Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like 2022 picks up where 2021 left off...finding ways to break balls.....didn't even take that long either...what 3 days...whatever...

went to get tested yesterday before heading to visit daughter in NC leaving tommorrow hopefully early...drive 1/2 hour to place that doesn't require an appt...Dodd Stadium in Norwich......where some AA baseball team plays...been there before...usually a line but not too bad...hours 3-7...so we get there by 3:45...as I get close notice parking lot packed and 2 cruisers by the entrance...not good...sure enough, get to the entrance and told...try again tommorrow...not allowing any more for testing today...guess better than waiting and then being told ...sorry...out of kits...

so wake up today and see this when I boot up the laptop...

somewhere in Virginaia...probably rt 81 in Va......the road i take to get to NC...so guess yesterdays delimna could have been worse, could have been sitting in that...

kinda hoping the weather was going to be good for my visit...was planning to get some golf and fishing in while the daughter worked...guess i won't need to be packing those things now...not complaining mind you... f#ck it...yes i am...damn Zeuss.

·
Super Moderator
24,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never tense...a little annoyed...maybe more like disappointed...but thankful I wasn't among the many stuck sitting in that mess with no end in sight wondering when the roads would be cleared enough so driving could resume...freezing temps, watching the gas needle approach empty, no rooms available for those lucky enough to get off the highway...and here I set in my recliner, under a comforter, hot coffee and a tray of crackers and cheese...listening to classical in the backround...and I'm complaining...maybe i should go outside and sit in my car for an hour or two without turning it on and then have something to complain about...guess I owe The Big Rider Up There for keeping me safe and warm... yep...maybe like the wife often tells me...turning into a crotchedy old man after all... guess its time to reevaluate the situation.

·
Super Moderator
31,407 Posts
There are homes for sale in places where that doesn't happen. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
22,905 Posts
Watch the S.C. weather. Florida panhandle had snow yesterday. Of course it melted right away. With your luck, you'd be on the course, playing like shit, hit with lightning 🌩, run over by a golf cart, fall out of the ambulance and then bit by a gator.
Be happy about the postponement.
Is that a happy pep talk????

·
Super Moderator
24,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my kind of positive thinking...thanx for the pep talk Fred.

And Whiskey...the thought of having to pack up all this junk that still remains even tho i am making a seious attempt at getting rid of most of it, tiring just to think of it...and I'd miss the seasons,,,even the cold miserable ones. We did consider SC a while back...

·
Super Moderator
31,407 Posts
I get it. I've thought about moving once or twice, but then I look around and think I'd only do it if I could sell the house with the junk in it and buy new junk later. That, or get rich enough to hire one of those companies that packs and moves it all for me.

·
Super Moderator
24,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get it. I've thought about moving once or twice, but then I look around and think I'd only do it if I could sell the house with the junk in it and buy new junk later. That, or get rich enough to hire one of those companies that packs and moves it all for me.
believe those things usually start at about 20 grand...in todays times, probably more...I could never justify paying 20 or more grand to have someone come in, pack all my stuff and bring it to a new place...then again, to furnish a new house with decent furniture and replace alot of the stuff I would not be taking, probably an even trade off...would still have to hire a uhaul for the memory keepsakes...and the thought of having to lift and load all the furniture at both ends of the move...don't think the back could guarantee it would cooperate for more than a couple of pieces... light ones at that...see now why people just chalk up the 20 grand as a new home/moving expense.

·
Super Moderator
24,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
reading some of the stories some went thru in that area, hope anyone/everyone living in that area were not on the roads...have to laugh at the folks who were upset with State of Virginia for not having some system in place to have food and water brought out to the people stuck out in that mess...even those who took the train...Amtrack...were victimized when trees fell over the tracks and found themselves sitting and waiting also...

then there are those poor souls who made the mistake of flying somewhere for the holidays...a gamble in itself in today times considering all the cancelations not even weather related...so they figure...f#ck it...can't wait here forever waiting for this airline to get me on a plane...head over to the car rental booths and agree to pay the unrealistic and home mortgaging price it will cost to rent a car and drive home...only to find themselves in that mess also...ouch...

and then those like my wife who rather gamble riding on empty cause theres more than enough gas in there to make it home instead of taking the opportunity to take a few minutes and gas up just in case...yep...they too probably don't understand when the car eventually runs out of gas and they call AAA, why AAA laughs at the other end and tells them..."Sure...we'll send someone right out"...

guess a few lost their lives from this...probably froze to death...sorry to read that...and can't blame the many who found themselves victims to this storm...its a way of life here in the north,,,snow storms...you drive slow, allow for a longer trip time wise and use common sense... and for the few who really didn't need to be out during that time but chose too...it was their call and hopefully will learn from it.

·
Registered
22,905 Posts
Years ago when stationed at Fort Lee in Virginia, we had a slight ice storm. It was funny to me since we have much worse here in Indiana, but they shut everything down.....including the base.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's been a tough winter everywhere. We had three days of this for Christmas. Daytime temps in the high 50's again though, so I'll be getting out for a ride. :ROFLMAO:

Plant Building Sky Window Snow

·
Premium Member
3,972 Posts
Had a snowstorm in Virginia Beach one year, city shut down for over a week. Got caught driving home from North Carolina. N.C. was out grading the roads with road graders. As soon as we reached the area near home the Interstate was closed. 3 1/2 hr trip took 8+ hrs, most of it in Virginia.

·
Super Moderator
31,407 Posts
believe those things usually start at about 20 grand...in todays times, probably more...I could never justify paying 20 or more grand to have someone come in,
That's why I said "get rich enough". 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You know, States, counties, city and towns have to balance/gamble where they put there money. Sometimes the gamble pays off and sometimes it does not. In Virginia, it is a big gamble on treating roads with salt since it is on the line of around for a day or a week. If they had to maintain all that equipment. None of that works on wishes and fairy dust and when the bill comes around someone has to pay. Then you see it, taxes go up for a what if...
A happy story I heard from the news, (yeah isn't that rich, good news from the news) a person behind a bread truck called the dispatcher and asked if the driver could pass out a couple of loaves of bread because they were hungry. Dispatch said, "they will see what they could do" Next thing you know, the driver opened up the back of the truck and off loaded all his inventory 300 loaves of bread and helped pass it around to anyone and everyone who wanted something to eat.

·
Super Moderator
24,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A happy story I heard from the news, (yeah isn't that rich, good news from the news) a person behind a bread truck called the dispatcher and asked if the driver could pass out a couple of loaves of bread because they were hungry. Dispatch said, "they will see what they could do" Next thing you know, the driver opened up the back of the truck and off loaded all his inventory 300 loaves of bread and helped pass it around to anyone and everyone who wanted something to eat.
read a story about that...kudos to the bread company and the driver...funny how in certain situations, people can rally together and make the best of a bad situation looking out for each other...read a story also about a truck driver in a semi noticed an elderly couple sitting in their car behind him...invited them into his cab and used his microwave in the cab to make them a breakfast.

·
Premium Member
3,972 Posts
There was one lady, on her way home from FL, handed out a bag of oranges she was taking home.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
For the most part, I do not like people. But these stories make me feel warm inside. NOW STOP IT! ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: scorpion46
1 - 20 of 43 Posts