Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for y'all. I noticed that my DJ Drive is leaking a little oil. Thanks to the white walls I figured this out before it caused the tire to get slippery. I tightened the drain bolt a little more and for a few days it was fine, but just now I checked and there was still a little oil on the bottom of the drive. I can't exactly tell where it's coming from. My current plan is to take out the drain plug and replace the crush washer with a brand new copper one, then tighten it up again. Aside from that, any suggestions on where it could be leaking from?

I know it's not leaking from the fill bolt (the drive is recently cleaned and there is absolutely no oil there), or from where the final drive unit is mounted to the shaft cover (no oil there either). Because of how the bike sits I can't tell if it's coming from under the lip of the final drive where it meets the wheel and drips onto the bolt or from the drain bolt and then drips towards the lip. I know the drive is pretty much full to the fill opening when the bike is level. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I had the same situation.
The new washer didn't help any, and I ended up removing the drive and replacing the big seal on the backside.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,091 Posts

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
I think Corey uses both the 1400 and 1500 drives. See if the part numbers are the same for both the 1400 and 1500.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
I had to replace mine last year. It was #18. It's fairly simple just be careful to not over torque the bolts when replacing the cover. They will snap easily.

·
Registered
19,519 Posts
If you use Permatex or similar, you need to apply the bead to the mating surface, then assemble the backing plate and HAND TIGHTEN the bolts around the circumference. After a specified period (4 to 24hrs, depends on what you choose), then you tighten the bolts with a wrench. If you don't allow it to partially cure, it will leak internally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts