1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,495 Posts
220ml

·
Registered
19,495 Posts
90wt gear lube. Most people use a multi-viscosity 80w90 or 75w140.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Forgot, What does Suzuki recommend for fluid for the final drive
The manual says SAE90 gear oil(GL5).

Many are using a synthetic SAE75w90. It will run a bit cooler.

The non-synthetic 80w90 works as well.

Don't get too hung up on the brand.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I just did my 2008 C50 this past weekend. Here's the thing... If you want to measure precisely, be sure you get all the old fluid out. I warmed mine up, let it drain on the side stand for 1/2 hour then bolted it up and put it on the lift. I filled using a 60ml Vet syringe and only got 150ml in before reaching the bottom threads of the fill hole. So I assume there was an ounce or so of old fluid still in there.

Next time I plan to keep draining it on the lift while also rotating the wheel to get all the fluid out then let it drain longer since the oil is pretty thick.

I used the Pro Honda shaft drive oil 80w-90 GL-5, since the Honda dealer is right around the corner and the Goldwing guys seem to like it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Pretty simple, just did it this morning.

Direct from the manual (except my additions in red):

FINAL GEAR OIL
• Keep the motorcycle upright (lean on kickstand so the old oil it goes in the pan).
• Place an oil pan under the final gear case.
Remove the filler cap 1 and drain plug 2 to drain oil.
• Refit the drain plug 2 (now stand upright, I leveled mine with a jack). Pour the specified oil (SAE 90 hypoid
gear oil with GL-5 under API classification) through the filler
hole until the oil level reaches the filler hole.
• Refit the filler cap 1.
"Final gear oil: 200 – 220 ml (6.8/7.0 – 7.4/7.7 US/Imp oz)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Pretty simple, just did it this morning.

Direct from the manual (except my additions in red):

FINAL GEAR OIL
• Keep the motorcycle upright (lean on kickstand so the old oil it goes in the pan).
• Place an oil pan under the final gear case.
Remove the filler cap 1 and drain plug 2 to drain oil.
• Refit the drain plug 2 (now stand upright, I leveled mine with a jack). Pour the specified oil (SAE 90 hypoid
gear oil with GL-5 under API classification) through the filler
hole until the oil level reaches the filler hole.
• Refit the filler cap 1.
"Final gear oil: 200 – 220 ml (6.8/7.0 – 7.4/7.7 US/Imp oz)

Oddly I've seen it written both ways for the draining. Owner's Manual said drain on kickstand, Service Manual said stand upright. (Both agree on filling upright BTW).

To me it almost looks like draining on the sidestand there is the potential to leave some on the "lip" where the housing changes size before you get to the drain hole.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Oddly I've seen it written both ways for the draining. Owner's Manual said drain on kickstand, Service Manual said stand upright. (Both agree on filling upright BTW).

To me it almost looks like draining on the sidestand there is the potential to leave some on the "lip" where the housing changes size before you get to the drain hole.
In comparison to the Diff oil used in your car or pickup truck.... the final drive oil in our bikes is way over serviced.... - in comparison.....

The service manuals I've seen recommend the drive oil change at the 600 mile point. You can install the synthetic oil at that point.

If you just bought the bike and want to put in synthetic..... change it - synthetic or what ever.

Changing the drive oil out to put in synthetic is one thing but once that is done, further changes are not necessary and could be viewed as a waste of resources.... ;)

I would not be too concerned with draining ALL the ''possible'' 220 ml from the drive - or with getting the total 220ml back in to the drive.

The purpose of the exercise is to replenish the additive package that goes with the oil - after getting rid of what ever ''contaminates'' come out with the draining oil....

If you only get 150ml back in to the drive before it is to the thread lip - that's good.... check it in the upright position... it is better to slightly under fill than to over fill and have it come out the vent and all over the back tire...

Just recheck the oil level after a short ride.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That's funny ( how much does the final drive hold) You cant buy the exact amount of oil you need. They sell it 1 quart size`s. Just drain it, put the drain plug back in and fill it back up to the top. Thats how much oil it takes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts