Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 07 c50 has a full fairing (quadzilla) with the stereo and the whole nine. I'm thinking about removing the stock shield and cutting/bending some diamond plate into a small 6 or 8 inch shield to take its place. But here's my issue: I'm not going to just slap some raw metal plate up there. Its too thin. Too flimsy. Should I double it up? Put some plexi behind it in the same shape to give it some sturdiness? The seam would probably look terrible looking at it from the side in either of those options. Any advice? Also...leave it chrome? Or paint it black. Thanks in advance and as always, ride safe.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
On a bike, for me I really rather not have anything that can become a knife to my face in a crash. Polycarbonate is scary enough for me. But your bike do as you wish it does sound cool

·
Registered
947 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the thickness of the material. The curvature you'll be putting into the metal to form to the batwing will increase the resistance to bending (from the wind) significantly. I have a co-worker that did the same thing you are thinking of & he used polished aluminum kick plate material. The sheet used was about .090" thick with the diamond standing above that.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Looks like the existing windshield is about 12 or 14 inch height. Why not just cut it down to the desired height?

When I replaced the stock windshield on my Nomad to a fairing I immediately noticed reduced view of the area immediately in front of the bike. It seemed weird at first but something that I quickly adjusted to. By putting something solid in place of the clear windshield you are going to reduce it that much more.

Just my $.02 as well.

Reactions: ME2k

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the existing windshield is about 12 or 14 inch height. Why not just cut it down to the desired height?

When I replaced the stock windshield on my Nomad to a fairing I immediately noticed reduced view of the area immediately in front of the bike. It seemed weird at first but something that I quickly adjusted to. By putting something solid in place of the clear windshield you are going to reduce it that much more.

Just my $.02 as well.
I plan to keep the stock shield. The top sits just above eye level for me so it's perfect for the longer trips. I was just thinking about riding the other day and I was like "how can I get a little bit more wind without eliminating my stereo?" And bam! Shorter shield. Diamond plating? Yep. Sounds great. Maybe I can eliminate the possibility of the metal sheet acting as a guillotine by filing the edge and installing a rubber strip along the top?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Why are you hung up on diamond plate ? It's going to look like what it is, you went to the hardware store and bolted a piece of aluminium to your fairing.

Just my opinion but I think I think a black 6-8 inch plexi shield would look a lot less "amateurish". But it is your bike.

(posted by the king of bolting amateurish stuff on his bike) :biglaugh:

Reactions: ME2k
1 - 7 of 7 Posts