Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in WV and the cold sneaks up on us fast sometimes and lasts a while. I am getting ready to change the oil in my c50 using Mobil full synthetic 20/50 and I am concerned about winter storage for my gas. I plan to fill it up and add the sea foam treatment to it in a week or so and ride it when I can but be ready for the end! LOL! Does this sound like a solid plan? I have never used the sea foam treatment so I am a little uninformed.

·
Super Moderator
65,647 Posts
Sounds great Mark just top the tank off when you are definitely done. Don't change the oil until you are ready to ride in the spring as just like the tank gets condensation so does the internals unless you plan on running it every now and then or it's in a warm garage.

Where at in WV? I work in Morgantown 3-4 times a year.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm in WV too I do the same thing, although I will ride a little on a warm dry day. Other than that, about once a week I open the garage door and let her run for 15 minutes or so.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I will take you up on that oil change...it makes good sense. The previous owner changed it before I got the bike and he only put 600 or so miles on it so I will wait till spring when I get ready to ride it every chance I get. I am actually in Vienna WV next to Parkersburg. Little over 100 miles to Morgantown from my place.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah....that is what I will do too. I am sure I will get a chance to ride now and then because winter is so fickle here we can have great days in the middle of December! Living in Beckley I am sure you do too.

·
Registered
21,181 Posts
20w50 is too heavy of an oil to run in cold climates. It stops flowing at temps below 20* and can lead to oil starvation if you ride in the cold. Use a 10w40 (good down to -10*) if you plan to do any riding at all this winter.

Any good fuel stabilizer will do for long term storage. I use Startron, but Seafoam works well too.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I will get with the dude I bought it from to see what he used in case I ride in the cold. I would say that I won't be riding in anything below 50 because I don't have my batwing yet and I would be a frozen popsicle at anything under 50. I won't do the 20/50 till spring time and make sure it has the lesser now. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.