Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been finding out bits and pieces regarding the DJ Drive mod, but, I am still somewhat hesitant to go about having it done due to some confusion on the modification.

Why is this mod considered by a lot who have had it done to be a great mod? What does it accomplish?

What would I need to get in order to have it done to my 2009 C50T?

What is the difference between the C90 final drive, and the 1400? Which would be the better choice?

Finally, who is a reliable person to have this mod done?

Are C50 owners still having this mod done today?

Thanks lots in advance for any and all responses.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I don't know the difference between the 1500 and 1400 drives, but it would definitely still help you with your 09. Yes, people still do them. I recently put one on mine. It gives you a wider final drive ratio. It basically reduces your highway RPMs significantly. I change into gear at around 65 mph. Motiv still does them. I think he is actually working on one right now I believe.

·
Super Moderator
34,433 Posts
I don't have the mod, so I don't know that I can answer everything, but I'll share what I know.

The DJ drive swaps out the drive shaft on an 800/C50 with one from a 1400/C90. If you've ever ridden your bike on the intestate you will find a desire to shift again around 60mph, but you'll already be in 5th gear. This is because Suzuki geared 5th a bit tighter than they should have, or alternatively they didn't add a 6th gear. People add a DJ drive so the bike doesn't run as high of an rpm at higher speeds. It makes the C50 a bit more comfortable on long distance rides and arguably increases your top speed slightly.

The best way to do the mod is to purchase a drive from someone with experience making them or a used one from a member here. If you've got a lot of mechanical experience and an ability to weld you can make one yourself, the instructions are here on this forum, but bear in mind that modding the drive shaft is what I would call an expert level mod.

C50 owners are still installing them, but I'm not sure if anyone is left making them, so used may be your only option now.

Hope that clears things up a bit, but if not I'm sure someone smarter than me will come along and make it clear as mud.

*edit: Forgot to answer the question about a 1400 vs a C90. I don't think there's a difference, but if someone can't say for sure, I'd stick with a like shaft, meaning a Boulevard for a Boulevard and a Volusia for a Volusia.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
To clarify what Whiskey offered, the final drive is used from a C90, 1500 or I guess a 1400. The drive shaft has to be modified to fit on the C50. That is the mod part. the drive unit is almost bolt in. Its the drive shaft that needs to be modified. Your using the drive shaft from the bigger bike. I've had the mod done a few years ago and it made the bike much better but it depends on how much highway riding you plan or or doing. For around town, probably does not make that much difference. For my needs on the highway, could not go without it.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I haven't done it yet (but likely will) but I have read a bunch of posts about it.
1. Changes gears by about 14%. So, you stay in first gear longer before feeling the need to change to second gear. So, instead of shifting at 18-20, you may wait until around 25 to shift. This change in gears means you will drive around at 55mph in fourth gear instead of fifth. Also, you should gain a higher top end speed. For example, instead of 100mph, you might get 110-115mph. (Lower RPMs addressed by others already.)

Also, this means your motorcycle won't take off quite as fast. Most people seem to say you really won't notice this loss of take off power in first gear. If you are jumping off the line all the time and going from 0-60 as quickly as possible, you may notice you are a little slower off the line.

2. Answered by others

3. The c90 drive should be a newer drive (as in year model). Of course, it is possible to find a 1400 with fewer miles than a given c90 drive depending on the bikes the drives came from. It would be nice to know how many miles are on the drive before purchasing a used one. At any rate, you want splines that aren't worn down from many miles of use, so you can get the most out of them.

4. Some people buy used ones that were modified and used in a c50 already and just drop them in. Others buy a newly modified drive and install it. Others have taken on the task of buying the final drive and modifying it themselves. Unless you have a small machine shop, you will need to take some of the work to a local shop to have it done. I guess you could price this out but would want a shop you can trust. Installation takes several hours depending on mechanical skill.

5. Yep they are still done. As said, I plan to do it too. There is a lot of freeway around here, some with a 75mph speed limit. Although, I did have the bike up to around 100 indicated for a couple of minutes today, leaned down behind the windshield and my bike was growling along nicely. Buzzy but livable. I wouldn't do that speed for an hour though as I would tire of the buzziness (and I don't want a ticket/impound/night in jail as my SO probably wouldn't bail me out but tell me to suck it up and pay for my stupidity). I won't make the change to go faster but to make longer rides more pleasant.

I do try to lightly rest my feet on the floorboards. Today, going about 70mph on the speedo, I pressed my feet down hard on the floorboards and my feet were shaking a lot. If my feet shook like that at those speeds all of the time, I would have already sold some stuff around the house and switched the drives out. That shaking translates to the rest of your body.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The biggest difference between using the C90 or VS1400 final drive is that with a C90 final drive you'll need one extra part: a bushing. The C90 axle is larger in diameter than the C50 whereas the VS1400 is the same as the C50.

·
Registered
21,402 Posts
Rather than re-type what has already been done... What ^^^ They ^^^ said.

I had one on my C50. It DOES lower the overall engine RPM at a given speed. But it does NOT make the bike faster, nor does it do anything to add any power. In reality, it robs the bike of some of its performance.

The engine on the C50 does not produce much of its power until it gets above 3000 rpm. Unfortunately, the engine gets quite buzzy from there and gets worse as the revs mount. The idea behind the modified drive is to reduce that buzzing at a given speed by altering the gear ratio. But the gotcha is that it is producing LESS power at a given speed than before, based on the engine tuning.

With one installed, you have to ride the clutch longer to get going. Especially two up. When heavily loaded, it will NOT climb long hills in 5th gear. It requires a downshift into 4th and you just have to live with the revs....

Installation requires you to remove the fake swing arm and enlarge the bolt holes in the drive shaft support. It also requires a custom spacer and either the end of the shaft needs to be milled, the driveshaft needs to be cut, sleeved and welded, or the U-joint needs to be shortened to make sure it fits

I thought it was a terrific mod. But it did not let my C50 run like a bigger bike. There is no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The torque curve is pretty heavy at the low end, so it is still very driveable with the higher gearing. In fact, if you accidentally leave it in 2nd and start from a stop, it will handle it without much complaint. That said, I still like to rap out the engine to redline sometimes. I'm just geared that way!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
The only real tings you gain are you don't have to shift while turning through an intersection and greatly reduces the high revs (buzzing) at highway speeds.
some people claim better mileage and higher top speed but I did not get better or worse mileage and top speed is the same.
I have a couple of drives to part with, drop me a PM if you are interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.