• Get a Wolo Bad Boy!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah, just get a beer and relax!

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

I've had a dash cam in my cars for several year, and thankfully have not had to use the recording. My in-laws did get into a minor fender-bender (not their fault), and I believe the fact that they had a dashcam had some say in satisfactory resolutions of the incident.
Although it is not very relevant in US, maybe not anymore at least, I believe the primary reason for a dashcam is to protect yourself from fraud and instances where people are jumping in front of the vehicles to collect insurance money. Secondary, should there be an accident, use it the footage to your advantage. Third, is just in case a

Joking aside, do you believe that a dashcam on a motorcycle is relevant? Considering one is riding with the flow of the traffic, and prefers to stay away from road rage?
I did have a couple of very close calls on a motorcycle (NYC baby, keeps you awake in traffic). If I were less fortunate, I probably would not have cared much for a dashcam footage (maybe in one instance). That said, a friend of mine t-boned a cab and it was recorded on multiple CCTV cameras in the area. Legally it probably helped, but a cracked skull is another matter altogether.

So should I get a motorcycle dashcam, a Wolo Bad Boy, or a beer and forget about it?

P.S. If you do have a dashcam on your beast, please share your experience.

Super Moderator
No dashcam, but I do use a GoPro on my helmet. I'm not religious about turning it on though. I have seen a few posts on Redit where the GoPro footage probably helped save the bacon of the person with the recording. Just don't post the video up on YouTube if you're riding like a moron, because I do recall one story where a guy kept blowing past cops and they tracked him down from his video he uploaded.

One way or another, stay safe out there.

Registered
I voted for the beer, but...

I have an action camera, very similar to a GoPro, that's mountable but I've never used it for that purpose yet. Maybe I'll get around to that sometime, but it's more likely I'll just get around to another beer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
No dashcam, but I do use a GoPro on my helmet. I'm not religious about turning it on though. I have seen a few posts on Redit where the GoPro footage probably helped save the bacon of the person with the recording. Just don't post the video up on YouTube if you're riding like a moron, because I do recall one story where a guy kept blowing past cops and they tracked him down from his video he uploaded.

One way or another, stay safe out there.
I do have a GoPro-like camera (was given one for my bicycle rides), and honestly it is a pain. Got to keep the battery charged, make sure you don't forget it at home, keep it on your helmet or take it off the bike, clear-out recording, make sure it records, etc. etc. etc. I would rather set it and forget it until I actually need footage.

And thank you, I'm doing my best.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I voted for the beer, but...

I have an action camera, very similar to a GoPro, that's mountable but I've never used it for that purpose yet. Maybe I'll get around to that sometime, but it's more likely I'll just get around to another beer.
I have a feeling this is going to be the trend :)

Registered
I have an Akaso camera (cheap version of the go-pro) that I use from time to time, mostly because I come across a lot of wildlife in my area. This pic is from a few months back, I rode past a family of black bears and was lucky to get some decent video of them as I passed by. Usually I just catch their backside as they run back into the woods.

-CG

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I have an Akaso camera (cheap version of the go-pro) that I use from time to time, mostly because I come across a lot of wildlife in my area. This pic is from a few months back, I rode past a family of black bears and was lucky to get some decent video of them as I passed by. Usually I just catch their backside as they run back into the woods.

-CG
That is kinda scary... reminds me of this tiger encounter: https://www.volusiariders.com/49-stories-road/417234-would-rattle-my-pistons-tiger-encounter.html

Premium Member
I have a dashcam in all my cars. Old habit from being in the Limo business. Definitely saved me thousands of dollars in insurance claims against us. I've used a GoPro knock off, but it's more to capture the riding experience than for recording an accident. Definitely considering it, but the hassle of keeping it powered and safe is more complex on a bike.

I also have a Wolo horn and that has saved my bacon a couple of times.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I have a dashcam in all my cars. Old habit from being in the Limo business. Definitely saved me thousands of dollars in insurance claims against us. I've used a GoPro knock off, but it's more to capture the riding experience than for recording an accident. Definitely considering it, but the hassle of keeping it powered and safe is more complex on a bike.

I also have a Wolo horn and that has saved my bacon a couple of times.
I would agree that for a commercial drivers a dashcam is a must.
There are motorcycle specific dashcams on the market, with mixed reviews and crazy price variance. Considering I ride a C50, there aren't that many body panels to hide the wiring under, and under the seat space is already crowded with other connections. GoPro is a pain, and I don't care for footage as much.
That said, if there is a need, there is a solution, I'm just not sure a dashcam on a motorcycle is worth the hassle.

As to the Wolo: in city setting it is probably an overkill, but highway speeds nobody seems to hear C50's dinky stock "meh-meh" horn.

Registered
I have a dash cam in my car that's hard-wired but on a bike I don't think I want another piece of electronic sucking the juice out of my already sensitive battery lol.

I also have a GP mounted on my helmet to catch some cool footage.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I have a dash cam in my car that's hard-wired but on a bike I don't think I want another piece of electronic sucking the juice out of my already sensitive battery lol.

I also have a GP mounted on my helmet to catch some cool footage.
Dashcam can be mounted through a relay. That said, I'm running out of space under the seat ...

Registered
I have a DBPower EX5000 mounted on my helmet, and am working on installing a dual camera setup with front and rear cameras on the bike and designing a mini-helmet cam mounted just between my eyes on the helmet so it sees in the mirrors what I see.

Here is a link of one blind/deaf/dumb driver that could have caused a lot of pain if I wasn't watching, ...

This is just one example of many close calls that I have recorded.

I can also attest to the fact that respect for the rider goes way up once the stupid drivers see a camera. This is why I got the helmet cam in the first place. The majority of stupid drivers turn in to respectful drivers out of fear of ending up on a youtube video showing their stupidity. However, there are always those the don' t give a damn if they are videoed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Wow, that is a scary one! I bet a louder horn would probably have helped in your situation...

I wear a Helite Turtle in reflective bright green, a bright helmet, my bike has some of the brightest lights I could find, and some divers still act like they are blind (see attached photo).

Here is a short video of me riding at night as recorder from my car's dashcam (wife driiving). You tell me what else should I do to attract distracted drivers' attention (I can't wait to see the suggestions >:))?

Attachments

Super Moderator
I have a DBPower EX5000 mounted on my helmet, and am working on installing a dual camera setup with front and rear cameras on the bike and designing a mini-helmet cam mounted just between my eyes on the helmet so it sees in the mirrors what I see.

Here is a link of one blind/deaf/dumb driver that could have caused a lot of pain if I wasn't watching, ...

This is just one example of many close calls that I have recorded.

I can also attest to the fact that respect for the rider goes way up once the stupid drivers see a camera. This is why I got the helmet cam in the first place. The majority of stupid drivers turn in to respectful drivers out of fear of ending up on a youtube video showing their stupidity. However, there are always those the don' t give a damn if they are videoed.

I saw that one coming a mile away. Dumbass with no blinker just slowly drifting all the way from the right to the left. Happens all the time around here. I was kind of hoping to see you toss a ball bearing at them once you got past. Hopefully one day they'll have a semi drift over on them with no warning just to return the favor.

Super Moderator
Wow, that is a scary one! I bet a louder horn would probably have helped in your situation...

I wear a Helite Turtle in reflective bright green, a bright helmet, my bike has some of the brightest lights I could find, and some divers still act like they are blind (see attached photo).

Here is a short video of me riding at night as recorder from my car's dashcam (wife driiving). You tell me what else should I do to attract distracted drivers' attention (I can't wait to see the suggestions >:))?

Naked Playboy Bunny on the back? I'm betting they'd notice you for sure then. :shades:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts