Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the instructions on how to do the valve adjustment from here and I put new spark plugs in... Put everything together triple checked... and now the bike wont start it turns over, the fuel injection sound like its doing something when I twist the throttle and it only fires up when I put starter fluid in through the carb... As soon as I let go of the gas it shuts off... Please help... I feel its a fuel problem of course but I dont know :curse:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Did you put the vacuum lines back on the sensors (there are two of them, each one goes to a venturi(looks like a carb)).

Did you reconnect the fuel line and the fuel pump connector under the fuel tank?

Look for a connector that you didn't reconnect or might not be connected all the way!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe I checked everything... but here is a picture of what I have... If you need more pics. let me know... I dont know what the petcok is though.. and I hope the pics can be seen

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
I'm going to step out and let the carb bike experts help you from here on out, mine's FI.

To clarify: I re-read your OP and it indicates that you can in fact get the bike started with starter fluid as long as you give it some amount of twist on the throttle and then when you let off the throttle it dies? Sounds more like a vacuum problem to me...but as I said, let the carb experts chime in.

Good luck on getting it fixed! You came to the right place, but everyone's got spring fever and is out riding...except Duffy :)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Looked at your pics but couldn't really tell if you have a 3rd hose on the black plastic 'upright' part of the connector.

Should look like the letter 'F' turned upside down and have hoses on every end.

·
Registered
296 Posts
How many times did you try to start it? I just got done doing my valves, and it took about 6-8 times of trying to start before it kept running. Mine is a 2001 Volusia, so it may be different than your FI. I thought that I maybe had done something incorrect, but a few more tries got it going.

·
Administrator
53,918 Posts
oxrider said:
I got the instructions on how to do the valve adjustment from here and I put new spark plugs in... Put everything together triple checked... and now the bike wont start it turns over, the fuel injection sound like its doing something when I twist the throttle and it only fires up when I put starter fluid in through the carb... As soon as I let go of the gas it shuts off... Please help... I feel its a fuel problem of course but I dont know :curse:
Be careful using the starting fluid. Very easy to destroy the head gasket(s) with over use of that product.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thank you, you were right that little F piece did not have one of the tubes plugged in .. now i have a different problem... she starts, and is running really loud in neautral and as soon as i put her in gear she turns off... and just a THANK YOU to all who are helping me with your knowledge... could it be that i didnt do the valve adjustment correctly??

·
Administrator
53,918 Posts
oxrider said:
Well thank you, you were right that little F piece did not have one of the tubes plugged in .. now i have a different problem... she starts, and is running really loud in neautral and as soon as i put her in gear she turns off... and just a THANK YOU to all who are helping me with your knowledge... could it be that i didnt do the valve adjustment correctly??
Is the kickstand lowered when the bike stalls in gear?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Right,. Sounds dumb but check the kick stand.The Petcock is the thing(valve) that comes out of your gas tank that you took pics of.Your gas lines connect to it.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
OTG said:
I'm going to step out and let the carb bike experts help you from here on out, mine's FI.

To clarify: I re-read your OP and it indicates that you can in fact get the bike started with starter fluid as long as you give it some amount of twist on the throttle and then when you let off the throttle it dies? Sounds more like a vacuum problem to me...but as I said, let the carb experts chime in.

Good luck on getting it fixed! You came to the right place, but everyone's got spring fever and is out riding...except Duffy :)
I did get a bunch of work done on the bike however (valves adjusted again). Still a bit of work left before the Ronnie Rally but not much.........

Since my bike is FI also I'll pass too. (I agree about the vacuum thing though).

·
Registered
786 Posts
oxrider said:
By "running really loud," do you mean that it rattles/chatters? If so, that could be due to the valves being too tight before you did the adjustment, and they now sound as they should. Many have described the normal sound as "an angry sewing machine."

Let us know how things progress for you.

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
WELCOME, new member.

Pete

·
Registered
375 Posts
Instead of starting fluid which will damage a motorcycle engine try using propane gas from a torch. Kawasaki mechanic with team Kawasaki told me about this. Starts my atv even at sub-zero temps. Just allow propane to blow into breather like the starting fluid and bike will start if there is spark. Engine will safely run on propane without damage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts