Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions and I don't believe I have seen any references in any past threads.

1. The spring inside the final drive housing that keeps tension on the drive shaft is "internal" on the C50. Meaning there is disassembly required to access it. On the C90 it appears that it is a stand alone component held in place by the cir-clip.
2. My C90 was shipped without the internal axle sleeve. Can I use the sleeve from the C50 final drive.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Regardless of which driveshaft you are using, use the spring that goes with the drive, not the spring that goes with the driveshaft i.e. C90 spring with C90 final drive.

The sequence is spring, driveshaft, circlip, grease seal.

You can use the C50 axle sleeve. Left unmodified it will leave a pretty good gap between wheel hub and drive housing allowing moisture and road grime to infiltrate. Recommended to shorten oem sleeve 2mm. Or can use piece of tubing that accomadates axle O.D. and fits final drive housing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Good info Viper. I would add that it's a quick process taking 2mm off the stock spacer with a lathe whether you do it yourself or pay someone. I will say the spacer material is very hard. I had to use a diamond tip on the lathe. Also I took the 2mm off the smaller end.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Viper / Wayne,
You guys are a tremendous help to all of us who mod.! Thank you very much.

BTW, I know you and probably most members already know, the exhaust system does not need to be removed for this mod. - at least for the removal. If one were to "go by the book", they would add the time and hassle messing around with the exhaust. I do need to add that if, in order to remove the axle you need to tap on the nut end, the pipes need to come off. The first time I removed the rear wheel on mine, it was corroded so much that I literally had to use 3 lb. sledge hammer. Not fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts