Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Sorry to bring up a dark side question...but I just bought my new to me 05 Ultra Classic, and decided to break open the cam cover plate to look at the cam chain tensioners. Unfortunately there was a lot of pitting and wear on the inside pad. Has anyone upgraded to the hydraulic tensioners, or gear system on there TC88? Or did you just replace the original shoes and keep an eye on them? Here's a pic of the outside shoe:

Cheers, Mac

·
Registered
572 Posts
They don't look that bad to me, from the picture. Have you checked the wear limits in the service manual. They give up to like .09" I think. Mine have been upgraded to gears, so I don't have to worry about that. Make sure you check the rear pad. It is known to wear the most.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
4,543 Posts
The time Bomb

Yes Joe I did this last years winter project/upgrade. This is a ticking time bomb...How many miles does the glide have? Should be looked at around 25k to 40k. Its all a guess when they go and can do major problems to your motor. Mine was around 32k when I opened it and went with the SE billet plate with Hi flow oil pump, it looked fine and smooth. If yours is pitted or chucks of plastic are missing, then its a good time to replace with some new shoes or do the Hdryl kit with some cams. Or do the SE BB and cams combo. Danny is right about the inside shoe, they wear faster. If your funds are low, just replace the shoe with OEM's and its good for 20-30k miles. I noticed a BIG difference in heat with the upgrade kit. Bike runs cooler and no worries about it going out during a long road trip. The SE kit upgrade and Andrews 21's cams is a great combo if you keep it a TC88. If your thinking to 95SE big bore, the Andrews 26 is the right choice. Both combo is a great cam for baggers. Hope this helps and any other question feel free to shut out, Best, D
What is the fuel management you are using for the FI?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,
The inner pad is worse than the outer. I have to make a big decision, bike only has 21k miles and I just bought it 2 months ago. As we pay a little more for our bikes up north, it was an expensive purchase already. But I think I'll do the hybrid conversion. I would have to get some help with tools and experience to check the crank run out to do the gear upgrade. I'll keep you posted as to which way I end up going. As the storms keep coming, looks like I'll have a few months to decide.
Cheers, Mac

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am also a big fan of the screamin eagle upgrade kit. Easy to install, lasts much longer than stock, better oil flow and cooling. About $500 for the parts. Or as duglaura says, you can just go low-budget and replace the OEM shoes with new, and check them again in 25,000 miles. Your budget and how many miles a year you ride will determine which is the better of the two options for you.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably lots of good tech advice here: www.hdforums.com
Thanks Beezer, There certainly is. I joined that forum just after I bought the bike. I wanted to ask the guys here what they have done, just to get another angle on this. Both sites are great for info, but I tend to come back here for most of my questions, as it seems more familiar, almost like asking your buddies for advice. :wayhappy:

Cheers, Mac

·
Registered
572 Posts
I am also on V-twinforum.com and HarleyDavidsonforums.com. They are pretty informative, also, but like you said I feel more comfortable on VR too. More familiar territory and personalities. :wayhappy:

·
Administrator
54,733 Posts
Mac, PM FX4.......Ron has practical experience with the HD motor upgrades.

Reactions: MACDBF
1 - 9 of 9 Posts