Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

de-baffled

639 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  big ed 
#1 ·
finally pulled the baffles on my C50T BLVD last night, baffles mickey and the next plate came out just fine. However....I noticed a small honey comb like disk way in there in front of the last plate, towards the end of the muffler where it clamps to the header pipe coming from the engine. The sound and performance is great, but after taking her out for a blast up and down the street last night, I looked in there and noticed the honey comb was cherry red !!!!!! anyone have this thing in there ? should it glow cherry red like that, almost like a clogged cat converter on a car. Was I supposed to take that out too..........Please let me know, going on a long run later today and want to be sure in can put the tools away, thanks in advance, and for previous input.

#2 ·
There is something you need to check here. I cleaned my pipes out too and I recognized a potential problem.

In my C50 pipes there is no honeycomb-like plate covering the inlet. But... the inside liner of your pipes are honeycomb-like. When I bashed out my mickeys and last plates I pulled a piece of that liner away from the ID of one of my pipes. It tore away at one of the tack welds.

Maybe this is what you are seeing. If so you need to get something long enough to reach up in there and beat it back into place out of the exhaust steam.

This honeycomb inner liner sandwiches a thin layer of fiberglass between the liner and outside wall to protect the chrome from heat.

If I'm off here let me know so I can learn something. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.