Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
28,833 Posts
I know Motiv was doing them and I think VinnySD knows some one who can do the mod to it.

I know there are people who know people who can mod the driveshaft and the axle spacer done for you.

Even if you had zero mechanical ability you could take it to a dealer or and independent and have the driveshaft removed, send it out for modification and have dealer and independent install the modified shaft back in the drive for you.

You can get 'er done, just be patient.

· Registered
4,466 Posts
I've had some dealers tell me they don't know of the modded drive or what its all about and some tell me they would not install due to liability issues as not a stock item to the drive train. An independent, in my opinion would be a better option.

· Premium Member
28,833 Posts
I've had some dealers tell me they don't know of the modded drive or what its all about and some tell me they would not install due to liability issues as not a stock item to the drive train. An independent, in my opinion would be a better option.
Yeah, I'm just talking about removal and installation of the driveshaft for modification. I do know of one dealer that actually did the install but have heard of many more that won't.

I tried to explain it to my dealer and I thought they were gonna chase me across the parking lot with a butterfly net.

· Registered
75 Posts
I just got the drawing from search and had my local machine shop do the drive shaft and sleeve,about $50.00, come to find out I didnt need the sleeve because my final drive was a 1400,that really added some confusion to my final drive conversion at first. I installed it myself after the machine shop had my drive shaft modded for the new rear diff. Just take your time and dont be afraid to ask questions here,everyone,for me,was really helpful. I've put about 6000 miles on mine after the conversion this spring, best thing I've done.

· Registered
670 Posts
Do the holes need to be wider or do they just need to be elongated toward the outside for the vs1400 drive??

· Registered
75 Posts
The 3 swing arms mounting holes had to be enlarged where it mounts to the diff and I had to grind away some of the inner side of the swing arm to clear the diffs tight fit. They say it's a fake swing arm anyway and didnt need to even be used,but I put mine back on.

· Registered
296 Posts
I tried the file in the drill to elongate the holes, but had much better luck with a carbide bit in a dremel tool. Ate it away in short order.

· Registered
670 Posts
I tried the file in the drill to elongate the holes, but had much better luck with a carbide bit in a dremel tool. Ate it away in short order.
I have something MUCH better than a carbide drill bit. When used with a die grinder, it cuts through even bolt extractors like butter. I just have to be very careful with it as to not chew all the way out.

· Registered
14 Posts
I elongated my holes with a rat tail file and vise grips because my drill was broken. Took about an hour to get the three holes right (the file was small and crappy too). I even have a die grinder and 60 gallon 2 stage Porter Cable air compressor, but my new apartment doesn't have 220 in the garage and I (still) haven't run a line to it...

That was just a couple months ago and I've put about 2,000 miles on it since and loved every one of them! I feel somewhat proud that I did it 100% by hand, though I admit it would have been nice to use power tools...

· Premium Member
413 Posts
There is a future benefit to elongating instead of straight drilling the flange holes bigger. If it's elongated and you go back to a stock drive it will bolt right on. The DJ Drives came with spacers to fit in 1/2" holes to cover this possibility if you drill it.

Wait... I just said "...go back to a stock drive..." BWAHAHAHHAA :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.