Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got the nerve up to put the new DJ drive on. Invited a few friends (plied them with beer) and we takled the thing. I have to say this. If you have been thinking about this mod but have been hesitant, all I can say is Run, don't walk to your computer and get on the list. This thing is a bargain at twice the price. I know everyone here says it's the best thing since sliced bread but I was skeptical. Well I am a true believer now. A few points to ease the wondering mind.

1) I have very limited wrench skills and the idea of this mod scared the hell out of me. I honestly thought I could not handle it. But once me and my buddies started at it, it turned out to be not bad at all. And if I can do it I guarantee you can do it. Took us about 2 hours and we took our time at it.

2) My wife is a fairly new rider and she was very concerned that it would be difficult to get used to a bike all over again that she only recently got used to in the first place. We anticipated days of hesitant practice while adjusting to it. Not at all. My wife hopped on and off she went. She reports that there was no difficulty at all adjusting. There is no big change in first gear, take off is if anything a little smoother. And after that nothing but butter. She could not believe how much smoother and sweeter the ride was.

3) The tools make the difference. Get a good quality step up drill bit. I bought a titanium model from Lowes, cost over 30 dollars. But it drilled so easy we were able to drill out the holes with a CORDLESS DRILL. We chased the holes with a carbide 9/16 twist bit to clean them up. This was by far the hardest part, and it's not that hard. And make sure you have a buddy or 2. I can't recommend this as a 1 man job. And a lift is a good investment.

There are a few problems I encountered that I want to post here just in case you find them useful:

Step 3 of the DJ instructions have you remove 4 swingarm bolts. The ones labled 1 and 2 can be a bit tricky

It's tight in there. My ratchet is 3/8 so I use an adapter to step down to 1/4 to use my 10mm socket. There is not enough room for this. I had to get a 1/4 ratchet. Make sure your socket does not need an adapter or you will not have the clearance.

Instruction 5 remove the axle bolt recommends using a 7/8" box end wrench on the axle bolt nut. I had trouble with the nut wanting to strip. It seems a bit brittle.

I had better luck with a 12 point socket. On my wifes C-50 this nut was very tight, took some doing to break loose.

We found a right angle drill and the titanium step up bit with some cutting fluid (got both at Lowes) made the drilling very smooth. Make sure to protect the paint and cover the drive shaft housing and the exposed gears on the wheel hub as the drilling will fling a lot of little metal shavings around. A drop cloth on the ground is a good bet as well. Make sure there are no stray filings before you assemble the drive. Oh, and safety goggles for sure, the metal shavings are smoking hot.

Thanks to DJ for such a great item and thanks to Fifer who sold me the drive and took great care in it's packaging. My wife is almost as happy as the day we bought the bike.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks for the update! I've been hesitant about getting a DJ Drive - been debating between this and going for a new C109.... Not too sure. Might just go with the DJ and hold off for a couple of years with a new ride!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I ordered mine last November and recieved it in mid April. Tis a thing of beauty though...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Installed mine last weekend fairly straight forward and uneventful. It is everything everyone says and more. The instructions Dan supplies are great!
The one aspect I really like about it is when you approach say a green light and you are turning right. I found stock the question was always do I drop it into 1st gear and feel like I am going to launch over the windshield or do I pull in the clutch and coast around the corner, or do I leave it in second etc..?
Now no decision to make, drop it into first and listen to the nice V Twin rumble I no longer have the feeling of going into a launch or if it is wet or slippery of the rear wheel breaking loose!

I like it so far money well spent! 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hey CndWrangler

The C109 is sweet but it seems a little pricey? Aw what the heck those beautiful flat streches of SASK. will just eat it up! Make sure you get the radar detector I think you may need it!

Gosh I love spending other peoples money it is so easy!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thanks for the great info waterse. I've had the same concerns but after reading all the information and testimonials I think I'm ready to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, 100 miles in and I have to say, I think this drive may wind up saving me about $20,000. My wife has never ridden a motorcylce in her life. She's now....well lets just say she's definitely over 21 and learning to ride for the first time. She is taking to it like a duck to water and rides nearly every day. She likes her C-50 but since we started riding in a group of mostly Harleys she has been talking about trading up to a Softail Deluxe. She does not like that she has trouble keeping up or that it feels uncomfotable on the highway when we get to 70 or 75. Well we took a 100 mile run today to get her used to the new DJ drive and I was having trouble keeping up on my Harley when she opened it up. At 55 I was already in 5th and she had just shifted into 4th. We came to a strech of rode where the spped limit jumped to 70 and she opened it up. Since she was in 4th and I was in 5th she left me behind. I started to catch up at about 65 and she dropped to 5th and off she went again. I caught up about 75 and she was having no trouble, got to about 80 before she laid off, didn't want to get a ticket or anything. Needless to say she no longer likes her C-50, she loves it. And I am not sure you'd be able to convince her to trade it now.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Priced out those C109's... even american price - Gonna put myself on the list to order a DJ.... someday here :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
CndWrangler said:
Priced out those C109's... even american price - Gonna put myself on the list to order a DJ.... someday here :lol:
Just do it. I finally got mine installed today after having it sit int he basement for most of the winter. I was waiting for the weather to finally warm up. All I can say is 'amazing'. Hitting 100 in 4th and realizing that I still have a gear to go is a great feeling. Actually I also discovered that under some hard acceleration, I can hit 100 in 2nd.

·
Registered
803 Posts
TMOE4U said:
CndWrangler said:
Just do it. I finally got mine installed today after having it sit int he basement for most of the winter. I was waiting for the weather to finally warm up. All I can say is 'amazing'. Hitting 100 in 4th and realizing that I still have a gear to go is a great feeling. Actually I also discovered that under some hard acceleration, I can hit 100 in 2nd.
100 in second :roll: You must sure mean KMPH not MPH! Damn man don't insult our ability to know BS when we hear it

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
wesdalton said:
100 in second :roll: You must sure mean KMPH not MPH! Damn man don't insult our ability to know BS when we hear it
TMOE4U lives in Canada jackass of course he's talking KPH...

wesdalton you should consider not drinking if your going to reply here.
There's absolutely no need to drop in just to be a dick to these good people!

·
Registered
51 Posts
waterse said:
Well, 100 miles in and I have to say, I think this drive may wind up saving me about $20,000. My wife has never ridden a motorcylce in her life. She's now....well lets just say she's definitely over 21 and learning to ride for the first time. She is taking to it like a duck to water and rides nearly every day. She likes her C-50 but since we started riding in a group of mostly Harleys she has been talking about trading up to a Softail Deluxe. She does not like that she has trouble keeping up or that it feels uncomfotable on the highway when we get to 70 or 75. Well we took a 100 mile run today to get her used to the new DJ drive and I was having trouble keeping up on my Harley when she opened it up. At 55 I was already in 5th and she had just shifted into 4th. We came to a strech of rode where the spped limit jumped to 70 and she opened it up. Since she was in 4th and I was in 5th she left me behind. I started to catch up at about 65 and she dropped to 5th and off she went again. I caught up about 75 and she was having no trouble, got to about 80 before she laid off, didn't want to get a ticket or anything. Needless to say she no longer likes her C-50, she loves it. And I am not sure you'd be able to convince her to trade it now.
Hi,
Said wife here...first let me say, Thanks Honey for the vote of confidence. Makes me feel great knowing you think I ride well, and all. And I kinda held back like you said, mostly because like you mentioned I didn't want to get a ticket. I absolutly love, love, love this bike now. I liked riding it before, but now I can't wait to get it out on the interstate and see what it will do...Wow what a difference. If you are holding back, let me say...get this mod! BTW, I had heard that you loose first, and it feels like taking off in 2nd, not so, I used to have to hold some clutch when taking off so it wouldn't surge, not anymore. It is so smooth on take off, and is really a joy to ride. I can't wait to take it to Myrtle Beach in couple weeks! WhooHooo! Lets Ride.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Ive got 1000 miles on my Dj drive now and it is a fantastic mod. It makes this bike awsome. I use to think about getting a bigger bike but now thats over. I went through every bike (cruiser) on the internet the other day just to see what is being made now. There were a few I would like to have but the price kills it or the big gas guzzling engines kills it for me. There just isnt any thing out there that im lusting over. And nothing that will get me from point A to B any better than what ive got now for the money. Im pretty much done with the mods. Might put some Vance and hines cruisers on it some day any how here is a pic of it DJ mod and all.

·
Registered
284 Posts
3 questions, please:

- is this DJ Drive just for the C50's, or older bikes (like my '04 VL800) could have it as well?
- why to speed up at 75-80+ mph, who' rushing you? Or you just wanna show others how great you are? Not worth it, imo...riders often get killed b/c of speeding, and it's also an illegal speed in most of the states (and entire Canada).
- I heard this is a fairly new "invention" ... is it reliable in a long run, will it last or it'll break down in 1 year or so? Actually you can't answer this, you don't know, sorry, I was just wondering.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
rcsiki said:
- I heard this is a fairly new "invention" ... is it reliable in a long run, will it last or it'll break down in 1 year or so?
Cheers!
It's a C90 rear end... Suzi has used them for years.

It's not really for speed, (unless you want it to be :) )

Just gives you 8~10 mpg increase and generally eliminates the buzz and vibration on the slabs.

RPM's lowered about 600... like having the 6th gear we should have had.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is a DJ Drive thread with 126 pages of information, history, and testing. Numerous members have thousands of miles on their drives. I don't have mine yet, but have been invoiced. If you run 65 on the interstate in California, you better be watching your mirrors or you might get run over.

·
Administrator
53,858 Posts
rcsiki said:
3 questions, please:

- is this DJ Drive just for the C50's, or older bikes (like my '04 VL800) could have it as well?
- why to speed up at 75-80+ mph, who' rushing you? Or you just wanna show others how great you are? Not worth it, imo...riders often get killed b/c of speeding, and it's also an illegal speed in most of the states (and entire Canada).
- I heard this is a fairly new "invention" ... is it reliable in a long run, will it last or it'll break down in 1 year or so? Actually you can't answer this, you don't know, sorry, I was just wondering.

Cheers!
rcsiki:

-The C90 rear drive will fit all VL800 machines whether carbureted, or fuel injected. It simply replaces the factory C50/Volusia drive unit, and does so with only a minor modification of the machine.

-The interstate speeds in many areas of the USA are 70+ mph, and the C90 drive is very accommodating in this respect. Also, as others have said, the RPM's are lowered allowing a substantial decrease in vibration (and increased comfort), and a slight decrease in fuel consumption.

-This C90 drive is heavier built, versus the stock C50 drive, and therefore, it's highly unlikely that You would ever break the unit.
VR member "BikerPops" has over 12,000 miles on his DJ Drive (C90 drive), and has no complaints what_so_ever!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that everyone who has installed this drive, feels as though the machine should have been "factory geared" in this manner.

Hope this and other members posts bring satisfactory answers to your questions! :wink:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Ditto above answers. It's not about going 80 mph instead of 70 mph. It's going that same 70 mph (or 65 or whatever) at lower rpms for a less "buzzy" ride. A little better fuel mileage doesn't hurt. Best evaluated by riding someone's bike who has the DJ Mod.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts