Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched all the videos and it seems simple enough. I just have a few questions that some of ya'll might be able to answer. If you take the baffles out, will it void the warranty on a new bike? For those of you who have done this to the pipes, how much trouble do the police give you, or is that even a problem? I ride it to work everyday since gas prices are out of this world.

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
What Auburn are you from????? I lived in Auburn NY at one time. If you go back to your profile screen (from the main screen) put your state in in front of Auburn (the state drop down box does not work).

You will void the pipe warranty. If the dealer can blame any problem on the debaffle then they may not honor the warranty on something else but that is not likely.

All states have laws against messing with the exhaust so the cops/inspection stations could give you grief but I haven't heard of any problems.

·
Registered
848 Posts
IMO, the debaffled pipes are not near as loud as some aftermarket pipes (HK Big Straights). The noise ordinance differs from state to state. Some stealers (dealers) might frown upon debaffling when doing warranty work. Some say debaffling cuts down on fuel economy, but if you remap the FI or rejet the carb, the difference will be negligible. IMO, the best sound, using the stock pipes, come from debaffling and demickeying, but it doesn’t compare to the sound of a good set of pipes (IMO, HardKrome 3” Big Straights).

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Gutted stocks will always sound more muffled than aftermarkets because the OEM's are lined with a perforated sleeve with fiberglass insulation sandwiched between the cover and the sleeve. And they have those skinny pipes coming off the engine which restricts a little. I took the back plate, baffle, mickey and front plate out of mine and it's pretty loud. Just doesn't have that "bark" found in the straight pipes.

There is a drawing and pics in my gallery of the stock guts.

·
Registered
916 Posts
You will definitely void your warranty !!! However, If you are careful and followed the videos on how to pull the baffle you will love the difference and I live in Mass. where the law is hard on pipes and nobody has ever bothered me on inspection...They just say shut off the bike we don't need to hear your engine" Easy, quick and done. You will lose some top end performance without the back pressure of the baffles...you can rejet (go to a pro they only cost about 40 bucks more than the kits and they know what they are doing...(a "jet kit" will cost you 65 bucks or more...the jet you will end up using will cost about 5 bucks !!! It's the tech and his meter that does the job. That is either carbed or F.I. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts