Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into getting LED bulbs for my signals from Biker Hiway and I came across this notice on their website:

Important Notice for Motorcycles with a Single Turn Signal Indicator Light
The Diode Kit for Metric Motorcycles is required when installing LED lights as turn signals on a motorcycle with a single turn signal indicator light. The indicator light is a little light on the "dashboard" which starts blinking when your turn signals blink. Some motorcycles may have two of those, one for each side. Some only have one, which blinks for either side. If this diode kit is not installed on those single-indicator motorcycles, power will back feed across the indicator light and all turn signals, left and right, will flash at once, confusing other motorists.

I have never read anything on this site about this and I know many of you have LED's. So, my questions are:

Have you heard of this?
Do you have LED's and did you have to use one of these?

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I have LED's in all 4 of my turn signals. I do not have a diode in the wiring anywhere. They work just fine.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
801 Posts
From what I have read the diode keeps all lights from flashing at same time, you need 1 set for each set. Although there may be some that are built in. They use diodes in things like smoke detectors in large bldgs. usally the last one in circuit gets enough power ( I thunk). Good luck.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
notorious_carl said:
Suzuki already has diodes installed on the turn signals to keep them all from not flashing at the same time.
That's what I was thinking, thanks for the confirmation.

shooterrex said:
I have LED's in all 4 of my turn signals. I do not have a diode in the wiring anywhere. They work just fine.

Ride Safe,
Rex
That's exactrly who I wanted to hear from; somebody who has them and doesn't need a diode.

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
A diode is like a one way valve. It allows current to flow in only the chosen direction. For dash lights that are incandescant the bulb filament could allow current to back up causing all lights to blink at once like four way flashers. This is NOT an issue for our bikes as the single blinker lamp is not incandescant, it is an LED, as in light emitting DIODE. It already is a one way only device.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I got my LED bulbs, Not from Biker Hiway though, I got these:
http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm#32_LED_Replacement_Bulb
from Custom Dynamics to replace the brake and all 4 turn signals.

I installed them and guess what? That's right, The turn indicator light on the instument panel stays lit all the time and my signals don't blink.

I had already replaced the stock flasher with an electronic one to slow down the blink rate when I converted my rear tun signals to run/turn/stop lights so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem so it must be this diode thing.

The thing is, when I frist went to install them I started with the fronts and neither of them worked so I got PO'd thinking I got ripped off. I then tried the backs and they worked fine; tuns, brakes, all was good. I went back to the fronts to see if there was something in the sockets or whatever and low and behold they lit. Thats when the light came on on the instrument panel and the blinkers quit. It seems there is something in the way the fronts are wired that creates the problem or maybe since the rears are converted they are now isolated from the problem, I'm not sure.

The whole reason for going with the LED's was because I think I was drawing too much power with all of the extra lighting; whenever I stepped on my brakes my headlight would dim. I think just repalcing the 3 in the rear is enough to solve that problem so I guess I'll just put the regular bulbs back in the fronts and call it good unless anyone has a better solution since I don't want to get involve in opening up the instrument panel to wire in a diode

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's not the indicator. There's something you're overlooking. If the indicator needed a diode the lights would all blink at once. If all lights are locked on you may simply have wired it wrong. There's nothing to be gained from installing a diode on a LED light.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I contacted Custon Dynamics and their tech support person said it needed the diode kit so I just asked for a refund on the 2 front (amber) LED bulbs; I mailed them back yesterday.

Now that I am thinking about it though, I should have tried another flasher. I have a solid state automotive type flasher that I got from Advance auto parts and I was thinking it may have a minimum load requirement in order to operate. Hence, the reason it would not operate with all of the LED bulbs installed. I suppose I could have tried a load equalizer or one of the many MC specific flasher units. I am still baffled by why the fronts would not work until the rears were installed.

Oh well, the bulbs are already on their way back to Custom Dynamics and the problem I was having with the headlight dimming is taken care of so I am happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
849 Posts
good to know custom dynamics took care of your request

1 - 12 of 12 Posts