I'm on the list and waiting, however I still have some reservations...

I can appreciate the benefits once underway, but how much more clutch feathering & wear is required when starting from a standstill?

On edit, how do you know your position on the illustrious "list"? Web page? Daily calls to Dan?

Edmo
havn't installed mine yet(injured) but if you want to know where you stand on the list only dan can tell you w/ and email or phone. But i wouldn't do it daily......you'de slow production! Once a week at most i'de say.

·
Registered
686 Posts
it does take a bit more clutch feathering from a stop. That's the only downside I've found. It's not as bad as taking off in second (which I've done occasionally by accident) and I think I'll get the hang of it pretty quick. The nice thing is that you end up shifting a lot later and less often. I think after a week or 2 you can learn to start with minimal clutch slipping.

·
Registered
240 Posts
grego said:
it does take a bit more clutch feathering from a stop. That's the only downside I've found. It's not as bad as taking off in second (which I've done occasionally by accident) and I think I'll get the hang of it pretty quick. The nice thing is that you end up shifting a lot later and less often. I think after a week or 2 you can learn to start with minimal clutch slipping.
You're exactly right, once you've been riding it a bit you adjust to the clutch and hardly even notice it. I sure don't notice it anymore and the other day I accidentally took off in second with my DJ drive. The guy behind would not have known. I don't see the higher ratio in first as a downside, the bike still has enough grunt to leave most 4 wheeled vehicles at the line.

Regards

·
Registered
590 Posts
... heh heh ... anyone ever put a VL800/C50 final drive in a VL1500/C90?? ...

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
RevBill said:

WHY

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
4dtvman said:
RevBill said:
WHY
Does the term "Bat out of Hell" ring a bell?!
The why is the same as when we put 4:11 rear ends in our muscle cars. Putting a C50 drive on a C90 would give it ridiculous torque and quarter mile speeds that would rival any weekend racer. These bikes already perform very well in their class, but if a C90 was doing Boulevard runs at the final ratio of a C50 the heads would be snapping left on Friday nights!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts