Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i did it i debaffled this weekend .left the mouse for now ,but i love the sound and the bike runs better between 55 and75 :lol: the only bad part i burn my drill up had to go buy a new one before i could finish. if your thinking about it do it you'll love it. just get you a good drill :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Debaffled

Hey, I'm new on this site. And was interested in debaffling my "05 C-50 and was wondering what all needs to happen and how long.... Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,953 Posts
Re: Debaffled

Rnajera said:
Hey, I'm new on this site. And was interested in debaffling my "05 C-50 and was wondering what all needs to happen and how long.... Thanks
Debaffling is easy stuff, follow the steps below & you won't have any problems.

Step 1: Open first cold beer. Take a 3" hole saw & 1 1/2" holesaw and remove the rear baffle plates in both pipes.

Step 2: Take a broom handle and insert it into the baffles and twist & turn until the baffles come loose. Take a pair of pliers and continue to work the baffles until they come out.

Step 3 (if desired): Take an old wooden baseball bat and insert the fat end into the pipe, beat the hell out of it until the mickey plate bends in far enough so that you can take something (prybar or other long metal rod) and break the 3 weld spots. Once the 3 weld spots are broken just use the same long metal rod to fish out the mickey plates.

Step 4: Apply bandages to knuckles effected by scraping various parts of the bike during steps 1 thru 3.

Step 5: Open 6th cold beer and fire the bike up and listen to the rumble.

Hope this helps. Once you're done, post here and let us know how you like it!

All in all, should take about 30 minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Baffled

I will give this a try next weekend, thanks.. I am concerned though, Only six beers??? Thanks alot..Appreciate the info. Will this require any work needing to be done to the fuel injection system??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Re: Baffled

Rnajera said:
I will give this a try next weekend, thanks.. I am concerned though, Only six beers??? Thanks alot..Appreciate the info. Will this require any work needing to be done to the fuel injection system??
Drill and go. No fuel adjustments needed on my C50 and I gutted the whole thing. Couple of other things to pass along. The fuel injected Blvds. do not sound as throaty and the carburetted Vols with just a de-baffle. Found that out when we had a Vol/Blvd de-baffle fest at my house a few weeks ago. And I have pics and a diagram of the pipe internals in my gallery. That should help keep you from flying in the blind.

Good luck, the bike will sound as big as it looks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
Re: Debaffled

Rnajera said:
Hey, I'm new on this site. And was interested in debaffling my "05 C-50 and was wondering what all needs to happen and how long.... Thanks
I just actually got mine debaffled Saturday. I did it all myself and I'm only recently becoming mechanically inclined. My drill burnt out as well as I started the 2nd pipe, so i only got one pipe done. But let me tell you, I think you only really need to do one pipe. It sounds awesome with only one pipe done. Anyone have any thoughts on that? This link is amazing for showing you how to do it.

http://www.archive.org/download/BytemanDocumentaryOEMPipeSawedmovOEMPipeSoundsmov/OEM_Pipe_Sawed.mov
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
big ed said:
Don't unbalance your engine. Do both. Get a cheap drill at Walmart and consider it the cost of the debaffle.
10-4 I figured someone was going to tell me that. I'll work on it this week hopefully. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Thanks

Thank you for the warm welcome N W Arkansas.. We are going to come thru there saturday morning on our way to Eureka Springs if weather permits.. Looks like you guys have some great get togethers, from your pics. We don't ride much with friends here they ride from bar to bar and try to hold the bikes up at the end of the evening... Don't get me wrong, i like to drink myself, just not on two wheels. Apprecite all the tips from you guy's.... You are a big help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
Re: Debaffled

jaster1138 said:
Rnajera said:
Hey, I'm new on this site. And was interested in debaffling my "05 C-50 and was wondering what all needs to happen and how long.... Thanks
I just actually got mine debaffled Saturday. I did it all myself and I'm only recently becoming mechanically inclined. My drill burnt out as well as I started the 2nd pipe, so i only got one pipe done. But let me tell you, I think you only really need to do one pipe. It sounds awesome with only one pipe done. Anyone have any thoughts on that? This link is amazing for showing you how to do it.

http://www.archive.org/download/BytemanDocumentaryOEMPipeSawedmovOEMPipeSoundsmov/OEM_Pipe_Sawed.mov
Actually here is the proper link. Sorry.

http://www.volusiagateway.us/Documents/HowToDebaffleVideo.mov
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
My two cents here from having done it recently: pay the extra twenty bucks or whatever for a drill extension and drill out the mickey plate, not bash it out with a baseball bat.

