Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my decision on selling the C50 is to get a VTX1300 or the newer Stateline 1300 , my deal with the C50 is the lack of power, the gears are to short and 5th gear at 70+mph I feel the bike is going to explode, I want a little more room on the HWY so I thought a 1300 bike is a nice middle size for me, I'm 6'1" 215lbs, my problem is VTX1300 for around U$3.5 to 4K in my location wont get me much meaning I still have to buy pipes,power commander, apes,floorboards etc..etc...to have the bike the way I like it and that adds up to at least another grand , a Stateline/Sabre 1300 is on the 6K price range and also no pipes, no apes...nothing...what can I do to the C50?? DJ Drive??? Im afraid to drop another 500.00 plus on the C50 and still only have a 800cc bike thats worth U$3K tops.... :crying:

· Administrator
16,716 Posts
Dj drive will take care of the highway buzz no problem.

It will not give you more power.

Reactions: Lois Mack

· Registered
127 Posts
I owned the vtx for 5 years. They are nice bikes no doubt and honda sold a lot of them. The 1300 however is not FI. The c50 just feels more comfortable for me, actually it fits like a glove and I think is better cornering. Capt. Cruiser is right the dj drive will cure the highway buzz. As soon as I put on one in June I quite looking at bigger bikes. If money is a problem go for the drive. If not so much than the 1300 is a good option. Chuck

· Registered
3,807 Posts
Depends on how soon you want to trade up (or in). If you keep looking, you will find some of the options you want on the bikes offered. Unless of course, you want to be the one to hand pick the various add-ons with the increased cost to you. If you wait until the middle of winter, you may find some lower prices to save some money for the options you want. Then, wait until spring is underway and sell your bike (if you can do it that way).

Here, the freeway speeds are 75mph and people do it. If I can't, I become a danger to myself and others. While the c50 will do that speed, it certainly doesn't like it. On the country roads at 60-65mph, not much problem at all (although some say limited passing ability). I hope to put in a DJ drive this winter, depending on what cash I get for Christmas. I will ride with the DJ setup for a year and see how I like it. If I don't, I will part out the options I have and likely sell the bike or wait for some old lady to run over it in the parking lot. Then, change out to something smoother on the freeway.

· Super Moderator
9,644 Posts
Dj drive will take care of the highway buzz no problem.

It will not give you more power.
Read the last sentence again. ^^ It's a fact. If it disappoints you, then don't waste your money on a DJ modification.

The DJ mod will make the Volusia/C50 into a better bike. It will not make the Volusia/C50 into a bigger bike.

Just my opinion, based on my experience. Your mileage may vary.

· Premium Member
248 Posts
I guess it's all relative. After 10 years on my Shadow VLX600... The C50 is so big and smooth and powerful I can't imagine needing anything bigger smoother or more powerful. Probably after ten years with it, I will. Hope you find the answer for your needs.

· Registered
324 Posts
If you do go with a 1300, go with the State Line or V Star 1300, as they are both are fuel injected. The VTX is not and is very cold blooded especially in your location.
You will have to let it warm up a long time or play with the choke while driving.
I speek from experience.

· Registered
21,421 Posts
There's no replacement for displacement. Save the DJ drive $$$ and get the bigger bike.

· Registered
8,321 Posts
I have to agree with Scrap..........I put a DJ drive on the C50 and it was a much better riding bike but still not enough grunt. I opted for a 1500 Kawasaki Classic, the C50 and 3K-but it was a "bare" Classic. Still have the Classic (6+ years and 33k miles later). I haven't regretted moving on from the C50.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you do go with a 1300, go with the State Line or V Star 1300, as they are both are fuel injected. The VTX is not and is very cold blooded especially in your location.
You will have to let it warm up a long time or play with the choke while driving.
I speed from experience.
im in south florida its warm 364 days of the year... :wayhappy:

· Premium Member
24,484 Posts
Ok, so my decision on selling the C50 is to get a VTX1300 or the newer Stateline 1300 , my deal with the C50 is the lack of power, the gears are to short and 5th gear at 70+mph I feel the bike is going to explode, I want a little more room on the HWY so I thought a 1300 bike is a nice middle size for me, I'm 6'1" 215lbs, my problem is VTX1300 for around U$3.5 to 4K in my location wont get me much meaning I still have to buy pipes,power commander, apes,floorboards etc..etc...to have the bike the way I like it and that adds up to at least another grand , a Stateline/Sabre 1300 is on the 6K price range and also no pipes, no apes...nothing...what can I do to the C50?? DJ Drive??? Im afraid to drop another 500.00 plus on the C50 and still only have a 800cc bike thats worth U$3K tops.... :crying:
Do your ride solo or two up? The DJ Drive WILL make the bike much more comfortable on the highway and I found even around town. It was one of the best mods I made to mine and I did many long trips with it. It will not add more power but I never had trouble keeping up with much bigger bikes.

Physical size the VTX1300 will be a little bigger but not much - and it will be heavier. I don't know if that makes a difference to you but the bigger the bike the heavier. Some that does not make a difference. But some it can and I have seen many times here a member trades their 800 for a bigger bike and are unhappy.

It sounds like your on a budget and adding the DJ Drive and possibly a couple other comfort goodies will be cheaper in the long run that buying another slightly bigger bike and having to totally start over with accessories. And if you ever decided to move up to a bigger bike you can always remove the accessories and sell them. And there is always the possibility of getting a bike that has mechanical issues. At least you know what you have right now right?

I can tell you I was at this point several times and I decided to go with putting a little more money in my Volusia and ride it another year or two and I was always happy. I decided if I ever moved up to another bike it was going to be a big touring bike and have a list of things I did not have to add to it like hard bags and dual exhaust and such. I added something to my Volusia each year and put money aside in an account specifically for a bigger ride. That sum grew slowly but it was all worth it.

I finally ran across a deal I couldn't pass up this year and moved up to a big touring bike and was very happy to pay cash for it. I still added a bunch of stuff to it though. :biglaugh: I do like the much bigger bike, but a bigger bike is more work at low speed than the Volusia was.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ride solo...wife hates bkes...I rode the C50 today and I love the sound, the ape hangers, the floorboards etc...I think I ll invest on the DJ Drive and keep it...I had an 1500 mean Streak and I hated the heavy weight to move the bike inside my garage

· Administrator
16,716 Posts
I ride solo...wife hates bkes...I rode the C50 today and I love the sound, the ape hangers, the floorboards etc...I think I ll invest on the DJ Drive and keep it...I had an 1500 mean Streak and I hated the heavy weight to move the bike inside my garage
I think you'll be extremely happy with that decision.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the more I look for a larger cc bike the more pissed I get...yesterday I had a "local" used bike dealer tell me he can give me 1000.00 on my C50.....WTF?? I turned around and left...what a joke....with that said I think I ll invest for sure on a DJ Drive, some paint and powdercoating...on the C50 and make it a keeper for a while...I really enjoy the bike...I just want a less busy engine at high RPMs

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.