Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after spending the weekend with the gang here in the north at the OctoVRFest Rally in Gettysburg, Pa…I headed a little further south to spend a week enjoying the mts and country roads of West Virgina.
One word…heaven. Got to like roller coasters as it seems your forever either going up or coming down a mt…Roads are pretty much vehicle free…as well as gas station free also…so you quickly learn to top off whenever you pass one.

and a "never ending sign" around every turn...

Final highlite to the weeks vacation was having my two best friends come down from Ct to join me in whitewater rafting the Gauley River on friday,

something we’ve talked about doing for years but never could seem to pull the trigger on doing. Being so close, and with the annual big releases scheduled this time of year, it was time to finally either poop or get off the pot…. was everything we hoped it would be and left me promising my daughter to make the trip again next year to do it again with her….

(make sure you view video below on full screen)

pretty much like the video only we had a great raft guide....we never flipped...still...can't be afraid to get wet or go for a swim....7 rafts left...7 rafts returned...no casualties...but alot of smiles and alot of laughs.

Shame its so far away…would make for a fun trip for the gang to do together…who knows…maybe one day. Like they always say…"plan it…maybe they”ll come"…..

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a son-in-law that is a rafting guide on weekends on the upper Hudson. I kid him that he has never lost anyone because he knows where the body will pop-up and always goes back to drag them back on the raft.

Looks like great fun.

Reactions: DCinCT

·
Pearly Gates Chapter
4,789 Posts
Top Five

Glad you had a safe great time Dennis. WV is one of our most memorable rides ever.....Both mountainfezt(Morgantown) and south of there Webster Spring.......New River Goerge ....Cass Railroad.....Seneca falls/Rocks....Seven Valley resort....Beautiful riding. Thanks for sharing your miles of memories......Love to go back........hmmm..... First stop CT.

·
Super Moderator
26,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Way cool Dennis. Aren't those roads to die for?
just one right after another after another...and then,first its 70 degrees and then its 40's...you wonder what happened..then the you realize your a stones throw from the windmills atop the mts...moments later its warm again.

·
Super Moderator
26,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you had a safe great time Dennis. WV is one of our most memorable rides ever.....Both mountainfezt(Morgantown) and south of there Webster Spring.......New River Goerge ....Cass Railroad.....Seneca falls/mtns....Seven Valley resort....Beautiful riding. Thanks for sharing your miles of memories......Love to go back........hmmm..... First stop CT.
they have this yearly weekend New River Gorge Festival where they shut down the bridge and let certified people jump off the bridge...

Official Bridge Day 2014 Information | Bridge Day October 18th 2014 | October 18th 2014

supposedly draws about 80,000 folks. Been going on for the last 35 years and even more surprising, with less than 5 deaths.

·
Super Moderator
26,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How many people have drowned on that rafting trip???

What is the surface of the road with no paint markings? It looks like it might be other than hard top. is it?

Thanks

Richard Boroff
I'm sure over the years there have been fatalities...one would have to be naive to think differently...some rafting companies focus on adrenaline rush...most focus on safety. One has to do his homework and at least start with the picking what they feel is priority...I went with safety. Not to say the worst situation still could not happen, lets just say our raft guide focused more on a safer line than the deathdifying thrill.

as for the surface of the road with no markings...not a big fan of going down any any type of road thats neither hardtop or asphalt.

·
Super Moderator
26,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like a great time had by all.
Thanks for sharing Dennis. Surprised your SO didn't go eith you. Is she still doing ok?
yeah...missed having her w/me...especially at the rally... couldn't get off work...healthwise coming along...misses riding...maybe next year.

·
Registered
172 Posts
hope those in WV appreciate what they have in their backyard..
I do. Living in Southern WV (Beckley) I try to find roads with as little traffic as possible and plan to make a loop to bring myself back to home. I've probably ridden in about 12 counties of the 55 so far. My next one I'm thinking of going down Rte 52 thru Welch WV to a little town now since long gone mining town called Coalwood. It has some history I'm interested in hence The Rocket Boys - movie October Sky. Just to see what is there if anything.

·
Pearly Gates Chapter
4,789 Posts
Airborne.....baby

they have this yearly weekend New River Gorge Festival where they shut down the bridge and let certified people jump off the bridge...

Official Bridge Day 2014 Information | Bridge Day October 18th 2014 | October 18th 2014

supposedly draws about 80,000 folks. Been going on for the last 35 years and even more surprising, with less than 5 deaths.
No doubt Dennis.....that would be fun and hairy ....Guess if I could rappel from a blackhawk I can pull off a tiny bridge (exaggerating) ..maybe australian style too like we learned from the tower.....Don't do it...

·
Registered
404 Posts
West Virginia is hard to beat for a bike trip. Wife and I spent a few days down there in 2013 including the Gauley Bridge area. Way more to see, we'll return soon. Great pics, Dennis.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.