It will take you, um, 3 minutes for both pipes (mine did).

Mind you, I also had a friend with a nice 5 amp plug in drill (he's an electrician), oh, and he had the drill extension, so it was totally free for me.

His name is Darrell and he lives in Edmonton.

So if you can afford the trip up here, the debaffle is free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
Alberta Rider said:
My two cents here from having done it recently: pay the extra twenty bucks or whatever for a drill extension and drill out the mickey plate, not bash it out with a baseball bat.

It will take you, um, 3 minutes for both pipes (mine did).

Mind you, I also had a friend with a nice 5 amp plug in drill (he's an electrician), oh, and he had the drill extension, so it was totally free for me.

His name is Darrell and he lives in Edmonton.

So if you can afford the trip up here, the debaffle is free!
What really is the point in getting anything more than the first plate and baffle out on each pipe? It's sounds completely amazing with only one plate and baffle out on my right now. I'm sure after tonight when I finally pick up my drill bit replacement part, that it'll sound even better with both out, but I don't see any reason to drill any further into the pipe. Can someone explain the point of the removal of the 2nd deep inner plate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Debaffling

I had planned on the extension. I am not crazy about beating on my pipes, thanks for the info.. The Canada trip might be worth the debaffling..My wife was up there in Windsor back in Sept. she loved it..But i did get a Harley shirt from Thunder Alley!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
My experience here, and search for debaffling on the site, I have only been on here since August and I have already seen like ten or fifteen different posts asking the same question.

Anyway, listen carefully. It sounds tinny doesn't it. A certain gurgle in it? And it is louder than stock, a lot louder.

I took out the mickey plate (the middle baffle plate) and the sound dropped a lot. Not as quiet as the stock sound, but it did get quieter. And throaty. Real throaty. No tinniness to the sound anymore. And, as it seems that mufflers have a burn in, I have noticed that it got a little louder after a week.

Unfortunately, at an idle it is actually quiet, in comparison, but you twist it, much better sounding.

So if you like the noise, leave it.
If you wouldn't mind it a little quieter, but throatier, take out the second plate.

And if you've got the bucks, apparently a Vance & Hines system is the answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
Alberta Rider said:
My experience here, and search for debaffling on the site, I have only been on here since August and I have already seen like ten or fifteen different posts asking the same question.

Anyway, listen carefully. It sounds tinny doesn't it. A certain gurgle in it? And it is louder than stock, a lot louder.

I took out the mickey plate (the middle baffle plate) and the sound dropped a lot. Not as quiet as the stock sound, but it did get quieter. And throaty. Real throaty. No tinniness to the sound anymore. And, as it seems that mufflers have a burn in, I have noticed that it got a little louder after a week.

Unfortunately, at an idle it is actually quiet, in comparison, but you twist it, much better sounding.

So if you like the noise, leave it.
If you wouldn't mind it a little quieter, but throatier, take out the second plate.

And if you've got the bucks, apparently a Vance & Hines system is the answer.
With only removing the 1st (outer most plates) plates and the baffles, I think it sounds perfect mix of throat and volume. Nice healthy tone to it. I honestly didn't notice any "tinny" sound at all. I'm trying to stay within reason here personally. I don't want to attract cops everywhere I go, but I do want to turn heads...let's be honest. So I think just doing the debaffling normal is the way to go. Not arguing, just stating my opinion....and that's why I love this site...cause you guys will let me! :)
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top