Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain the concept of these drives, and how they effect the C50 style. I'm trying to make a decision on installing this unit. Hope I didn't open a can of worms {clash of opinions} with this question. Thanks

·
Administrator
16,661 Posts
My opinion is that hands down this is the best mod you can do for your bike.....period.

It stretches all your gears and makes the bike more of a joy to ride.

Just my opinion though.

Reactions: RellaLou

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
The concept is that changing the final drive raises the final drive ratio which lowers engine rpm in all gears.

It's been calculated to raise the drive ratio by 14%. Higher gear ration = lower rpm.

Higher gear ratio also = less torque to the rear wheel so you have slightly less "grunt" when you let the clutch out.

The effect on riding the bike is that you stay in each gear a little bit longer, it takes the bike a little longer to wind out. When you reach cruising speed in 5th gear the engine is turning less rpm, does not sound like it's working as hard and is less "buzzy".

I honestly can say I never noticed any difference in the clutch in first gear, I think the bike launches just fine. First thing I noticed was how much longer I could leave it in first gear and next thing I noticed was lower rpm in 5th.

·
Super Moderator
33,549 Posts
I think this is a safe topic. Pretty much everyone agrees that they're an excellent mod for the bike and needed if you're going to spend a lot of time on the slab. I, for instance, don't have one because I do most of my riding in the mountains and stay in 3rd and 4th gear, so it's really not something I'd get my money's worth out of. If you're doing a lot of intestate riding I'd recommend it though.

Reactions: 472viper

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
I no longer have my C50.....I've had a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 since 08' but the
DJ drive was the best mod i ever did to the C50, and I did a bunch of mods.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I put one in my bike before I pulled it out of her winter hybernation, I absolutely love it. As Viper stated, I notice no difference when taking off from a stop and can now stay in first through a turn when taking off from a stop rather than having to shift. A lot of my riding is on secondary highways cruising at 50-55 mph in 4th gear! I only use 5th when Im on the primary highways travelling over 65mph. RPM is noticably lower at those speeds and I seem to get a little further between fill ups. In my opinion if you do much highway cruising, this will be the best bang for your buck mod, hands down.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I put one on that I installed in middle of June. ( A big shout out to MOTIV for the one he sent me ) What a world of difference. Most of ridding is state hwys and secondary hwy at 55 to 65. At 55 when looking for that 6th gear I had it. In towns instead of using 3 and 4th, I am in 2 and 3rd thus less shifting. Fuel milage increased by 2 to 3 mpg. On mine I notice a diff in 1st, have to slip the clutch more but over time I notice it less.
Chuck

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree with other comments about the merits of the DJ mod. As for style, the only change visually is omitting the fake (left) swingarm. That does change the look of the bike a little, but it seems that only I notice. No one else does, at least on my bike which has saddlebags. It is possible to modify the swingarm so it can be re-installed, maybe I will do that to mine over the winter. There is little change to the riding style of the bike other than more pleasant gear ranges. You have to re-learn shift points, not a big deal. There are several threads on this site that discuss the mod, one that goes all the way back to the beginning (2006 or so) giving a rather complete history of the concept and how the mod evolved to the generally accepted practice of today. I have no regrets at all after making the change, in fact any traces of previous bike envy are now gone. I whole heartedly endorse it. I am moderately mechanically inclined & managed to install the mod myself. (Never took a rear wheel off a bike before.) I had the drive shaft modified locally & bought a good 1400 drive on eBay, so probably saved about $100 doing the job myself over buying the mod kit complete.

·
Administrator
16,661 Posts
I love mine on the highway.... traveling at high speeds is no longer so "exhausting" as I'm not constantly looking for 6th gear anymore. :wayhappy:
You have the JJ mod :biglaugh:

·
Administrator
16,661 Posts
Get one and we'll install it for you next spring at the Wmass Wrench party.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Suzuki Boulevard C50 2005: technical specifications

The C50 max hp is at 6000 rpm so I don't really see why the need for a 14% reduction in rpm why would you want to keep out of the max power area of the engine? At only 53 hp I would think you need to use the higher power available at higher rpms for slab cruising.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Using the bike as a ''cruiser'', I'm more concerned with the 3500 rpm where max torque is made. (all 50.9 ftlb of it)

That means that with the ''DJ mod'', you can comfortably cruise in 5th gear down to about 50 mph/80kph (actual) at 2700rpm+/- - if you don't need acceleration or speed maintenance on a hill.

I've found that around 55mph (actual) is my preferred bottom limit for speed in 5th gear.

I've also found that using the 89 octane seems better suited to those rpm's in 5th gear so far as possible pinging/power goes.... because those speeds are where the ''lugging'' situation begins. -- but you know the accuracy of the butt dyno... I did the conscious observation of this on my holidays this year where I was riding the same roads back and forth to the beach every day...with some good hills to check things out. At any rate I am convinced but I still believe that most would not benefit from the more expensive fuel - especially with the stock drive.

There.... that should fix the ''safe thread'' situation... :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
The C50 max hp is at 6000 rpm so I don't really see why the need for a 14% reduction in rpm why would you want to keep out of the max power area of the engine?
Is that what you want to do, cruise all day long at 6000 rpm ?

The higher gear ratio is going to mean less torque in 5th gear for things like passing.

A simple downshift into 4th takes care of that.

The benefit is to those that spend a lot of time in 5th at 75 to 80 mph indicated, the bike is not turning as many rpms, doesn't feel like it's working as hard, and provides a more enjoyable riding experience.

I find as I spend more time on 2 lane oil roads at 55 to 65 mph I don't spend much time in 5th, spend more time in 4th. So with that type of riding the mod really does not realize it's full potential.

It's not for everybody but it certainly does work for others. What is it they say about different strokes.................?

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
33,549 Posts
I've also found that using the 89 octane seems better suited to those rpm's in 5th gear so far as possible pinging/power goes.... because those speeds are where the ''lugging'' situation begins. -- but you know the accuracy of the butt dyno... I did the conscious observation of this on my holidays this year where I was riding the same roads back and forth to the beach every day...with some good hills to check things out. At any rate I am convinced but I still believe that most would not benefit from the more expensive fuel - especially with the stock drive.

There.... that should fix the ''safe thread'' situation... :biglaugh:
Wait! Did you just bring up fuel octane?!

:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Is that what you want to do, cruise all day long at 6000 rpm ?

The higher gear ratio is going to mean less torque in 5th gear for things like passing.

A simple downshift into 4th takes care of that.

The benefit is to those that spend a lot of time in 5th at 75 to 80 mph indicated, the bike is not turning as many rpms, doesn't feel like it's working as hard, and provides a more enjoyable riding experience.

I find as I spend more time on 2 lane oil roads at 55 to 65 mph I don't spend much time in 5th, spend more time in 4th. So with that type of riding the mod really does not realize it's full potential.

It's not for everybody but it certainly does work for others. What is it they say about different strokes.................?
No I too wouldn't want to cruise at 6000 rpm. In top gear 5th, the stock gearing for 80 mph actual would be 5000 rpm; with an 80mph speedo indicated closer to 4500 rpm actual. A stock C50 would be cruising at actual 95 mph at 6000 rpm which by the speedo indication would be a little over a 100 mph.
Which to me seems to indicate the gearing as supplied is well suited to the Max 53 HP at 6000 rpm.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.