Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2007 fuel injected C50 and have a bit of a problem with throttle control at low speed. Whenever i am in slow traffic and gear down to second or third gear and then open the throttle slightly, the engine hesitates or stumbles for a split second and then is fine after that. No problem when getting on the throttle at normal or high speed. Also the exhaust pops whenever getting off the gas. From what i understand this has to do with exess fuel burning off in the exhaust? I had the same thing happen in the past with a v.star. Learned to live with it and after a while it kind of grew on me :lol: Anyway, am wondering if anyone else has had the above mentioned hesitation problem with the fuel injected C50 :?:

Henry.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
fortunatly not me tho I have gotten popping a few times on a quick decel...soft not loud.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum leak or small leak at the throttle body flange.

The popping is from unspent fuel blowing across a hot exhaust valve and exploding in the header pipe. This happens a lot with an unloaded exhaust.

·
Premium Member
28,197 Posts
henry postma said:
I own a 2007 fuel injected C50 and have a bit of a problem with throttle control at low speed. Whenever i am in slow traffic and gear down to second or third gear and then open the throttle slightly, the engine hesitates or stumbles for a split second and then is fine after that. No problem when getting on the throttle at normal or high speed. Also the exhaust pops whenever getting off the gas. From what i understand this has to do with exess fuel burning off in the exhaust? I had the same thing happen in the past with a v.star. Learned to live with it and after a while it kind of grew on me :lol: Anyway, am wondering if anyone else has had the above mentioned hesitation problem with the fuel injected C50 :?:

Henry.
Sounds just like what my carbed bike does (runs lean).

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Did you depair? The c50 models seem to do better with the pair valve from what I've seen discussed here. If the pair valve is still in place then it may not be functioning properly and a quick cleaning may be in order.

·
Registered
590 Posts
... check your plugs ... and check your header bolts (jic) ... those are pretty quick things you can check without having to enlist a stealer and may tell you alot ...

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OTG said:
Did you depair? The c50 models seem to do better with the pair valve from what I've seen discussed here. If the pair valve is still in place then it may not be functioning properly and a quick cleaning may be in order.
No , everything is still in place. The bike has only 5000 km on it. What is all involved with the cleaning of the pair valve :?: I checked the header bolts and they are all tight. I checked the ends of the mufflers and they seem to be very sooty. Normal?

Henry.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jimKo said:

The popping is from unspent fuel blowing across a hot exhaust valve and exploding in the header pipe. This happens a lot with an unloaded exhaust.
Would you be so kind and expand on the above meaning the "vacuum leak" and or a "small leak at the throttle body flange" Where exactly should i be looking in the vicinity of the throttle body? Sofar i have not gone beyond the valve adjustment and some mods :lol:

Henry

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RevBill said:
... check your plugs ... and check your header bolts (jic) ... those are pretty quick things you can check without having to enlist a stealer and may tell you alot ...
I will check the plugs as soon as i get the fuel down in the tank, as i filled the tank up the other day. I checked the plugs last fall before storing the bike for the winter. And yes the bike had the hesitation problem then too. Both plugs were a nice tan. The header bolts are good and tight :)

Henry.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
henry postma said:
jimKo said:

Would you be so kind and expand on the above meaning the "vacuum leak" and or a "small leak at the throttle body flange" Where exactly should i be looking in the vicinity of the throttle body? Sofar i have not gone beyond the valve adjustment and some mods :lol:

Henry
Henry,
Look around under the tank for any hose that may be loose fitting.
The TB is clamped onto the cylinder intake pipes.
Those clamps may need a bit of snugging.

Any loose or damaged hose that carries vacuum from the TB might lean the fuel mixture, which could cause a throttle stumble or the engine to stall at idle...

jim

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I had the same problem when new and a Cobra FI2000 fixed it whatever it was.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jimKo said:
henry postma said:
jimKo said:

Henry
Henry,
Look around under the tank for any hose that may be loose fitting.
The TB is clamped onto the cylinder intake pipes.
Those clamps may need a bit of snugging.

Any loose or damaged hose that carries vacuum from the TB might lean the fuel mixture, which could cause a throttle stumble or the engine to stall at idle...

jim
I thank you for the above information sir. Something to check on for sure. You may very well be right. If my memory serves me right i remember at the time i did the valves that i had planned to remove the throttle body, in order to facilitate getting to the valves. I did loosen two clamps at the time and then decided not to go any further as i was not too sure at the time whether i was going about it the right way, so just tightened the two clamps back up. Thinking back now it seems to me that the hesitation problem presented itself shortly after. So next time i take the tank off i will double check everything that you mentioned :) At this time i also want to thank everyone else for their suggestions. Have a good day all.

Henry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts