Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So time for my annual trip to the white mts of New Hampshire….

Day 1...saturday…

started with meeting a friend and member of the board here and his lovely lady Vicky for lunch…

had previously planned a lunch & ride in southern, NH on my way to the White Mts but rain pretty much cancelled any chance of that happening for any one considering making the trip to join…shame…afternoon cleared up…sun broke thru…turned out to be nice…and did get to enjoy a ride with Pete leading the way...got into the base camp while darkness settled in…good thing…one doesn’t want to riding a mc on these roads at nite…too many moose…deer…etc.

Did get a chance to test my rain gear on the ride up to the lunch meet…recently bought a pair of riding pants from a member here…supposedly rain proof and warm…turned out to be just that…good investment…have a history of win some...lose some…thumbs up on this one…frog toggs boots… purchased on my last trip here at the Whitehorse Cataloug Company here in Conway…also another good investment…riding boots inside…bone dry…brought 4 sets of gloves w/me…used the tourmaster all weather riding gloves for riding in the rain…did their job also…so far, so good.

Daughter arrived shortly after I did… came up to spend a few days with the ol man…looking forward to some quality bonding time w/her…wife unable to get the time off from work so also looking forward to some “me” time also…maybe selfish...but honest at least...weather looks iffy…can’t control it..will be whatever it will be...so keeping fingers crossed it allows me windows of riding time.

Day 2...sunday

having my morning coffee on the deck of my unit...

I get the feeling the colors have left...story of my life...so close...yet so far....

jen and I decided to take the car and go find whats left of the color....

I spend the ride explaining the crapshoot nature of hitting the foilage season here at the perfect time... the colors...sometimes bright ...sometimes dull...sometimes one can hit it perfect ...sometimes you just get here too late...like this year....she enjoys the show regardless...I play scrooge...bah humbug...colors suck. period.

Day 3...monday

part of jens agenda was to do some hiking while here...luvs to hike...talked about wanting to climb a mt...no better place ...so I figure...wtf...take the opportunity to show my little gal what her old man can do climbing a mt…"so you want to climb a mt...well then lets go climb a mt"...off to mt washington where we find out what it takes to climb a mt.......

as we pull into the parking lot..jen asks me if I'm sure I'm up to the task...I point to the little fellow

telling her..."if he can make it...then I can make it."

off we go....

see...piece of cake....like they say...old guys rule....eventually we reach the summit....

a moment to celebrate

and then the journey back down soon began...

somewhere along the journey back down... a cloud engulfed us...yeah...I'm there somewhere....

and made it back safely down....and called it a day....

stopped in Conway on our way back and I explained to her how "you haven't been to Conway if you haven't visited Zeb's"...

all in all a fun day...a bit tiring...and my little gal came away with an appreciation of what her old man can do....no respect I tell ya....

btw...since I was honest earlier about being selfish in looking forward to the "me time"....guess I should add this small tid bit of honesty too....about the only climbing on Mt washington I did was up these stairs to the summit...

and boy was that tiring...didn't think I'd make it....but I did.

·
Super Moderator
25,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Day 4...Tuesday

any womans getaway always includes a day of shopping, so before heading back home to Ct, Jen takes the car back to Conway and I head out on the mc to destinations unknown for the day...

now for those unfamiliar with the terrain of the White Mts...there are these 1500 lb. creatures that sort of lazily wander about clueless to the fact of the damage their size is capable of doing ...as a result you're constantly reminded everywhere you go to be aware...

now in the 9 years I have been coming here, I have been lucky enough to actually see 2 of these freaks...once on my bike during the day... a rarity...once at nite while we were in the car....luckily neither time I made contact. Even tho they're tendency is to come out at dusk, I decided i would try to see if i could find one and so north I went.

Close to the canadian border I came across this

and figured if it was going to happen, it would be here....

luckily in an area where the passing of an occasional vehicle would pass me, I crawled along for about 3 miles seeking and searching only to find myself having to face the reality that the 3 hour trip back before darkness set in would require I cut my search short. I guess for folks like myself, also unsuccessful in their attempts, one of the locals was gracious enough to at least leave this as some sort of consilation....

ha ha ha...everyones a comic today....a**hole.

so, somewhat dejected, I headed back...and came upon this...

pulled over and sat for few minutes, appreciating the effort this person had made to remind us all what we all take for granted...and how so many weren't so lucky to return home or for that matter return home as healthy as when they left...also wondered that perhaps maybe someone from this home was one who also had not been fortunate enough to return home...too many what ifs...guess one is suppose to take it however they need to read into it. Said a prayer for my son... presently in the navy... and for all the other sons and daughters also serving. Hope "HE" gets them all home, safe and sound, and soon.

Funny... how within a few miles ...we can be reminded what really is important...guess some of us need an occasional slap across the side of the head....lets just call it a guy thing...well..maybe "this guy" thing....

made good time heading back and was able to stop with a cup of coffee and watch another soul frolic about...

I haven't quite figured out yet if I think its fair or unfair for animals to be caged and used for entertaining....but the more I look at this guys situation...he pretty much has the run of the place...eats well... shelter if he needs it...other bears for company... and while he probably gets paid very little... probably has no bills...no mtg...no student loans...no car payments....like I often say...one of those things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.

·
Super Moderator
25,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Day 5…wednesday

Forecast for the next 2 days show probability of rain, so keeping fingers crossed rain doesn’t come early ,,,suit up and head out to cloudy skies….pointing the bike in the direction where the skies look most promising….west seems to be the direction of the day.

Shortly into the ride, I catch site of this

and somehow don’t quite see the connection from what I envision what a “speak easy” was in its day…then again…in this neck of the woods…it could very well have been likely that the population of this particular town could very well have been counted using the fingers on ones hand, and if need be, the toes on ones foot…so maybe this was their version…if only the walls could talk…

ok…moving on…I soon find myself crossing into

well...I did say I was heading west.....

pretty state...but really no different color wise than new hampshire...but skies cooperate and I spend a few hours heading north before heading back east and towards N.H....

Now still hoping I come across that big hairy 1500 lb. monster...my eye catches this along the side of the road...

so curiousity wins out...I turn around and wouldn't ya know it...

got give vermont credit...they take their moose sightings serious...so wtf...let see if it works...

up the walk...

take a look from every angle

nothing there...

nothing there either...

and of course...nothing there either...yep...got me...probably a camera mounted somewhere watching fools like me stop and actually expect to see anything....a**holes...

oh well...so not to make the stop totally worthless, I did find a tree and took care of some much needed business.....

Finally cross back into New hampshire and I glance down and well....

Now as some of us who often get ....well how would you say...careless...forgetfull...lax...whatever ...and this also includes the other gender who will never admit they are capable of such blunders...I realized that my gas gauge was in the 1 bar range...not knowing how long it had been in that range, I began my search for a place that would put my concern and unrest at ease.

In all honesty, I'm not the most church going, bible toting , holier than thou types...on the contrary, I'm quite the opposite...the hipocrite... the phony...goes to church on that one certain day of the year... and never too ashamed to ask for help when situations like this arise with of course making all sorts of promises that will never be kept to change my ways, pretty much just like all the other times in the past... even more sad is the fact i hope HE gives me one more chance and answers my prayer ...sad...pathetic..I know...is what it is...

anyhow...I go thru the routine...same prayers...same empty promises...again... and within a few minutes...I'll be damned...

see..."HE" really is quite the forgiving ONE...like I always say....ask and ye shall receive...

of course not to get greedy but it would be nice if there was a bathroom inside...maybe some hot coffee..good coffee of course...not some coffee that been sitting there all day...I mean..it doesn't have to be fresh..well..sort of fresh...maybe some fresh pastries too...I mean if HE's going to answer a prayer...might as well go all the way right.....right...anyone....

anyhow...as I get closer and pull onto the property.....

guess what...no gas...no pumps...no bathrooms...no coffee..nothing...

yep...must be having a big laugh up there...go ahead...big joke...all of you up there...have a good laugh.

a little further up the road...2 gas staions came into view...sigh of relief...more than happy to just get gas. Coffee would have been nice ...but hey...thanx for the gas. Coffee would have been nice tho. Even if just luke warm.

so gased up...heading back, and I start to notice an abundance of signs posted everywhere in this locale...

seems theres this war going on amongst the locals...sort of the old school vs the new school... "time to get with the modern ways" vs "if it ain't broke" philosophies....

been going on for a few years from what I can recall..... still no towers....tip of the hat to the old school for hanging tough even if in the end its inevitable....

so almost made it back untouched by the wet stuff...but a short distance from home...the drizzle began and up ahead I had this to accompany me back...

made it back safe and pretty much dry...think the BIG GUY UP THERE felt guilty. Coffee would have been nice. Just saying.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
As always, a great story.

BTW, I love Clark's Trading Post...it's my favorite roadside attraction in NH that I visited as a kid. Took my family there too and they loved it. They normally get their bears from the VT and NH Dept of Fish & Game. They have been abandoned, and sometimes have some birth defect/disability that does not allow them to survive in the wild. They've had bears there that have lived almost 30 years, well beyond their life expectancy in the wild, due to the diet and care they receive. They also have a large reserve that they live in when not "on the job". I would normally be against holding animals in captivity, but they really are doing so in a responsible way.

Reactions: DCinCT

·
Super Moderator
25,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it does appear they, the bears, are not lacking for anything...maybe a never ending supply of honey...other than that...seem pretty happy.

·
Super Moderator
25,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Day 6…Thursday

Finished yesterdays ride, riding in the rain and woke up to find more of the same…

make that…lots more of the same…turned out to be an entire days worth of the same....

for a split second considered the possibilities...

unfortunately....don’t think the cover will be coming off today…unless I decide to perhaps reorganize my saddlebags…yeah…sure…..

*************************************************************************************************

Funny thing…sometimes you get a craving to just be forced to have to spend the day doing nothing…maybe sleep in…drink a pot of two of coffee while you sit at the computer...on the vol site of course ....before you decide to even have breakfast or an early lunch…maybe even skip both and just feed on whatevers in reach junkfood wise…

think I need to go shopping...and quick....

anyhow...back to that craving..the one that includes a day with…no agenda…no appointments…no commitments… really no where to be other than where ever you feel like being…have had quite a few of those craving days…recently too…in fact so recently, the timing for this vacation couldn’t have come at a better time.

So having said that…came here to ride…I can do all my relaxing after I ride…in fact, riding relaxes me…soothes me…puts me in the zone…the happy zone…rain…well ...rain puts me in the “not-so-happy” zone….not complaining…just stating a fact. We’ve all been there..sure you can understand.

So I spend the day monitoring tomorrows weather and hopefully by mid afternoon tomorrow, the riding will continue...then again… could always call upon a certain someone to make it happen...

thought I was going elsewhere...didn't ya...sorry... see... theres this 48 hour "can't ask " period between prayers...its in the fine print...you all should know that...

regardless...the riding will continue…. rain or no rain…tommorrow, of course...

So for today, we see where the week has gone and what moments I can reflect upon…

While I found myself sulking earlier in the week about the lack of colors, there were some spots that did provide a moment of two of what makes New England special this time of year…

And of course spending the day w/Jen doing the Mt Washington thing…

will leave me with my best memory from my vacation here..

a little side note.......sunday nite, Jen and I chilled ou in front of the tv, sharing a pizza , watching the "outdoor" channel ,viewing some program about this 25 year old member of the other gender who has this passion for another type of enjoying rocks and mts...woman...always think they can do what we men can do...really..perhaps on a different scale of course...not saying a smaller or lesser scale....lets just say theres "his" mts and there are "her" mts....we'll leave it at that....

even went to morrocco to take on a personal challenge to see if she could achieve something she thought just would be maybe a bit more than she was ready or able to do...guess what...she did it...

so the next day, while we headed out , driving thru Franconia Notch...we came upon

as we got closer I started thinking..."like..how hard can it really be...

I mean...not to sound chauvanistic but if a woman was able to do it...a woman....let me repeat that...A WOMAN...come on guys...really....well then.....

good thing I didn't bring my climbing shoes...not that I actually own any or know what they actually look like...but if I had a pair...maybe next year...or the year after"...hmmmmmmmm...how about dem mets...huh.....

then of course there was that moment yesterday on my bike when I came over a ridge and for a split second

yep...thought I was headed for that dirt road..then I caught site of the sign...breathed a sigh of relief and made a mental note I owe a certain SOMEONE another good deed...also better make a mental note to pack some extra underwear too....

yep...days still young...

so maybe I'll head over to the fitness center...put in a good workout...then sit in the hot tub...then back here to plan tommorrows ride...

could always skip the workout...sounds like work...tiring work...who the h*ll needs that...came here to relax...right...maybe just go sit in the hot tub and plan tommorrows ride..

really don't feel like getting dressed tho...even if it is just a bathing suit...wonder if theres a local chinese kitchen that delivers...life used to be so simple.

·
Premium Member
2018 Voyager
1,322 Posts
Really enjoying your experience, thanks for the pics. I could do with a little less whining because of a little dampness while you are relaxing in sheer natural beauty while the rest of us are stuck at "THIS PRISON WE CALL WORK" . I"m done now , back to my cell. thank you.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I hope you had a chance to try some of the fudge that they sell at Clarks Trading Post. When I went by there a couple weeks ago there were two bear cubs in a tree about a mile down the road from Clarks. A lot of leaf peepers were pulled over to the side of the road looking at them. I didn't stay too long because I figured mama bear wasn't too far away. Oh, and not to rub it in, but I saw a moose in the middle of the road the same day on the Kanc. I stopped to let it move but it just stood there looking at me for about 5 minutes with me beeping the horn at it.

AL

·
Super Moderator
25,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
gof course....not even surprised....ridden the Kang too many times to mention and the only thing I have ever seen standing in the road are folks taking pics...but law of averages are on my side and each day without a sighting is one day closer to a day w/a sighting....so I tell myself anyway....so, maybe tommorrow...keeping fingers crossed and the camera ready.

·
Super Moderator
25,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could do with a little less whining because of a little dampness while you are relaxing in sheer natural beauty while the rest of us are stuck at "THIS PRISON WE CALL WORK
just preparing for my entry into "grumpy old man" stage .....met the age requirement...need to retire now... got the grumpy part down tho.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Dennis,

Enjoyed your tale and pictures. Always entertaining. Now, back to the grind of work. :cry:

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Thanks for sharing your trip.
Great pictures.

·
Super Moderator
25,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Day 7...Friday

the sound of rain falling had me closing my eyes again and sleeping a little more than I had planned on, but skies are clearing now and the sun is making an appearance, so it looks like The ZeusMiester woke up on the "right" side of the bed after all... will settle debts with him later...

so after spending some time last nite attempting to plan a ride, I decided to go with the Muhammad Ali-Joe Frazier method and just keep rotating rights and lefts, and hope that eventually I make it thru the day without getting too dizzy and able to find or stagger my way back to my corner/home base.

So...altogether now... Ke Sera Sera..whatever will be will be..hopefully a moose I'll see...ke sera sera...

yeah, I know...pretty lame...welcome to my world...came up with that one 2 days ago...been waitng for the right moment to use it....think I should have left it in the shower and go down the drain....one of those hmmmmm things, ya know. Later gang.....

·
Super Moderator
25,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well...it seems The ZeusMiester and the sun couldn't come to some agreement how long the sun was expected to shine for...... decided to start the day riding the first leg of the Kang to the first lookout and decide from their my direction of the day...

west looked.....

east....

no brainer....

along the way...

was reminded why I enjoy this cruise with my morning coffee...

they really do need do add some port a potties along this road...sucks getting old.....

finally hit the end and stayed away from traffic...

turn down some back country road, caught sight of this and had to turn around to investigate...

first I figured it was someones toy collection... you know us guys...

some things we just never outgrow...

but upon a closer look began to realize it could very well be a part of this...

a few steps closer..

talk about the perfect postal job....sell a few stamps...take a few rides to deliver the mail...train rides of course... had I only known these jobs were available...story of my life.....

moving along...rather quiet day ...found myself as per the usual...crossing the state line...

not surprised are you...

unfortunately colors here are no better than the colors in

I visited a few days ago...

but a ride is a ride is a ride and a little further up the road...

caught my eye and got to thinking what a "great retirement project"....

then I also got to thinking... the amount of throw away money these retirement projects require vs the amount of throw away money I have available for these so called retirement projects...well...not even close...see, those with some know how and talent to make it doable....vs morons like me who know nothing about anything...beginning to understand why folks cut their losses and put these retirement projects on the side of the road with a 4 sale sign in the window...obviously this owner came from my side of the family....

would have been fun...

pretty much a quiet day that provided little worth stopping to shoot...headed back to the ranch...one for the road

and of course my moose sighting of the day...

tommorrow is time to head home...will be stopping back in Brookline to meet Pete again and anyone else who decides to show for lunch and a ride...weather suppose to be better than last week...we'll see.

·
Super Moderator
25,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Day 8...saturday

up and packing...supposed to be a 30% chance of rain between 12-3...pretty much the cruising hours after lunch...keep fingers crossed the rain stays in the clouds...

been a fun week overall...got to spend some time with my "other" favorite gal...got to ride without having to watch the clock...only lost one day to rain...ate well...supported the local coffee shops very well...even made some use of the bathing suit taking advantage of the hot tub on the grounds after the days rides...

be nice if the ride home...with a stop along the way for a lunch/ride meet...finds favorable weather...at worst...rode up in the rain...ride home in the rain.

later...don't want to be late for lunch.

·
Super Moderator
25,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
and so it comes to an end...

ride to our lunch meet 100 or so miles away turned out to be a typical New England Ride...ride in the sun...then some clouds...then some rain...then some clouds again...then more rain..then sun...you get the picture...100 miles of that...lots of fun but made it pretty much dry as the rain wasn't heavy and never really last long enough to get any part of me wet other than my lower pant legs...God forbid I had put on my new overpants I wore on the way up that worked wonders...its a guy thing...wasn't suppose to rain till after we ate...figures...

4 folks showed up for the lunch/ride...vicki ...pete (peter69)...chip (rhody rider)...cindy (rella lou)

got there in time to enjoy a breakfast and swap stories about how to avoid spending an afternoon at the canadian border...btw...having a "Chucky Doll" strapped into the rear seat harness helps...

after eating...got to enjoy cruising parts of N.H. I don't often get to ride...Good choice on the roads Pete...nice color too...

when I got within 10 minutes of home, up ahead on the road I notice a wall of rain coming straight at me...quickly pulled over, rain came directly over me and left me drenched, but it also left

yup..a "double rainbow"...made it worth getting soaked for...

they say there's a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow....you know...it really doesn't look that far away...I wonder.....one of those hmmmmm things.....

day overall went nice...as expected...anytime you get together with this family its pretty much going to be relaxing, enjoyable and special.

******************************************************************************************************

Somewhere along my solo ride home after we broke up and went our seperate ways, I glanced down at something I keep on my front handlebar......

and it brought back the last years visit to my time share in Lincoln,NH with a few of the guys from the board here...one being the guy in the picture, Carlos...just a few of us getting together for a few days...sharing some laughs and enjoying the passion we all share in the world of motorcycling...

I keep that picture there to remind me to enjoy today for what today brings...enjoy the people in your life and never take anything or anyone for granted... keep it simple and leave all of the everyday BS at home when you turn the key...enjoy the ride for what it is...no matter how short or how long...and enjoy the people you meet along the way...they are what makes riding so special. I miss that guy in the picture, but he'd be glad to know we still find the time to get together, put the world on hold, and not take life too seriously. He may no longer be with us...but that doesn't mean...he still can't ride with us.

hope you enjoyed my journey this week...until next time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.