Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out my gallery and you can see the custom stainless steel mesh cover I made for my bike. Behind it is a K&N filter that has been cut down and recessed into the back of the stock air handler.

It is sealed in place and the holes in the base have been closed. I just installed a 170 primary and a 50 pilot, 2 spacers/washers on the stock needle, mixture screw set at 2 1/2 turns(as per Mcarbs). She pulls hard 1-3rd, and up to about 3/5's throttle in fourth. After that it fades like she's running out of steam, same in fifth, especially if I'm pulling a hill.

I have a 165 and 175 jet, and a 45 and 55. I'm not sure if I should go up or down in size, or if I should add another spacer to the needle. 50 50 chance I'll have to tear it down and do it again if I guess and rejet.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Put the 165 in your prob is on the top end(main jet). Just a thought.

Ride safe,
Rex

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
Then, after running a few miles, pull you plugs and check if your running rich or lean.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips!

I figured out that believe it or not, it was still running lean. Talked to Mcarbs and they suggested going to 175 primary and three shims behind the stock needle. Did just that and man does this girl run :D

I rode to work today and also from Rocky Mount, VA to Bedford ,Va and back. I pushed her pretty hard and the throttle response was great all the way across the band. Like a different bike :shock: It feels like their are 200 more cc's down there :D

So here's the run down on this mod;
K&N filter, $38.00
Stainless steel mesh, $22.50
1" by 1/8" by 8' aluminum strip, $7.00
Jet kit from Motorcyclecarbs, $51.00(only because I added one jet above and below for both the Primary and pilot)
Total cost, $118.50

You could probably knock 25-30 bucks off by ordering the right jets to begin with. Added bonus, I checked and I got 89.9 miles on 1.963 gallons, 45.8 mpg :shock: That's pretty d#*n good in my book :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts