Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my laziness got me again. I've had the BOSS in my storage shed for a couple of months and didn't make myself get over there regularly to start it. Tried the other day and it turns over once and then "click click click". Damnit. And then I discovered while trying to take the battery out to bring home and charge that you can't take the passenger pilon off with the sissy bar/luggage rack I put on it in the spring. Double damnit.

On a side note, can you jump bikes with a car and regular cables?

·
Super Moderator
26,644 Posts
I would recommend buying a battery tender. You can get them for about $20 at Wally World.

Reactions: beezer

·
Super Moderator
59,947 Posts
When you put it back together put the pigtail for the battery tender on so you can get to it real easy.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a battery tender. But the bike is in a rented storage shed with no access to electrical outlets. So I had to take it out and bring it home. I just got back from putting it back in and she cranked right up. You can bet your buster I'll be over there every couple of weeks from now to crank her up. I'm going to be bringing it back to my apartment so I can ride in the cooler weather after I change the oil anyway.

·
Super Moderator
59,947 Posts
Get a larger battery and an inverter to plug the tender into and then just recharge the bigger battery at home every now and then. Just a thought.

Social distancing since 1954

·
Registered
46 Posts
Get a larger battery and an inverter to plug the tender into and then just recharge the bigger battery at home every now and then. Just a thought.

Social distancing since 1954
That's a good idea. I winder how long the bigger battery would last with the tender hooked up to it?

Some friends had to store their bike in storage. They didn't have a power outlet either. They ended up buying a solar charger for their batteries. It worked good until it was stolen!

·
Super Moderator
59,947 Posts
Another thought is to just bring a larger battery and hook jumper cables between the 2 batteries. Period. The inverter wouldn't be needed at all since they're both DC already. Just disconnect the larger battery before starting and riding and you should be good to go. The temperature of the storage unit is important because a battery's optimum operating/storage temperature is 77F.

·
Registered
19,813 Posts
Two points to be made:

1: Periodically "starting the bike and letting it idle" will damage the battery more than it will help. The engine does not put out its maximum current until around 4000 rpm. You need to either take the bike for AT LEAST a 30 minutes ride, or remove the battery and keep it charged at home.
2: Unless you have a security system on the bike, then your current battery is junk or a parasitic power draw. There is no reason that a good battery will self-discharge to the point that it cannot supply sufficient current to start the engine after only a short period of storage. Especially during the summer months. Cold will kill a battery. Heat has no affect.

·
Super Moderator
59,947 Posts
The optimal temp for a battery is 77F. At a constant certain point above that temp it cuts the battery life in half.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I would recommend buying a battery tender. You can get them for about $20 at Wally World.
5 to 9 bucks at harbor freight

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
19,813 Posts
The optimal temp for a battery is 77F. At a constant certain point above that temp it cuts the battery life in half.
Listen to Bob here. He is the closest thing to an expert on batteries!

Reactions: beezer

·
Super Moderator
59,947 Posts
Thank you John. I needed that extra boost of confidence for helping people in need

·
Super Moderator
59,947 Posts
I picked up 2 of those Harbor Freight $10 automatic battery tenders htlong mentioned yesterday. They were on sale for $5 (yesterday was the last day of sale). One was for a forklift and the other is for my Z3 when I finally get it from the shop and store it in The VooDoo Lounge for the winter. I made a pigtail for easier chargablity on the forklift since that model didn't come with one. The car won't be a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts