Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best cure other than putting stock mufflers on?
I have a carbd vl800 with v&h Cruzers pair valve disabled and it pops a lot going down hill or just engine braking.
Stock air filter, im also sure there are no exhaust leaks.
What can be done to get rid of it?

·
Premium Member
8,038 Posts
Since it's a Vol, anytime you run aftermarket pipes, you'll need to rejet the carb. Disabling the pair valve is good, but rejetting is necessary, unless you go back to stock pipes.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The jet matrix says its not required. If I up the main jet will that fix it or is it the pilot jet/ a/f screw that needs a bigger size since the popping is when throttle is closed.

·
Super Moderator
25,577 Posts
just went thru that same issue with my 06 c90...purchased the bike earlier this year and was experiencing the popping on decil...bike...fuel injected...still had stock filter but aftermarket Roadhouse pipes...friend I ride with and member here suggested the problem was caused by a lean condition and he recommended investing in the GMan bully fuel processor...swapped out the stock filter with a K&N, installed the processor and the problem has disappeared. While the GMan seems to be geared towards the fuel injected models I'm sure other companies offer something for carbed engines that will help. have also found the GMan has options to set for more power or for better fuel economy...I have mine set at better economy and have found a 10% increase in my mileage ...from originally mid 40's to now high 40's and even hitting 50 mpg. Just came back from a 2k week long trip in the mountains of WV and with all the continuous roller coaster mountain climbing, great opportunity to see if the processor was the difference. In my case...it was. Good luck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just don't understand it because everyone else who has installed Vance and Hines cruzers said they didn't need to rejet the carb.
Might sell the bike for this reason, the decel pop makes me want to pull out my hair and its constant.

·
Super Moderator
25,577 Posts
considering selling the bike instead of just simply trying a rejet to possibly cure the problem...one of those hmmmmmm things.
so, get another bike...possibly now have to adjust to set of new minor issues...sell that bike and the list goes on and on...of course at some point Beeze chimes in and tells you to just buy a HD and that opens up another whole can of worms.
Good luck...hope you try the rejet before you dump the bike.

·
Registered
21,178 Posts
I just don't understand it because everyone else who has installed Vance and Hines cruzers said they didn't need to rejet the carb.
Might sell the bike for this reason, the decel pop makes me want to pull out my hair and its constant.
Who said that? I put vance&hines on my bike and had to install a fuel processor because of the lean condition they helped to create. If you go to the vance&hines website, it very clearly recommends rejetting the carb or installing a fuel processor when you put their pipes on, so I'm really not sure where you get that you WON'T have to....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well my last bike had an identical problem. It also had a seized a/f screw as does the Vol so I can't even adjust the mix. Would need a machine shop to drill the screw out which could easily ruin the carb body.
My own fault, should have got a fuel injected bike like I wanted.
And if you check past threads on popping, a good 90% are cured just by removing the pair valve which I've done already. I have a thread in the Jets forum where someone specifically said they have Cruzers on their carbed vol and didn't rejet, I don't see how one bike would need it and another wouldn't. I live at sea level too so not a lean altitude.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Mine pops on decel with the baffles in, but not with them out. I have a 132 jet in, so I don't know what the issue is...

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Mine pops on decal and I love it. I wouldn't change that little rumble for nothing, and my bike has been jetted. And it still pops, I don't care, I love coming down a hill and hearing that slight sound.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Mine is a backfire followed by popping...

·
Registered
198 Posts
have you checked for leaks? if you have a leak where the exhaust bolts on to the engine it will suck air in on deceleration and cause a popping or backfire. just a suggestion.

·
Registered
949 Posts
+1 I had an unexplained popping on my Nomad. Tightened screws holding pipes on and popping resolved.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Changed gaskets 4 times still the same. Couldn't see any cracked hoses when I took the tank off either. A bit of a gurgle sounds nice but mine is more like:

Pop pop pop pop....BANGBANGBANG until I stop. It was made worse when I rode to an area 1500ft above sea level.

·
Registered
21,178 Posts
You are running the bike too lean. You HAVE to re-jet. If needed, pull the carb and pay someone to drill out and replace the a/f mix screw at the same time. It isn't going to get better on its own.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got an unstable idle as well, its hard to hear but its there.
I just tried spraying WD at the pair valve connection where there chrome pipes bolt to the engine and I'm not sure but think I heard the idle increase.
Is it a common thing for the pair valve to get an air leak on the engine side?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Check your choke at the boot on the carb.

I turned my mixture screw from 3 1/2 turns to 4. So far, it seems to have taken care of my backfire on decel.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Get your mixture screw inlet drilled out. You will have much more control over the popping. it was recommended that I turn mine out 2 1/2 to 3 turns. I had to go out to 4 turns. It is running beautifully now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll see if it gets much interest for sale if it sells I'll buy another fuel injected one hopefully cheap during winter. But you're right I could do with a pair valve removal kit and that pilot removed and replaced. Plus valves done though its only covered 12,800

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.