Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all: I have a question. When aksed, the dealer where I purchased my new Boulevard said the the first service(very important) had to be done by the dealership or it would void my warranty. Anyone have any info on this? Is it true? Ride safe. little al.

·
Super Moderator
25,580 Posts
if you know "nothing" about bikes like me...do it...gives you a good opportunity to experience their work..I would ask up front what they charge and what the service includes. But do it somewhere, anywhere.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I negotiated the first service into the deal when I bought my bike. Retail was about $600 but, I'm sure it cost them a lot less so, it was a good deal all around.

·
Registered
23,543 Posts
If you let them do the service, ask them to also grease both ends of the driveshaft as Suzuki puts very little if any on them.

·
Administrator
57,126 Posts
Little Al,

As others have stated; I'd surely pin the dealer down as to the services performed and at what cost.

Good service departments will not only change the motor/transmission oil, and rear differential lube, but will perform a valve adjustment, not just listen to the valves - which is absolutely useless.

Another item, they should pull the rear wheel and hub, and lube the drive-shaft critical areas (as the above poster has suggested), plus the lube rear axle itself.

To answer the question regarding loss of warranty if the dealer doesn't service the machine.......baloney!
My Suzuki dealer has never serviced or adjusted the valves on My machine, however, they did replace My speedometer circuit board, and performed the recall service on the ignition switch wiring.....both warranty items.

I perform My own services, since I am qualified to do so, and if You are also qualified, save Yourself some dollars, and use the technical information on this site to assist with the job.

Reactions: scorpion46

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Hi all: I have a question. When aksed, the dealer where I purchased my new Boulevard said the the first service(very important) had to be done by the dealership or it would void my warranty. Anyone have any info on this? Is it true? Ride safe. little al.
Having the dealer perform the first service has always made a lot of sense to me.:wayhappy: Certainly a reasonable plan more so, If your dealer believes it's necessary to maintain the warranty, why not establish a working relationship with your dealers service department, if the cost is not totally unreasonable. With my first service one of my valves was out of spec and needed to be adjusted by the dealer.

The bike has to sit overnight so the engine is stone cold required for proper analysis and setting of the Valves. It's best to have an appointment.

·
Premium Member
14,512 Posts
Reactions: pbrider

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Read your owners manual about warranty requirements - the dealer doesn't dictate warranty terms, the manufacturer does. If I was told that by a dealer I'd turn on my heals and walk out the door - not a trustworthy group. Find another authorized Suzuki repair house and use them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: pbrider
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.