Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, as I finalize my decision whether to get the DJ Mod, I was curious if anybody who has already done it now regrets it? Are there any significant downsides or unintended consequences? Besides reducing the rpms, hopefully it will make cruising 60-70 mph much more smooth than now.

Also, not being mechanically inclined, is there anybody within 200 miles of Evansville, Indiana who has installed one before who can install mine for pay? If so, PM me. Otherwise, I will just make a 2-day trip out of it by driving to northeast Ohio if I decide to get it done.

Thanks!
Gary

·
Super Moderator
8,879 Posts
I didn't. No regrets, no consequences.

I will say -- and I am in the minority here -- that I didn't feel it turned the C50 into an entirely different bike. A better C50, yes, absolutely. Did it turn my C50 into a C90? No.

Ultimately I decided that what I was seeking was a heavier bike with a larger motor. But until/unless you are sure that's what you are seeking, the DJ or similar mod is an excellent one. (And the mod has good resale value, too.)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I have owned several Goldwings before. Although I know the DJ mod won't make the C50T as smooth on the open highway as a Goldwing, I'll be happy if it runs 60-70mph without that "winding out" sound and vibrating feeling that makes me grip the handlebars tighter than a bag of $100 bills downtown on the sidewalk at 2am :biglaugh: I just want to be able to cruise at that speed in a relaxed way. If the DJ Mod won't accomplish that, please let me know.

btw, the reason I sold the Goldwing and bought the C50T is because I mostly ride the rural roads, and so I love the size and agility of it on 35-50 mph roads.

·
Super Moderator
8,879 Posts
Aaah, 35-50 mph -- My Favorite Speed! (No joke; I once started a thread about it.)

I found the C50 to be wonderful fun at those speeds. If that's all I ever intended to do with it, I'd still have it.

Where the C50 fell down for me was from 55 and up. I just didn't feel confident on it at 75 MPH, about the minimum for the NYS Thruway, which I take back and forth to work. Frankly, I'm sure a lot of that was simply my perception; there are many, many riders on this forum who seem unbothered by the relative lightness of the C50 at super-highway speeds.

The DJ-type mod will drop your bike's RPMs wonderfully. It'll take you about half an hour to get used to the new feel of first gear, and the rest is gravy. Imagine getting all the way through the intersection before needing to shift into second gear!! :D

It's the gearing Suzuki *should* have given this bike at the the factory. Just don't expect it to turn the C50 into a 900-pound flat 6. ;)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The C50 is definitely too light on it's feet around 90 mph indicated. Buzz isn't the only problem you should adjust your windshield for more down force at higher speeds along with bumping up the front tire pressure. It's hard to see from your Avatar but it looks like you need to add lowers. For improving the feel of the brakes I recommend Steel brake line, high performance pads, and good driving gloves. Try riding with a full face helmet if you don't already do it. It will improve the feel of high speed wind and should reduce noises associated with higher speed running.

And yes the DJ mod will reduce vibes but the lightness at 90 MPH indicated needs to be adjusted for. Use the wind at speed to your advantage adjust your windshield, Even carrying more in your saddle bags can help some.

·
Administrator
16,305 Posts
I think the drive mod is one of the best mods you can do to the bike - hands down. As stated it doesn't make it a heavier bike, but it definitely makes it a much more enjoyable ride with the stretched out gears.

Installation is not that bad - there are some very good instructional threads on here. You may be able to find someone close by to help out - takes about 2 hours the first time.

·
Registered
20,172 Posts
I have done it and am very happy. It will take a short time to get use to the starting gears but it is nothing big.
Is the drive and shaft still connected? This is tbe perfect time to moly the splines. I'm. in Indy and could help with the install and lube.

·
Registered
439 Posts
No regrets here. It definitely makes it better on the top end. You will lose some on the bottom, on takeoffs but it doesn't take long to get use to it. I love mine, never going back. If you can remove and reinstall your back tire, you should be able to do this mod without much problem. Sorry I'm not closer or I would help.

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
The only thing I regret is not doing it sooner. Between the DJ Drive and the Mustang saddle, these are what should be considered MANDATORY modifications for the bike....

·
Super Moderator
8,879 Posts
I obtained the installation instructions and gave them, plus the DJ Drive and my bike, to a local bike mechanic. He just did the job for me. Well worth the price of an hour's labor. (Later, when I traded the C50, my dealer removed the DJ Drive and put my original shaft back in the bike, so I could-resell the DJ Drive. I got back almost what I'd paid for it.)

Another vote for fork-mounted lowers. They're very worthwhile at highway speeds.

·
Registered
988 Posts
No regrets whatsover!

Nicer cruising on the highway and less frequent shifting in the city . You can hold onto first gear long enough to get through most 2 lane intersectons with the mod.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have done it and am very happy. It will take a short time to get use to the starting gears but it is nothing big.
Is the drive and shaft still connected? This is tbe perfect time to moly the splines. I'm. in Indy and could help with the install and lube.
PM sent. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts