Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello yall this is my first crack at this so bare with me...i left the light on all night and killed my battery. This is my first bike and didn't know the right way about doing this so i jumped the battery from my wifes van before she left to the market(yes the van was running). After the lights came on i tried starting it and nothing but cranking. Sounds like fuel pump isnt priming as long as it did before when ignition is turned on. I changed fuel pump relay and checked all 10-15 amp fuses. Nothing helped....im lost and wanna get back on the blacktop. Btw it was running great before dead battery. Thx in advance

·
Super Moderator
25,274 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

So can you hear the fuel pump come on? If you hear it come on, it isn't the relay or fuse, regardless of how long it comes on for. What happens when you try to start it? Did it start when you had the van hooked up? You might want to get the battery tested. Most auto parts stores can do that for you. The battery may just be weak.

·
Super Moderator
20,502 Posts
the van was running...not good...rule no 1 on jumping...just hook the cables on and try to jump...never ever have the vehicle running...I never would have realized the damage this could do till I read that info here on the board when I first started riding...good luck with finding out the issue.

·
Registered
19,523 Posts
Never never never never never never never never never jump a motorcycle with a running automobile. The amperage output of the charging system on an auto is nearly 100 times that of your bike. Not only will it fry your battery, but it can also fry your electronics, melt your wiring harness connection and any of 10000 other problems. Pull the battery, take it to a shop and have it tested. If it is bad, buy a new one and pray it works, because the alternative is going to be really expensive.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Replace the battery and see if it will start...most EFI systems (not just the fuel pump) in vehicles get the electricity needed to operate from the battery...not the stator...trying to jump the bike with a running van isnt a good ideo...if new battery doesnt start it, hopefully it just fried a few fuses and not the whole computer system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

So can you hear the fuel pump come on? If you hear it come on, it isn't the relay or fuse, regardless of how long it comes on for. What happens when you try to start it? Did it start when you had the van hooked up? You might want to get the battery tested. Most auto parts stores can do that for you. The battery may just be weak.
Hey GA, it didnt start when i had the cables on, just kept cranking like it was needing fuel or something. Now yesterday i tried changing the fuel relay and checked all fuses. Nothing changed. Just keeps cranking over n over. No fuel or spark i dont know. I learned the hard way about jumping...i just dont want it to be the expensive way. Thx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replace the battery and see if it will start...most EFI systems (not just the fuel pump) in vehicles get the electricity needed to operate from the battery...not the stator...trying to jump the bike with a running van isnt a good ideo...if new battery doesnt start it, hopefully it just fried a few fuses and not the whole computer system.
Hey DavidC83, thats just what imma do this afternoon. Take the old one in for testing and see what they say...buy a new one if jacked up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so what's the verdict?
Hey guys so i found the issue. It was just a coincidence that at thw same day of the jump, i somehow damaged the brakelight switch connection. All it took was 2 new connectors and it started right up. What a mess it was for a week or so tho. Thanx to all of you who pitched in!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts