Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a couple of friends that are machinist and I was wondering if anyone knows what is actually done to the shaft for this mod. I think I have found the rear drive unit from a 1400, and was seriously considering having the "DJ Hills" mod done since all I have to do is buy the driveshaft/housing unit, a 12 pack and a bowl,,,,,,BAM,,, a "DJ Hills" mod.

·
Registered
20,696 Posts
The drive shaft is 5/16" too long for the frame and will bind up the transmission in you try to run an unmodified drive. The DJ drive was born when he cut the drives haft by the appropriate amount, sleeved and welded it back together, then turned the sleeve on a lathe to balance the drives haft.

In addition to the machine work on the drives haft, you also need a smaller axle spacer for the wheel which he made from tube stock and the outer casing needed to be ground away slightly to accommodate the fake swing arm.

The 1400 drive has a bolt embedded in the side that either can be left alone or removed, depending on your asthetic pleasure.

The net result is about 10% lower rpm at a given speed, but at the cost of some power. It is really easy to lug the engine and stall, so you have to use more clutch to get going.

·
Premium Member
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The drive shaft is 5/16" too long for the frame and will bind up the transmission in you try to run an unmodified drive. The DJ drive was born when he cut the drives haft by the appropriate amount, sleeved and welded it back together, then turned the sleeve on a lathe to balance the drives haft.

In addition to the machine work on the drives haft, you also need a smaller axle spacer for the wheel which he made from tube stock and the outer casing needed to be ground away slightly to accommodate the fake swing arm.

The 1400 drive has a bolt embedded in the side that either can be left alone or removed, depending on your asthetic pleasure.

The net result is about 10% lower rpm at a given speed, but at the cost of some power. It is really easy to lug the engine and stall, so you have to use more clutch to get going.
AWESOME explain,,, TYVM,, will talk to a buddy of mine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts